Marking Nuggets

Rege-PA

After finding a nugget how many of you mark it by a small pile of rocks or a stick poked in the hole?

Why do you do this?

A . To show others I have been there and got them all?

B.  To define a pattern to find more?

C. I don`t know why I do it, but I do.

Just curious.

• Like 1

I found a really nice run of nuggets many years ago. Trying to disguise my holes as best I could I would back-fill the hole and spread grass over it. I gathered all the surface quarts rocks down the gulch and used them to mark only the holes that I found a nugget in. It worked really well to identify the fan of gold as it spread down the gulch. Every so often I would find a nugget outside the defined area and cover that area to see if the run changed directions. It was a lot of fun and I ended up finding a couple hundred nuggets.

• Like 3

This is not a bad idea. I ones put a stick in the hole in the sierras when I had to leave home after I found a last minute nugget. When I returned the following year everything looked so dofferent from what I rembered but I found my stick and was able to continue from where I left off.

• Like 2

Not me- no way. Anytime I find a marked dig hole I just know someone found a big nugget. Besides, I have a memory like a- uh,like a-- you know- like one of them things they catch animals in. Oh now I remember- a steel trap!

• Like 3

I always put a little pile of rocks over filled in hole, helps a lot to work out the nugget run down a slope. Tight where near the source fans out further down, if it doesn`t try to think why, maybe reef only shed one nice speci, which just breaks up in a tighter line down slope, or even better reef is still there, has only relatively recently shed. GPS waypoint for future and knock em all over at end of day or trip.

But the save waypoint gives a very useful databank down the track, unless of cos you have a photographic memory like.....ah... um... ah..... you know.....what`s his name.........

• Like 1