Thoughts On The TDI SL ?

tboykin

I am curious what you guys think about the TDI SL.

To start off - I KNOW it's not a GPZ! Price, weight, usability... it seems to have em covered as far as the under 1.5k pulse market goes. Maybe it's just under-marketed. Hope it's ok to ask here, I really appreciate what a resource this board has been for me in my first year at White's. I figure what better way to get an answer to a question than go straight to the folks who know best.

So - let me know what you think about the ol' SL. Good. Bad. In-between. Open to suggestions.

CopyofP1000595.jpg

• The title was changed to Thoughts On The TDI SL ?

Bob,

The TDL SL is my favorite "dig it all" foothill brush busting MD for the Mother Lode.  Simple to set up and operate; runs over serpentine, in burned over areas and in shallow water. Picked up a few nuggets from 1 gram to 5 grams with the 7.5 dual field coil. When the coil developed a water leak White Electronics replaced the coil ...no problem.  I added a Miner John Designs 5.5x10 TDI folded mono coil and a RNB Innovations HP3100 Li-ion battery. Rubbing up against the threshold nob keeps me on alert for snakes. Haven't found an opening in the brush on this side of the mountains clear enough to swing the larger 12 dual field.

White Electronics may want to offer an upgrade or optional Li-ion battery & charger including a car charger;  a lockable or tighter threshold nob and little longer lower shaft.

HB

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, HardPack said:

White Electronics may want to offer an upgrade or optional Li-ion battery & charger including a car charger;  a lockable or tighter threshold nob and little longer lower shaft.

Thank you for this, will take this to heart and I hope to make it so next year.

My Only problem with the TDI SL is trying to find a used one for sale. Must mean that the people buying them are liking them because they don't seem to be re-selling them.

I think the TDI SL is good detector as is the GMT, but they have certain limitations when hunting areas that have been pounded to death. Current PI detectors that have more depth capabilities while being able to detect grain size nuggets is going to give a individual a better chance at success than what the TDI SL will give you. When coin, jewelry or relic hunting I think you have a winner, make it waterproof you will sell a lot them.

You already hit the weight and price advantages.  Simple to use -- turn on and go (after ground balancing, of course, but that is quick).

1) I'd like to see a small (e.g. 6 inch diameter or equivalent elliptical/butterfly), negative or neutral buoyant coil for underwater crevice/crack searching in shallow creeks.  Maybe the new Detechs fit that bill?

2) How about a battery pack that runs higher potential than the standard issue -- ~16V?  If I understand what others have said/written, there isn't a voltage regulator off the power supply and higher voltage means more sensitivity.  If so, some of the limitation mentioned by Glenn will be alleviated.  If this enhancement is possible it requires no modification to design so no increase in base cost.  Maybe a bit more weight but it could still be the lightest dry land PI, I think.

Is it true that the TDI OZ Pro has or will be discontinued. If so I see just having the TDI SL as going backwards especially here in Australia. Are there plans for a new PI with more grunt from White's? 

The TDI's as a whole may struggle to sell here at all soon. The sole Australian Whites distributor is set to also be the dealer for the QED release in the next week or so. Talk is it will outperform the TDI'S but be available much cheaper? The QED release looks like being fair dinkum this time - the Aussie White's distributor is reportedly showing customers a prototype of it.

http://australianelectronicgoldprospectingforum.com/new-board-109/qed-update-8893/

Personally I like almost everything about the TDI SL. Great price, good feature set, good coil selection, and excellent ergonomics. Unfortunately it just lacks that little bit more punch I would like to see. In moderate to low mineral ground I found that just about any decent prospecting VLF in all metal mode does as well or better. For much of Nevada for instance a VLF is a better choice, especially when something like a GMT can hit small gold invisible to a TDI SL. It is only when you run into serious hot rocks or real bad ground, like the California serpentine ground, that the TDI pulls ahead with its better ground handling capability.

While it is true there is nothing like it for the price new, I think it has been long since proven that serious prospectors are not shy of spending for performance and a just a grand more gets you a GPX 4500. And if money really is the main factor it is very hard to recommend the TDI SL to prospectors when a GPX 4000 can be had used for less money. I personally would get a GMT instead of a TDI SL if I could have only one or the other for prospecting because I think I could find more gold with the GMT. I would hazard a guess that more TDI models are used relic and beach detecting than prospecting.

• Like 3

Well there you have it, the TDI Sl's market share ( equipped with a 5.5x10 DD coil with longer battery life; priced under $1,000 ) is located on a narrow serpentine ledge winding north from Coarse Gold  along what is left of the California Mother Lode on ground too hot for a VLF. I my case, a great holiday bonus package would include a good quality snake bite kit and a sturdy pair of pruning shears. A quallity MD but requires after market modifications for actual field conditions.