Ground Coverage Difference Between GPZ 14 And GPZ 19 Coils

No, nothing to do with anything you said here Steve.

I'm just a guy who looks at detectors as a tool to do a job I love. I have to look at it like a job because I can't afford to do it as a hobby, so it's in my best interest to insure I understand how they work as accurately as possible. So I ask lots of questions and do lots of digging and as a result I've seen some take offense to asking the "wrong" questions in the past.

Also I'm a total gearhead, I just like figuring out how stuff works and talking to others with the same philosophy who see things I miss, and forums are great for discussing stuff like that. Doesn't work if people stay silent though. :biggrin:

Happy Thanksgiving!

• Like 7

"Reality is those big deep nuggets just out of reach are far rarer than people think"

So true Steve

It is just a matter of time before someone swinging a 19" walks over a thumper and things will settle in the realm of hypothetical comparisons. But as per normal there will be those who will still disbelieve no matter the evidence and those who believe without any convincing at all. For me the proof is in the pudding and that will have to wait until cooler days.

• Like 2

Guest Jennifer
On 11/24/2016 at 11:02 AM, jasong said:

That diagram with the winding measurements was added later, when I first noticed the blog post was updated there wasn't a second diagram showing winding measurements. They keep changing the literature. I'm not sure if you noticed the initial change to this blog post because of my post on 4umer which I posted a day before you did, but it was definitely editted again after I noticed the first edit. As I stated "if these numbers are correct and there isn't another piece missing"... I noticed the second part on your post but the numbers were too small to read.

The thing is, it's easy to brush aside marketing claims as unimportant, but there are laws in the US (and Australia) regulating this sort of thing, so it's not taken lightly. This industry has history of deceptive marketing and dealers operating under less than moral circumstances, things being said just to make sales. And ML chose to up to stakes by selling at such high prices, these are huge purchases for some of us, it's a responsibility of the customer to do the research. I understand there are lots of people maybe close to retirement or in retirement and with savings who can talk about how $10k detectors and $1500 coils are no big deal, but I'm not one of them and neither are a lot of other detectorists. These are huge deals to us, not something we can simply write off as a loss or lesson learned.

It's incumbent on the customer to test, not just for their benefit to improve field performance due to understanding their machine, but to determine if the product they purchased is even working as stated. Otherwise always we have to base purchasing decisions on is marketing material, which again, has a history of being deceptive in this industry.

I promise you that for every frustration you have regarding forum posters repeating history and their distrust of Minelab, I have equal frustations as being made feel guilty for asking basic questions that I feel are legitimate and should be asked but that I'll offend people if I do.

I understand a lot of people here are also dealers/friends with dealers/friends with Minelab employees/otherwise related to Minelab and as such take people's general discussion about products a bit more personally than do those of use to which these detectors are simply tools.

But the customers have to look out for themselves in this climate that the manufacturers and dealers created. That is just the reality of the situation. There is, and always be testing and discussion. This happens on forums for any other similar product. There will always be trolls, and always be cheerleaders, and always be the people in the middle who are just trying to determine if a tool is worth buying, there will always be techies and gearheads who are interested in the tech and trying to figure out how it works.

No one has at any point stated that they expect a coil to be magical, that I'm aware of. 

Very well said Jason..... BRAAAAAAAVO !!!!!!!!!!!

Jen