Question For Tom (tboykin)

D&P-OR

2 hours ago, D&P-OR said:

Tom------If a person purchases a MX Sport---How do you know/how can you tell if you are purchasing one of the latest produced ones (one with the very latest "improvements")?--------Thanks------------Del

Hmm, hasn't Whites got SOMEKIND of answer/response to this question???-----I see their man is on the forum the last few minutes.-----I think buyers deserve/require some assurance of what they are buying (in regards to time line of production (or upgrades).-----I & I'm sure others may well be interested in this detector----but----------

Del, I was having lunch with my wife who works down the street. She has top priority. Internet forums are probably down around #17 or so. But if I have a minute to spare at the office instead of getting a cup of coffee or reading the news I will jump on a forum to see what's crackin'. I'm a big fan of German efficiency...

Here is what to look for on hardware - https://www.whiteselectronics.com/product-updates/

We shut the line down until 9-13-16, and used that time to ID, solve, and put measures in place to make sure that once and for all, the MX Sport was a solid choice for seasoned detectorists. We then revamped our production practices and began reworking all machines in stock at the factory and the returns we received from our dealers and distributors. It cost a lot of money but was our responsibility to do so.

Since we have a combination of reworked units and new assemblies out in the world, the best advice I can give you is to look over the machine carefully for any cracks. We did what we could to get them all back, but there may be some still out there that need to be worked on.

Although the "official" warranty is 2 years, the MX Sport is a special situation. White's will take care of any MX Sport owner with factory issues that we have seen.

In my first few months here I was blown away by the generosity and care that White's shows its customers (and the reason I will stay). It's not the most profitable business model, but it is the best way to create life-long customers.

If you have any further questions please contact the factory at 1-541-367-6121. It is the best way to get answers fast - sometimes I am out in the field looking for gold or shooting videos.

• Like 6

You will find that Tom is always more than willing to answer or help anyone in anyway he can.

I was there from day one when the MX Sport hit the market. White's and Tom was there to correct are make good any problem I had. The word no was never heard by me from White's.

If you've been reading some of my post then you know I know the MX Sport is one great detector. I'm not a dealer and anything I say good about white's MXS don't put a dime in my pocket. We all know it had a hard start but what was in the past I'll leave it there.

You can go buy a cheaper detector that is not waterproof and with a less weight problem if it is a problem for you. I'm no spring chicken at 75 and I don't have the trouble with the weight factor. The best thing is you can sing let it rain let it pour and I don't care no no more.

The Best to you if and when you get your MXS.

Chuck

• Like 2

Chuck - when I shot that crash test video the engineer mentioned the weight and made a compelling argument FOR it. Strength = weight, and as far as strength the MXS is a Sherman tank. It would not be able to take such a beating if it weighed 2.5 lbs. I have a Deus in my office that I was considering sacrificing to a similar test but I don't think it would survive a 6 ft drop onto concrete.

Some people may have a hard time swinging 4 lbs, and I understand completely. For those people there are lighter machines, as well as options to mount a detector to a wheelchair or walker.

• The title was changed to Question For Tom (tboykin)
5 hours ago, D&P-OR said:

Tom------If a person purchases a MX Sport---How do you know/how can you tell if you are purchasing one of the latest produced ones (one with the very latest "improvements")?--------Thanks------------Del

3 hours ago, D&P-OR said:

Hmm, hasn't Whites got SOMEKIND of answer/response to this question???-----I see their man is on the forum the last few minutes.-----I think buyers deserve/require some assurance of what they are buying (in regards to time line of production (or upgrades).-----I & I'm sure others may well be interested in this detector----but----------

Del,

Just an FYI, I sometimes get online to a forum and make a reply and then get called away or sidetracked from my computer, and during the time I'm away from my computer if the forum shows regular members "Who's Online" it my appear that I'm still there even though I'm not.

That being said and the following is just an assumption on my part but I believe that Tom joined and started being active on this forum because he's first and foremost a metal detector enthusiast and his love of metal detecting being that this forum is one of the best online, and not IMHO because he was directed to do so from his employers at White's, I also believe after joining this forum he took it upon himself being a dedicated employee to become a sounding board for White's and to become a go between for customers and White's helping customers with issues and giving updates on what's happening at White's and with any issues anyone is having.(Tom feel free to correct any of my assumptions)

I can personally assure you from my past experiences that White's truly cares about their customers and their concerns, I will share my very recent experience on this matter.... about a week or so ago Tom stated in one of his post about a coupon code for 30% off on any of their coils ordered on their website, I told a friend about the discount because he was wanting a new coil, he went to White's website to order the coil, it didn't appear the the code worked to give him the discount so I visited the website and discovered that he didn't continue any further than the first page of ordering the coil and the discount does indeed shows up if my friend had continued to the next page of ordering, so I told him this and he tried again and indeed got the discount, but then due to a software glitch when ordering only the particular coil my friend wanted the shipping options weren't showing up when he entered his shipping address and at that time he could of easily got the issue resolved by a quick call to White's because they would of still been at the office at that time, but my friend who tends to over react over the least little frustrating event in his life told me that "White's has lost a customer", I told him to not act hastily and let me check into it, well I login here and sent Tom a PM, it took a few hours before Tom visited the forum and read my PM, well to make a longer story shorter, Tom immediately contacted another White's employee, who it appears is another dedicated employee, got out of bed after 9:00 PM and went in to the office and resolved the website checkout glitch in very short order!!! default_yesss.gif

My friend was able to order his coil that night and after I told him about getting the issue resolved he was so impressed of the quick action of the employees at White's that he is now a lifetime White's customer!

Now I ask you to name another company that would react so quickly, not to mention get out of bed to handle the issue???

I know that our metal detector manufacturing friends in Turkey would act quickly, but I would tend to think they would of waited until the  morning to do so, but again that's an assumption on my part.

So my point is you should of given Tom the benefit of doubt that he wasn't ignoring your question and that he may very well be very busy or in this case went out to lunch with his wife and wait a little longer than a mere 2 hours before reacting. default_4chsmu1.gif

Skip

• Like 8

Tom----Thank you for the response to my question.-----The very first detector I ever purchased was a Whites.----That was over 41 years ago now and although I have owned/used many, many different brand detectors since then.---In my experience, with the Whites detectors I have had (and over the years) I can't recall ever having to send a Whites detector in for service/repair--so I think that's a pretty good "endorsement" for the company.------As to the MX Sport---wouldn't it have been simpler to just do a MXS total "recall"---and take it from there?----Or wouldn't that have been possible?------As it stands & from what you have said on the MXS---I think I will follow some of my oft given advice (and not always followed by me)  :) of waiting a year & taking another look--to see how things "shakes out".------One last comment & question though----years ago, I purchased Whites detector(s) directly from the Whites Company.------Can that still be done?---thus taking the "guess work" out of  the purchase of an MXS by KNOWING you would be getting the latest produced & "upgraded" MXS.-------Again, thank you for the answer to my question(s) Sir.-------------------Del (from Oregon)

12 hours ago, Hard Prospector said:

Speaking from personal experience, Tom has helped take customer service and communication to the next level over at White's. Some day if our paths are to cross, I'm gonna buy him a Starbucks or an IPA

I'll take ya up on that. Just can't have too many IPA's... My Grandma was Mohawk and my blood turns into fire when I drink.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Gold Seeker said:

to make a longer story shorter, Tom immediately contacted another White's employee, who it appears is another dedicated employee, got out of bed after 9:00 PM and went in to the office and resolved the website checkout glitch in very short order!!! default_yesss.gif

Skip - that "other employee" was me.... 

• Like 1