Question For Tom (tboykin)

D&P-OR

14 hours ago, dbsmokey said:

"Convincing dealers to carry flagship models can be difficult. The inventory may sit on their shelf until someone like you comes along. So for small time shops carrying more low to mid level units makes more financial sense. But that doesn't really help you out!"

Could this be because White's disallows most of its dealers from selling online, thus decreasing sale potential thus decreasing the amount of inventory a dealer is willing/able to carry?   Is anyone else amazed that in 2017 online sales are still discouraged? 

This is false! 

We want dealers to be active online in order to increase their sales. We have media kits for them to do just that, and every time I talk to a dealer I will usually bring up online promotion (i.e. website, eCommerce, Facebook, AdWords, etc). Our top dealers have websites and sell more of our product, and there's no "disallowing" or finger wagging about being online. Maybe 5-10 years ago, but not now. After all, it is CURRENT YEAR.

The fact of the matter is we have a lot of dealers who aren't comfortable with computers. When I ask them if they have ever thought of doing a simple website, running a Facebook page, or even just listing their shop on Google with some simple AdWords campaigns designed to increase foot traffic, some of them say they "don't have time for that" or "don't know much about computers or the internet." I usually offer to help them learn these skills, but have yet to be taken up on my offer. Which is too bad. It's the most cost-effective form of advertising out there.

I would wager that as more and more people shop online, dealers who refuse to adapt to the changing times will get Darwin'd and fall to natural selection. It is sad, as so many of the old time dealers have knowledge and skills that will be lost if this happens.

But as far as being active online, I think White's is doing better than the competition. Check out the growth numbers of our social media pages, web traffic, and search engine results. Definitely a focus for us right now, in addition to bringing some technological advances to the industry in the next few years.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, AussieMatt said:

You would also think that offering dealers any assistance they require to ensure your flagship detectors are on hand for perusal rather than offering "a little extra incentive to buy factory direct" or convincing them to carry flagship models would be more important to overall sales? Jeez if I was a dealer reading that I'd be livid! Hopefully the dealers have other brands that they can fall back on!

Respectfully - dealers get first dibs on any sale. If a customer has a bad experience or is unable to have their needs fulfilled by the local dealers, it is the company's responsibility to correct that. So if I see someone having a problem on Steve's forum, or Facebook, or anywhere else, I will do whatever I can to help them. From past experience referring a customer to dealer after dealer is a good way to lose them for life. Sometimes it is easier to deal with a company directly.

• Like 1

White's is doing much better these days Tom, and no doubt you have had a lot to do with that. You are right about that. However it was also true White's was 100% against dealers leveraging the internet when it all took off. Dealers were allowed a dealer page on White's own website, and that was it. Other than that, you were not allowed to even mention you were a dealer or advertise White's products on the internet unless you were one of the few special regional dealers. It made dealers into a police force turning other dealers in for perceived violations. Lots of destructive politics in those days.

I am not wanting to dwell in the past but those memories are fresh for some and no doubt where it is coming from. It is good White's is moving forward now. I do appreciate your efforts in that regard and your presence on the forum.

• Like 1