Prospecting Detecting Nevada Geology Training?

Steve,

I have already type "Nevada" into the forum search engine and started the read.  I plan to re-read a couple of books over the winter ( Rough- Hewn Land by Meldahl; Geology of the Great Basin by Fiero; Advanced Prospecting & Detecting by Straight ) and anything else I can get into my hands.  Do you and Chris have any interest in putting together a training session for perhaps next spring onsite in Nevada?  I spend a a few weeks between Tonopah and Goldfield exploring the mines; some exploring around Dayton Valley on the Carson River; last fall I made a run up to Star Peak/Unionville, only glancing in the direction Rye Patch, then back down to Lovelock out Seven Troughs to Fernley .  That is the full extend of my knowledge of Nevada other than the batch plant at Bunny Hill.  That is a whole different lay  & geology over there than what I' m used to, "pediment" was something my daddy used to call my smarter sibling.  There may be enough of us on the forum interested to make it worth while. We ain't going to make the two of you rich but may we may find ourselves in good company.  I was thinking something low stress basic:  camp onsite, bring your food, water & equipment, etc.  Lay of the land type stuff:  local geology, gold deposits, what to look for, open & closed prospecting areas, detecting, prospecting.  Not a requirement but I for one would like to actually hear the threshold tone break as someone passes their coil over a deep nugget, I know I'm doing something wrong.  Either way I'm headed our way come spring educated or not.   Think it over and let us know.

HB

• Like 4

Hard Pack, I too would love a hands on training session such as you mentioned here.  Nothing beats first hand information with hands on experience.  In the mean time though, I suggest you also read FISTS FULL OF GOLD by Chris Ralph and DETECTING FOR GOLD by Trinityau/Ray Mills.  Both are excellent books. 

If all goes as expected I'm going to finally do some serious detecting prospecting starting early next year.  This would be a great way to get a better start.  I've also just joined a couple of clubs with claims in Nevada, California, and Arizona. 

Happy Prospecting,

Paul

Roustabout,

Both books are due in Monday,  also ICMJ should be starting up next month.  I' m sure others will be interested! Low key, no pressure, evening campfire mind picking sessions and those wishing to can stay in more comfortable conditions..do. Just need to get Steve and Chris on board. We'll see who responds... See Digger Bob is posting; wonder if Gerry McMullen & Ray Miller have any plans for the spring.  

ran da voo

HD

• Like 1

I can't speak for Chris but I don't see myself doing anything like this in the near future. There are lots of other possibilities, the first being to join a club to get some hands on with knowledgeable members. Dealers like Rob Allison and Gerry McMullen offer training, and both Digger Bob and Ray Mills have done outings in the past. Even going to something like the annual Rye Patch hunt is a good idea when it comes to meeting knowledgeable people running lots of different detectors.

• Like 1

Steve, 

You don't have to lead the charge just show up and share. Or limited the group to people you're comfortable with. The rest of us will stay out beyond the glow of the meeting fire...  There's only two of us so far and  we'll pack out what we pack in.

If we are left out there in all that open space by ourselves no telling what we might make up.  No pressure your call, I'll set something up with Gerry.

Have you been back to Sulphur lately, what is the current status of the area?

HB

In the mid 60's had the opportunity to explore the Tonopah area. Times were a lot less restrictive access wise. We setup base south of Tonopah spending a couple of weeks investigating the lmines in the area. (Word of Caution: Stay Out, Stay Alive !). From what I remember Tonopah was noted for silver and Goldfield for gold. I believe the journal you reference indicates some placers in the Goldfield area (at the time pop 24). On a trip into Goldfield happened onto an older lady who had came to Goldfield as a 16 year old newlywed in the early 1900's. As I recall the main mining activity and mills were located NE of town. She explained recent core drilling to the SW of town had revealed substantial deposits. Back at base camp we explored several what was then called coyote holes across the basin to the NW of camp. The major lode mines were located in and on the range between camp the highway 95. The coyote holes were vertical shafts down approximately 50 to 100 feet with a ladder platform setup. If the miners were chasing ore deposits or if there were enough placers in the sediments to warrant the cost and effort I don 'think know.

Another area that has held my attention over the years is the stretch from Austin (silver ?) out to Eureka. I have a couple more weeks of clean up here then research & attention are shifting towards the east. (Thanks  but I only join clubs if theres a need to relocate a channel or thirsty. Gold is where someone else has not found it.)

Perhaps a member familiar with mining history and deposits can expand. Maybe not.

HB

I  thank you for your kind  thoughts but I  will have to decline.  I  get enough offers by email and other contacts that if I accpted all, I would have very few  times to prospect on my own  behalf.  As a reresult, I have taken to declining nearly all such requests and the few I  accept I charge $400 per day.  This may seem steep, but I do enjoy prospecting for myself. My book is detailed with  more than 225,000 words and hundreds of illustrations. I write a couple of articles each month  for the ICMJ, many of which are educational  in nature. 

So while I do appreciate your request, I would  suugest taking a look at my book and if you have any specific questions, let me know. 

Hey HardPack, if you want some excellent reading and research materials on Nevada geology, search the Nevada Bureau of Mines and Geology which has numerous geology books with maps and plattes on the counties of Nevada. Bulletin 59 is Humboldt County and Bulletin 89 is Pershing County.:biggrin:

Bill