Hello all,I'm a longtime lurker first post. I prospect mainly in the Mohave Mountains behind LHC AZ. I'm currently using a F19 and am somewhat successful on the shallow small stuff. I'm going to upgrade from or compliment to my F19 with a PI. My budget is around 1k. I have a chance to pick up a gently used sd2200 for $800. I can't help wonder if I'm better off with that or a TDI sl. Any thoughts or advice is appreciated. Thanks!

• The title was changed to SD 2200 Or TDI ?

I have found my share of gold nuggets with my TDI SL over the past several years, liked the detector so much I bought another. I know there are plenty of better nugget PI's out there these days but not for the price and especially the weight (or lack there of) allowing me to swing all day without fatigue.. I nugget shoot way off the beaten path up steep desert mountains, ridge lines and gullies. The lite weight of the SL and its rugged dependability I'll vouch for....... plus its still in production. Not sure about the SD2200 or future parts and service. I would want to know the answer to that before buying it.

The TDI SL is no depth demon and not the PI to use in the larger desert washes. Shallow feeder gullies, residual placer bleeding off the steep slope in iron oxides  and even  some small nuggets through desert pavement surrounded by iron stone   is where my SL has really shined..  I also use the T2, F19 and GMT often to begin with but when encountering highly mineralized ground or hot rock hell overloading my VLF's switching to the TDI always gets me back into the game.

I think the best way to describe the TDI SL for nugget hunting; A rugged. lite weight, cost effective PI best suited for hunting nuggets in shallow highly mineralized ground. 

• Like 2