Update GPZ Audio Testing

Condor

I've been running the GPZ, here in Yuma by the Sea, with the In Ear Monitors (Etymotic)+ 75 ohm Impedance adapter + mini stereo amp.  My settings have been HY, Normal, Sens of 20, Low Smoothing.  The main difference for the past 2 weeks has been full stop minimum Threshold.  What I have found is that with more volume from the mini amp, I am hearing everything the machine has to offer with no threshold.  Mind you, this is all pretty quiet ground and I really make an effort to avoid the trashy areas.  Occasionally I hit the zones of red clay and the machine will heehaw to beat the band.  No bueno for these settings.  I end up running Difficult in those clay zones. 

As you can see from the the photos (past 2 mornings), I am finding some really tiny gold.  All I can say is without threshold, the Z's background chatter smooths to a hum over tiny gold.  They're a bugger to recover and I've walked away from quite a few that I just couldn't get into the scoop.  They are obviously so small that it's not worth the effort.  The big ones take care of themselves.  The 6 gram piece was down about 14 inches on a small terrace above the normal dry desert wash. 

This system is working for me because with 0 threshold I'm not bombarding my hearing with constant noise.  The Ety's are super noise isolating so I am hearing all changes in the background chatter of the Z.  The down side is I will have trouble hearing that Lion or rattlesnake if he gets after me.  Well, until that becomes a problem I'll stick to what's working. 

Nov gold 001.jpg

Nov gold 002.jpg

Nov gold 003.jpg

• Like 9

Yeah, running with 0 threshold might go against the "norm" but like you Condor I`ve also found it is another trick up our sleeves. One of the many ways to operate our machines that just aren`t mentioned in the manuals, but works out there.  In OZ we call it Bogenes after the old codger that advocated it yonks ago.

Hey Fred and Brett,

Give me a call or text when you are ready to meet up.  As far as the lions, a couple years ago I found the carcass of a full grown mountain sheep ram the lion had killed and drug the remains up and into the low branches of a Palo Verde tree.  Based on the decomposition and gnaw marks, he had visited the carcass a number of times over a couple weeks.  A friend of mine shot one in an archery hunt but lost the trail at twilight.  When he resumed the search next morning he found that it had not only died, but another lion was already eating it.   I see a fair number of bobcats, but they are really shy and don't weigh more than 20 lbs.  I'm a tough old bird, only two things scare me.  Women and the Police.  One might take all your money, the other take your freedom.  It pays to be wary of varmints of all sorts particularly them two legged varieties.  

• Like 2