Sunny And Hot In Yuma

Condor

32 minutes ago, Nevada Brian said:

I never get tired of seeing gold, good job.

Same here, Brian! I haven't been able to get out since the trip last month....so I live vicariously through others on the forum for now! ?

Nice gold. I loop the bungee around the handle of my GPZ and I clip the plastic Y-harness to two plastic D-rings on the shoulder straps of my Camelbak pack. Takes the weight off my swinging arm and the detector hangs down the front of my chest. The detector balances a lot better from the handle too instead of if you attach the bungee down low on the shaft. 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Tortuga said:

Nice gold. I loop the bungee around the handle of my GPZ and I clip the plastic Y-harness to two plastic D-rings on the shoulder straps of my Camelbak pack. Takes the weight off my swinging arm and the detector hangs down the front of my chest. The detector balances a lot better from the handle too instead of if you attach the bungee down low on the shaft. 

I fashioned a hipstick out of a fiberglass tent pole and attached the lower end to the bottom of the pack frame.  I then ran a short piece of cord from the top of the pack frame to the top of the hipstick and attached the bungy to that right above my right shoulder.  It gets the detector further out in front of me and transfers all the weight to the packframe and hipbelt.  I generally like to cover a lot of miles and want all my necessities with me in case its a long day away from the truck.  Tomorrow I'm working on positioning the camelbak bladder to center the weight a little more.   It's not the most efficient detecting style, but I like to keep exploring new ground.  A detecting harness just won't do for all the stuff I think I need out there.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Condor said:

I fashioned a hipstick out of a fiberglass tent pole and attached the lower end to the bottom of the pack frame.  I then ran a short piece of cord from the top of the pack frame to the top of the hipstick and attached the bungy to that right above my right shoulder.  It gets the detector further out in front of me and transfers all the weight to the packframe and hipbelt.  I generally like to cover a lot of miles and want all my necessities with me in case its a long day away from the truck.  Tomorrow I'm working on positioning the camelbak bladder to center the weight a little more.   It's not the most efficient detecting style, but I like to keep exploring new ground.  A detecting harness just won't do for all the stuff I think I need out there.

I've never tried a dedicated hipstick before. The GPZ is such a heavy beast it might be nice to use. I've got a big camping trip coming up and cuz the heat is still hanging around here in Arizona I've got to really pace myself between the hiking, swinging and digging. Gonna try and do five days out there.