Finally - The QED Arrives?

12 hours ago, G.B. said:

From watching the video it appears that there is no threshold.

I cranked the volume when watching the video, and there is a very faint threshold; the audio quality of the video is poor, and I believe the microphone used to record it didn't have a very wide dynamic range. So it registered louder sounds like the bird and the target responses while muting the quieter sounds like the threshold and some of the conversation, and could have caused the clipping effect as well. 

• 3 weeks later...

Production QED units are reaching users hands. Here a respected Oz forum member was able to observe one being tested against a GPX 5000. The summary:

"Do I like this machine "Yes" For the price it is an excellent machine. Would I buy one. Not yet until I see how it functions in the proper goldfields. But what I saw today I was impressed for such a small compact machine with a great punch."

Full report at http://golddetecting.4umer.net/t24672p120-the-qed-and-me#240736

"For the price" is pretty standard - I used that same terminology when talking about machines like the Infinium or TDI. You are getting good value for what you are spending. Nothing wrong with that at all in my opinion. The machine may represent a very good value in Australia where machines like the Garrett ATX and White's ATX are quite overpriced due to import duties, shipping, markup, etc. Here in the U.S. however the situation reverses somewhat.

The QED may not be a world shaker, but my main takeaway from all this is that it is finally here and it does work. Now that units are getting into end user hands where the QED fits in compared to the various other options will be made clear fairly soon. Supposedly there is already a waiting list of about 50 units.

The machine may be a joy for people who like to customize units - one already in a nice set of photos at http://golddetecting.4umer.net/t24672p150-the-qed-and-me#240816

• Like 1

I made my interest known to Goldsearch within days of it appearing on their website. I have received no notification of one being available as yet, however I did not make payment as I am not one to pay for a unknown detector that is not available as yet, just asked to be notified when one is available. Starting to sound promising but of course no review, video etc is the same as putting a detector onto gold in ones own hands on familiar ground.

The fact they are made in OZ, lightweight & relatively cheap and a home soil competitor for MLs products, I suspect they will sell like hot cakes here, a feeding frenzy for a bit.

Typical of what seems to happen on Aussie forums the two linked threads above have been locked over a misunderstanding. Hopefully it will get cleared up but if the links do not work that's why.

In the meantime, here are some new videos on how to set up the QED:

• Like 1

Doubt it is a misunderstanding Steve, just seems some baggers are changing the detector Co they bag. But amongst all the "static", things are looking good for the QED, might be the lightweight producing PI we seek.

Presumably with the numbers being sold we will also see used units available soon. Some people inevitably have expectations that can't be met or are just wanting to buy and try. It happens with every new detector and I do not think the QED will be any different.

• Like 2

Being a manual GB, single channel MD I agree Steve, for me I`m pretty excited about the QED but then that is so with all new toys I guess., just getting the Treasurer to see it that way is the catch. However if it is a goer one would wonder why the established brands haven`t done so long before.

• 2 weeks later...