Garrett Z-Lynk Wireless Technology ( And A New Detector ) - Coming In 2017

Garrett News Release - Lightning-Fast Garrett Z-LinkTM Wireless Technology

As announced earlier this year, Garrett will soon be rolling out wireless technology. The first introduction, to be formally announced later this fall, will be a Wireless Transmitter/Receiver Kit that will work with virtually any brand of metal detector and/or headphone combination.

These wireless modules will employ unique Garrett Z-Link Wireless Technology providing a near-zero delay time between the detector and headphones. The Garrett units will operate six times faster than Bluetooth (the speed claimed by some current wireless transmitter kits). This means you are hearing the target signal while the searchcoil is directly over the target, helping you to pinpoint and recovery your targets more accurately,

The new Wireless Transmitter/Receiver Kits can be ordered with either a 1/4-inch headphone jack cable (PN: 1627100) or a Garrett 2-pin AT connector cable (PN: 1627110, for use on AT Pro, AT Gold, or ATX units). The transmitter and receiver modules can be recharged with the supplied USB cables by attaching them to your laptop, your vehicle's USB port, or to a phone charger's USB power block. When fully charged, the units will provide up to 30 hours of operation-significantly longer field time than offered by other wireless models.

More product information, including pricing will be announced later. Seen below is one of the Wireless Transmitter/Receiver Kits.

garrett-z-lynk-wireless-kit.jpg

Following the release of the new Garrett Wireless Transmitter/Receiver Kit, the Garrett Z-Link Wireless Technology will be implemented into future metal detectors and headphones.

One of the products sure to create attention will be a new All-Terrain (AT) product that is slated for a spring 2017 release. Just like the current AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, and Pro-Pointer AT, this new machine will maintain its waterproof integrity while adding exciting new features, including built-in Garrett Z-Link Wireless Technology for headphones. More specific details on this detector and other wireless accessories will be made available in early 2017.

garrett-z-lynk-wireless-specifications.jpg

• Like 1

• The title was changed to Garrett Z-Link Wireless Technology ( And A New Detector ) - Coming In 2017

Being an ATX owner I am kinda sorta tempted but I think the real solution for me personally going forward is no more detectors unless wireless audio is actually built into the detector. It just seems like a pretty basic criteria for any new high end detector at this point. So I will be interested in seeing what the new Garrett detector model looks like when the time comes. Presumably a refresh of the AT Pro? but just guessing.

• The title was changed to Garrett Z-Link Wireless Technology ( And A New Detector ) - Coming In 2017
  • 4 weeks later...

I'd seen the video already and heard all what was said. The only thing I wasn't the one that had the headphones on and swinging the detector. The video was all show and tell but I didn't see anything on price.

I just know I like the wireless on my XP Deus and if top quality wireless that be the only way to go for me..

Chuck

I have used wireless for quite some time now with the Auvio. But the main issue with those is battery life. On a hunt more than 4 hours I had to switch to my wired set so really what is the point? Just when you needed them they were dead... Battery life is the most important to me and with 30 hours life I'll have a set. 

First off, I find it interesting how close this is in almost every way to the Deteknix units, right down to the way the transmitter is attached to the detector shaft.  This Garrett (both transmitter and receiver) are a bit larger, likely due to its longer battery life (20+ hours compared to 5+ hours for the Deteknix).  The operating time between recharging is the obvious big difference between the two.  (We apparently don't know yet the cost difference....)

I have zero experience with other wireless headphones besides the Deteknix.  I'll say this much -- his comments about noticeable lag time for some wireless headphone systems do not apply the Deteknix.  As fast as I can X over targets I notice no delay.

Assuming the price is reasonable I'll likely get one of these when it comes out.  I bought the Deteknix model which comes with on-ear headphones.  (They also have the T/R + 1/4 inch female jack for the use-your-own-headphone crowd.) I'd like a system for my over-ear headphones which I find both more comfortable and better sound-blocking and now that Garrett is going to make them I'll probably go with theirs next.

One thing I find a bit disappointing in this video is the use of (Lesche) long handled spades in public parks.  It's different in the latter part of the video when they are in (private?) empty lots which are going to be bulldozed anyway.  I know some who don't even use the small Lesche trowel for digging on public property but rather just use probes/screwdrivers.  Even when used with extreme skill, the perception/image from the public is something that must be considered.

I have a lot of respect for Garrett.  It's safe to say they've played a very significant positive role over the years with the quality of their products, their widespread advertising, and other PR such as books and videos.  The size of the metal detecting world is (IMO) significantly larger than it otherwise would have been without this company's presence.  But with respect comes influence and the more public your image the more one needs to be aware of setting a good example.  For all I know the municipal park where they were hunting is fine with spade digging, but many viewers of the video aren't going to be so discriminating and I wish they had not shown this part.

• Like 1

Guys you have to remember that we don't have a TV show. I don't watch their show for the fact they get to dig where you and I can't go other than jail. That's the trouble now why one can't hunt now because of the backhoe tool to dig with.

Chuck.