Latest Word On New Nokta Impact Three Frequency Detector

Note added Feb 17, 2017 - Official Nokta Impact Release Information

The Nokta Impact is currently in field testing. From Dilek at http://www.dankowskidetectors.com/discussions/read.php?2,114963,117790#msg-117790

"FYI - Only a few are out for testing, not all. We had delays due to the cable supplier. More to be sent out in the coming 2 weeks."

For those that do not know the Nokta Impact has been in the works the last couple years and should be available to buy in early 2017. It is a machine that can run at any one of three different frequencies (selectable frequency) but not all three at once (multi frequency). The three frequencies you can choose from are 5, 14, or 20 kHz.

5 kHz is a solid coin hunting frequency. 14 kHz is typical of many "do-it-all" detectors on the market and a good compromise frequency for all targets. The main reason this machine has been mentioned on this forum is the 20 kHz option, which is a very solid nugget hunting frequency. I would not say this is a prospecting detector per se, but it is an option for somebody who wants to do it all with just one detector.

The machine also features good ergonomics, a hidden cable design, and wireless headphone option. Price unknown at this time but knowing Nokta it will be very affordable. Coils for the machine will be new design so no existing coils will work on the machine.

The following photos are from prototypes spotted on the internet and so changes may be seen in the final product.

IMG_0470.JPG

image.jpeg

nokta-impact-lcd-display-closeup.jpg

nokta-impact-lcd-display.jpg

Looking forward to field reports. As someone who pays relatively little attention to the VLF world I'm curious how this stacks up against the Deus in particular.

My next purchase will be a machine like one of these...Impact, Deus, something along those lines, so thanks for the update Steve. I don't really know what all forums are out there much anymore, especially when it comes to non-gold forums.

Hi Jason,

My new thing personally is selectable frequency VLF. In theory if one can be made that really does the job it would negate my need for two or more VLF detectors. The White's V3i made a good stab at it but is overly complicated and bulky. The X-Terra series requires a coil change to change frequencies but at ten years old now is a bit behind when it comes to performance. The DEUS is the obvious leader in this department right now but I will never be fond of the detector in a coil concept. I want an expensive control box with lots of cheap coil alternatives, not a detector where every coil is a new detector and priced as such. I admit I appear to be in a minority there. Nokta has to be gunning for DEUS like performance with the Impact so it may well prove to be more like what I am seeking. At this point though I personally am fixated on what the high end frequency will be, and Impact at 20 kHz is likely to be trumped by DEUS V4 at around 55 kHz. There is more to small gold performance than just frequency however so time will tell.

I have to keep my DFX because it runs my Bigfoot coil but I would not mind replacing all my other VLF detectors with just one machine.

Does changing the frequency on the same machine shift the VID of a particular target by a set amount?

I am not aware of there being such a thing as a "variable frequency" detector in the past, but see Sheltons post above for an example of just that.

The problem basically is coils. Coils must be tuned for a specific frequency or specific sets of harmonic frequencies. That is why the frequencies in selectable frequency machines are specific multiples. If you have an infinite variable adjustment you will only get optimum performance when the coil is matched to specific frequencies and at the other settings there will be a coil/frequency mismatch resulting in lost performance.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, jasong said:

Does changing the frequency on the same machine shift the VID of a particular target by a set amount?

You are referring to VDI normalization. Different frequencies shift and compress the VDI scale. This can be compensated for through "normalization" which is just a simple math adjustment internally. However, I prefer the option to run in raw VDI mode.

The DFX and V3i allow both raw and normalized VDI numbers. Low frequencies expand the range on the high end allowing the results for coin hunters to be spread out and more distinct while compressing the low end of the scale. Low conductive results bunch together. Raw high frequency numbers do the opposite - coins bunch up on the high end but you get better resolution on low conductive targets. I run my DFX in 15 kHz raw mode to allow better speed on aluminum, lead, and gold targets. The DEUS allows both raw and normalized results.

The problem with raw numbers is you need to change your memory for each frequency because the number change. Normalizing everything to standard numbers makes it easier for novices in particular to get on board.

Tons of good info here, see pages 4-2 and 4-3 in particular. https://www.whiteselectronics.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/V3i-advanced-users-guide.pdf

Steve, I'm with you on this detector. If it can replace my two Racer 2's and my Gold Racer that would be a plus. Maybe throw in the Racer 3? and I could let my Tesoro Tiger Shark move on to another home. Sure would be nice to get rid of a few more detectors and coils. After getting the Racer 2, I sold all my other Tesoros, a White's M6, and the MXT Pro. But then again I went and got a second Racer 2 so maybe they aren't helping me to reduce the number of detector I have. Had the V3i but after using for it 7 years, just for coins and jewelry, I figured the DFX would do everything I was using the V3i for and save me a bunch of money at the same time. Until Makro or someone else comes out with a BigFoot type coil, The DFX/BigFoot combo isn't going anywhere. I'm currently testing one of the Impact coils for Makro.  Probably have a couple of Racer 2's for sale before long.> 

Is there a particular frequency(or range of frequencies) that expands the VDI range around 40-60? Does the Impact allow for non-normalized VDI readings?

I understand gold varies wildy, and VDI changes with each machine, so I'm just wondering in the most general sense. There are places I'd love to get some more seperation between gold and trash that registers within the same range the gold there does.

Low frequencies expand the high end VDI numbers. High frequencies expand the low end numbers. And... you guessed it... mid frequencies expand the mid range. It's a sliding effect.

When you say 40 you may be referring to many machines where 40 is the beginning of the non-ferrous range. The classic range is positive numbers non-ferrous and negative numbers ferrous. The classic range is 1-95 non-ferrous. When you say 40 to me you could be talking a super low end number or a mid-range number. All discussions of normalization usually focus only on the non-ferrous range. I am assuming you are referring to the Fisher and Nokta range which starts as 40 non-ferrous. That being the case, high frequencies expand that range. Excellent article with chart http://www.thebeepgoeson.com/display.asp?page=DFX_VDI_Norm

And also on V3i Link deleted since Findmall Forum update broke all old links

Something for a new thread really. Back to the Impact - we do not know the details on that yet.

Comment on the Deus. It can deliver raw numbers or normalized numbers. The problem is almost everyone acknowledges the Deus VDI accuracy is poor at best so it is not as useful as it could be.