Solutions To Non-Motorized California Mining

Here's a few solutions to deal with the ban on non-motorized mining near any California stream.  The first is to process "select" material off site with a 12 volt pump driven recirculating high banker.  The second is to process material on site with a coffee can driven recirculating rocker.  The rocker requires 5 gallons of recirculating water.  After getting the hang of feeding, scooping and rocking, the amount of material the rocker processed was surprising.  The pay material is hammered and chiseled from an old cemented bench above Big Jackass Creek. The pay sets on a feldspar clay deposit 4 feet above bedrock (black slate).  Soaking the material prior to processing helps break up the heavy clay.  The third option is a battery driven metal detector. The claim sets right in the Melones Fault Zone. The workings date back to the 1850's with signs of ground sluicing, hydraulic and a few small pocket mines.  The placer deposits appear to be from a contact between feldspar porphyry and diabase located upstream on a lode claim. The only cabin site discovered is of 1950/60's, found some depression era trash.  Metal detecting to date has only produced recent poker change- pennies and dimes.  Several exposed quartz stringers in heavy thick brush but no gold detected. Been using both the TDI Sl and Xterra 705 with 5x9 coils, both detectors handle the ground conditions. Lots of magnetite. Use the TDI Sl over the serpentine. The smaller coils are a must, just can't sweep the larger coils in the brush while unwrapping the headset cable. Been looking at the Fisher F19 and F75 ($599 Xmas version) which both seem comparable to the Xterra 705 and AT Pro.  Like the option of searching for coins when hung up in the brush detecting for gold.  Any opinions on either the F19 or F75 compared to the X705?

Drift.jpg

Rocker#1.jpg

Recir HB#1.jpg

• Like 6

Yes, two 12 volt bilge pumps, Johnson SPX 2200 GPH with 1 1/4" outlets, lift approx. 5 feet, 7.5 amp each. Work great with classifier screens to filter out organics.  Purchased online from boating supply approx. $80 each two years back. You should be able to find on Amazon, try Iboat.com. In the field operate off 12 volt deep cycle marine battery.  Have a solar panel to recharge the battery. At shop off 120 vac to 12vdc convertor. Setup with Gold Hog mini excavator HB modified with two spray heads (1 1/4 reduced to 3/4 ), punch plate behind a reverse riffle to help break up clay. Approx. 25 gallons of recir water. Waiting for your book to arrive in the mail. Looks like it is packed with good info.

That is because the photo was taken before the rocker was mudded up. After using it you realize what the old timers had a partner. A lot like rubbing your head while patting your stomach and blowing your nose at the same time. Processes material faster than I can chisel. I posted the plans on the Gold Hog forum under prospecting equipment. Thanks for the read.

Beatup,

Not to get off subject but it appears you are in Wyoming. - A few years way back between Rawlings and Bags, came across an old log cabin with a shaker table setup. The cabin was along north side of a dirt road with a small stream to the south, a stand of black timber beyond on the NW side of Medicine Bow Mountain. We picked up the road from the east near the closure gate on on main road from Rawlings to Medicine Bow then headed west northwest on the dirt road around the NW side of the mountain. The cabin and shaker table had not seen use in some time. At the time I was in pursue of food, gold and silver were not on my mind. Might be worth a look.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Reno Chris said:

Are those recirculating  pumps for the high banker really  12 v units? Where did you get them?

They work pretty good Chris, nice and quiet too. you just cant run much hose since they dont have pressure like a gas pump. I also got my bilge pump on amazon for $50ish

Nice looking rocker there, Hardpack

test.jpg