Lackluster Reports From Australia On GPZ 19 Coil

jasong

It seems as if the initial results from Australia are not promising at the moment, still early though.

http://golddetecting.4umer.net/t24407-gpz-19-inch-depth-increase-i-don-t-think-so

http://golddetecting.4umer.net/t24439-our-air-tests-z14-z19

They really need a US tester going into the future, the prices are too high to buy based only on marketing brochures for some of us now (like me). Problem for me is many reports in Australia are generally from places you must run in Difficult whereas the SW here in the US is almost the opposite and we run our machines close to full bore in Normal.

Well, best of luck to those who bought one, looking forward to seeing your results. I'm just going to watch from the sidelines for this one, was considering buying a used GPZ for a quick trip to the desert to use this coil but doesn't look like it's worth the risk from the AUS results.

• Like 3

It can't be that bad. I just can't imagine Minelab would develop and sell such an expensive coil with such minimal improvement over the stock one. 

The same story has to have been repeated over the years whenever a new, hot coil comes out. Grumpy purchasers dump all over the new coil on the forums then later on you find out half of them don't even own it. I'm still holding out some hope for it. 

Jason,

Your more than right!  You get past the cheerleading and into some hands of everyday AU detectorist, the new coil is lackluster at best!  Makes you wonder why ML didn't have this coil in some competent hands of a USA prospector for review.  They had to sell loads more GPZ stateside, and to leave this expensive coil untested on American dirt...well what can ya say!  Minelab, you have my address send me one, Thanks in advance!

LuckyLundy

• Like 1

It seems like a larger coil should be getting better results for no other reason than it's bigger. But I really lack understanding about ZVT and it's implimentation in the GPZ so it's sort of like all we can do is poke a black box with a stick, observe what happens, and try to piece together a bigger picture from it. 

But I don't understand one thing: 2 of the 3 nuggets that were posted in the now infamous 13, 14 15 oz photo we now know were found with the 19" coil before the GPZ was even released with the 14" coil in March 2015. At least that's how I understand it, certainly the 15 oz'er was. So this coil was obviously working great almost two years ago. Why not now? I don't get it.

Maybe it needs some more time and test results.

As usual the focus becomes the marketing and the presumed accuracy thereof. Minelab would be better served to just release a coil like this and say "covers more ground, detects larger nuggets deeper" and leave it at that.

Here are Minelab's numbers regarding the difference between the GPZ 14 and GPZ 19 coils for reference http://www.minelab.com/usa/go-minelabbing/treasure-talk/the-gpz-19-coil-does-it-really-detect-30-deeper

• Like 7

Jason, is there a link to those infamous nuggets....I don't see how I missed it.....not a gpz owner..can't comment much other than let's give it some time. As I recall when the GPZ was introduced , there was a lot of negative post by many grumpy buyers. How things have changed...looks like the 14" gpz is doing just fine. For me....the  4500...and a new Evo 15 " coil.....to clean up those deeper nuggets..

Like Klunker said to me one time "a detector or new coil is not a magic wand". When the Gpz first came out. The were many naysayers.  But IMHO it is a far superior machine than any other PI, ever. 

Now the new coil is out, some people are badmouthing it. So what. It takes time to learn the nuances of it. Give it time.  

Word to Minelab ? . Treat us the same as your customers in your country. We have different detecting environments, and great detectorists too. Our $$ is just as good. So would be wise to treat us Americans the same. Just saying. 

• Like 4

For me I love new technology, and I have ordered the 19, just waiting for Minelab to ship to the USA Dealers. I believe I have taken the GPZ stock coil to the max on the areas I detect, and if it gives me even a 10% advantage I will be in the gold again. One thing I have noticed on deeper nuggets the sound is different in many cases which has a lot to do with soil type, shape of nugget or how porus the gold is, and the mode your hunting in.

The only thing I'm worried about is the open coil design and pushing through thick grass to get the coil closer to the ground. If the coil is heavier no matter, my right arm will just end up stronger than my left.

Remember follow the gold, where the gold goes I go.

I will be swinging a 19" one day soon!  Our (my) group of GPZ detectorist will see if this new coil will end up on 12 other GPZ's in our group.  We have deep dirt nuggets just for GPZ + 19" coil.  Open spoke design isn't an American favorite and we look forward to a smaller solid coil than the current 14".  The GPZ, is the top gold detector in the World.  I've never detected gold in AU, but this machine in the USA soils is perfect...hoping this new 19" coil will run on our soils just like the 14"...

Rick

• Like 5