Silly me, I didn't think you could do any worse than getting skunked, but today proved that there is something worse. Somewhere along the way, in a very rough and steep hydraulic pit I lost my detecting pick.  :ohmy:

I didn't just leave it laying, it somehow got brushed out of my pivoting hammer holder on my belt. Too darned wiped out to go back and look today, I'll make a special recon trip tomorrow and find it. I just hate "do it twice" type things.

I feel your pain. I lost my favorite pick in the Brush...no way was I going back into that mess...another time on Jamison Creek, plumas county I left my pick on a rock. After realizing I had left it I continued down stream and found another pick just like it. I figured that was a fair trade and never went back for the first one.

"of all the things I have lost, the thing I miss most is my mind"...no idea who said that but painfully true.

fred

• Like 1

Sorry to hear that Jim. Picks are easy to lose. I had a dozen at Moore Creek I supplied to people and every one of them was lost. People would sometimes find one also but eventually I had to replace them all. Though I always suspected that perhaps a few went home in people's luggage since I was supplying expensive Walco picks on the first go. They got replaced with cheap Walmart picks.

Good luck finding yours.

• Like 3

I can't remember ever leaving tools lay and forgetting them. My normal custom is to carefully look over the area I have been working, whether it is detecting or creviciing and make sure that I have everything.

I am sure I know where this pick is, I remember having to pull the tip of a downed tree out of my way to get by it. In doing so I also remember that when I let it go I had to brush against the branches with my lower body. I am sure that this was when the pick handle caught and the rotating hammer holder it was in turned upside down.

If it were not for the fact that I have both hands full with detector and cane I could have held the tree top until I got by it. I just hate having physical limitations that make things so much harder, but it just comes with age for many of us.

I'll know for sure when I go back to look for it today.

A friend left his e-trac leaning against a rock while loading his dog in the car. He remembered doing it so he made a U turn to go back and get it. Gone by the time he returned.  

Take your time and have a good look about when you go back to get that pick, there is a good reason why you left that pick behind.

I have used the same pick for over 20 years and it's nearly worn out but I think it's determined to outlast me. It seems silly to get attached to a damned tool.

I took me years to learn to not lean it up against the Jeep while I was loading up my detector after a long day. It spent many long cold nights out in the woods by it's self (and one winter).

It's a very historic pick. It's the original one that John Marshall was using when he discovered gold at Sutters sawmill in 1848. It's only had 7 new heads and 13 new handles.

• Like 1