The Z 19 Skid Plate Modification

Norvic

Not wanting to hijack the current "where is it in the Us thread", Phoinex, So far I`ve managed to rip the front transmit coils rubber bumper off on grass and have cracked the original skid plate also catching grass, plastic tape is not the answer. I`m very interested in your skid plate mod. Must do something before I rip original skid plate right off and go bare, which may not be so bad. But from our OZ 4Ms I`m feeling like the lone ranger re having success with the 19, although I suspect there are others, must be.

It is not much less sensitive then the 14 and like you say with the assist arm is fairly easy to use, also the hipstick does a top job handling its weight,( with the bungy going through a ring fixed just under the LCD...thanks Fred) so much so it is my coil of preference on the flats at present. I am very positive it is not a dud, just ZVT is new tech and we "need" to learn how to use it. Be good to see the reports on it on this 4M once it gets about the US.

• Like 2

Norvic hi
Mate on the Aussie forum did you have a look in the 7000 section at my polycarbonate plate?  My original intention was to stick the plate directly onto the coil but when I saw the pottings are exposed on the underside of the coil I decided to put the lexan onto the skid plate.  I have no doubt if you fit a solid plate you will find the coil way easier to use.
And yeh at the moment I am keeping a positive attitude about the coil but so far I haven`t seen a hell of a lot in the way of results
Dave

• Like 2

It is not really the season (over here in WA anyway) to be testing the 19 inch. The heat has set in now so the ground just does not cool down. Salt signals are so bad in parts here (where I know gold is) that it is unusable. I'm not talking about salt lakes but rather creek washes. The 5000 handles it well but the 7000 just wails like a stuck pig. I'm doing up a comparison vid and will post when ready. I've tried contacting Minelab re the salt fix that has been coming forever but have not heard back. Maybe JP knows something about it??

Polycarb skid would be the go. After the initial weight shock I'm pretty much used to it now and it is my stock coil for the next season. I think after running it for a full season you will understand what it can and cannot do. The only time the 14 inch will be back on is when we are pushing. I'm positive though....... 

Cheers

BB

• Like 2

Checked out your skid plate Dave, nice and simple, will go with it, have ordered some 1mm polycarbonate.

BB, whilst it is hot in FNQ we don`t have your salt problems to contend with, thus am really getting to like my time behind the 19. It is proving to be much quieter then the 14 but not much less sensitive, thus feel that quietness is deceptive. Upping the sensitivity only seems to induce false noises from bumping grass and rocks, the skid plate should help solve this. Just silasticed the original skid plate on to stop it cracking more but also to seal it. Accumulates a lot of debris underneath, perhaps this will stop this happening to some extent.

• Like 2

Good on you Norvic

Mate before you put the 2 together lightly sand the skid plate but gouge the hell out of the polycarbonate with the sand paper. If you apply silastic to smooth polycarbonate it will peel off, but once you`ve gouged it the only way it will come off is if you want it off

cheers Dave

• Like 2

I don't have the 19" yet and you guys are 'scaring' me about it a bit.  But ... I've worn out a couple of the 14" skid plates and a couple of the 2300s and I'm not really a scraper so I have begun using a spray on it.  The spray I use is like an undercoating but it is really called a truck bed liner.  I've applied it once all over the coil covers and now I will 'spot add' depending on where it grows thin.  It is tough and applies easily.  It should also keep a cover from chipping or ripping. I am using black but it must come in colors.

Mitchel

• Like 1

MN Nothing to be scared of, the 19 is magic, just that open web design, not a criticism just something to work around.