Lackluster Reports From Australia On GPZ 19 Coil

jasong

The swing arm is probably going to be a must, Jokes aside I`ve another hipstick coming to add to left hip, well to trial anyway. Suspect we are going to have to carry our picks as when mounted high on back it interferes when recovering. No doubt someone will come up with a harness as we get down the track.

• Like 1

A well written report, I like when people post this kind of thorough detail.

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=291503#p291503

I don't know much about what Australian forums are out there so I'm just kinda following links.

• Like 3

That certainly is a concise positive report, they are starting to filter in, tis got me getting itchy to get out amongst it. For me I just trust MLs comparison with the 14", ordered my 19" many months ago. Be tops to see Nenads & the GHs report.

Sounds to me that the US ground will have to be the saviour for this 19" coil by being able to operate the GPZ in its Ground Type setting of Normal instead of Difficult as the majority of ground here in Oz dictates.

As in the post jasong refers too then thankfully the ground allowed the GPZ's Normal ground type setting to be used.

When operating my GPX in Normal, whenever the ground allows, and using a larger coil I too have found that a larger coil does indeed run quieter than with a smaller coil.  

Therefore I do need operate my GPX in Normal with a larger coil more often as I have become too accustomed with FG and Enhance and not checking if the particular ground I have chosen is too minerialised for Normal or Sensitive Extra.

• Like 1

There is not a simple correlation between the "normal" timing setting on the GPX and the "normal" ground setting on the GPZ. Its an apples and oranges sort of comparison. Sometimes the setting names chosen by minelab are unfortunate and tend to maximize confusion among the users. The naming conventions are hard to do. Its hard to convey the whole concept of a setting in one or two words.

This older post by JP makes some comparisons between the GPX and GPZ:

http://www.minelab.com/usa/go-minelabbing/treasure-talk/introducing-the-gpz-7000

Jonathan's comparison of the timings on the GPX to the GPZ are good as rough guides, but not perfect as in all honesty the GPZ beats the GPX by a fair margin with only a few exceptions. The last two summers I have regularly dug targets and found myself shaking my head when I get them out of the ground because of the depth the GPZ achieves.

• Like 1

After I picked up my 19 coil I ran it over some deep ground for a few days  that has produced some good gold for me however it contains some deep trash targets as well. The coil does catch on rough ground with the eight square sided holes in the coil and sticks get caught up in it. It does not slide easily over the ground.

The coil found 8 signals over 2 feet deep for me. The ground had rocks and I had a crowbar ready to dig the holes. I needed my little sadie coil on my 4500 to centre the targets when the holes got deep. All the targets were 1850's miners trash (including a saddle stirrup)...no slugs this time. I did find a micro nugget with my sadie on the dirt I dug from one of the holes.

The 19 did find half a dozen micro small shallow nuggets while I was looking for bigger nuggets.

Swinging the 19 coil all day and digging deeper holes did make me a bit sore and it will take me a few more weeks to get used too. You really need a good harness setup/custom harness to swing the 19 comfortably. I added 5 inches to my detector shaft (using purchased carbon fibre tube) to also keep the coil further away from my pick when swinging.

I like the coil. It ran smooth on HY and general with high gain 10-13 in low/moderate ground noise ground .  Its a coil for deep nuggets with some size.. the 14 inch coil is for most general detecting and rough/steep ground.

cheers RDD

• Like 6

The  19 inch coil is not a magic wand, you still have to walk over the ground, and I have found it does detect deeper 2-3g at depth over the 14 fact. The only addition I would like to see is some type of closed skid plate, maybe to fit the outer coils.

But in saying that the 14 is the go to coil .

• Like 4