A Computer Question Or Two

As many of you know, I ain't very smart...still, I have a question.

When I click on a topic about two or three posts down the image elongates and has vertical lines...this just started this morning and happens on other forums. Does anyone have a clue what is happening; does this mean my 7 year old Studio 17 is dying?

If it is dying what are recommendations for a replacement...for some poor not very smart soul like me?

thanks

fred

Fred,

You would be smart to get some type of backup if this computer is dying or not.  A simple consideration would be some sort of pad.

A pad computer doesn't work like the old computers where you need to know the 'windows' software that runs it.  A pad is more like a phone where everything is a app (application) that you just use.

Your email becomes an app, your yahoo becomes an app, your weather stations online become apps, your maps become apps, etc.

There are lots of apps for miners and anything you want just like your phone.

You will feel much smarter with a pad.

Mitchel

• Like 2

or a chrome book.:smile:my 9 year old loves hers. easy to use. also less than 200 bucks on amazon.

• Like 1

I include a chrome book as a pad.  No operating system knowledge required.

• Like 1

Ditto on the Chromebook.  Bought an HP Chromebook several years ago for $299 and love it.  

• Like 1

It's your monitor or video card. You could replace either one for around 100 dollars.

Backing up is always a good idea but you backup to save yourself in case of a hard drive failure. Backing up for display problems won't make any difference.

Thanks guys....very helpful.

Thanks Clay, This is a windows vista (7)...if that makes sense.

anyway, google is not supporting it anymore-I guess it got too heavy!

Still, what laptop is a good choice? Microsoft or Apple?

it is hard to ask the right questions with my non-expertise....

fred

Fred,

If you want a laptop they have 'operating systems' like DOS (old), Vista (old), Windows 7 (old), MacOS Sierra (Apple Only) and Windows 10 which is current and compatible with all Microsoft products.  Once again you start these computers with an Operating System and then you load programs that are compatible with that operating system.

You can't go to an Apple Store and get them to work on a Windows computer.  That is a big difference if you want to walk in and get help from Apple which is GREAT!

I have heard that if you buy from Staples or Best Buy you can get a service warranty where they will help you for the life of the computer.  That is more service than you would get from Costco.

Pads, iPads, Chromebooks and Kindle like computers have software that gets you on the internet and then you add applications.  Some of these programs work when you don't have internet but most of them are designed with an internet connection in mind.  They have few wires and if you want to print something that is wireless too. (You might have to buy a new printer.)

Google has all of the programs (word processing, mail, draw, photo, backup, spreadsheet, etc.) that most people need for free (not Windows Office) if you sign up for their account which we all do to get Google Earth.  When you use Google Earth it helps to have a bigger monitor so get one of those too.  Now you are set.  Big screen, little screen (both can be on at the same time), printer and word processing software/email programs.

You'll have a couple of USBs to upload your pictures and videos and Minelab findpoints and you send it all off to ICMJ for your next story.

If you really need photoshop or desktop publishing or a way to video chat then the Kia Soul SUV type of computer needs to be reconsidered.  You would then need a Suburban, Expedition or Rock Crawler.

The same basic question is always asked before you buy a computer ... what do you want to use if for most? (Not what have you been doing with the old one or what have you been missing  ... what would your dream screen and keyboard let you see and do?)

After you know what you want it is easy to find the hardware.

Mitchel

• Like 1