Next Step After Fisher Gold Bug Pro

I have had some sucess finding nuggets with a Fisher Gold Bug Pro but recently went out with  a friend who has a Minelab 5000. He was easily picking up nuggets where the GB gave no indication at all. I realised I needed something better but was not sure what would be appropriate.  The 5000 is rather large and heavy for carrying a long distance and is complicated compared with the GB Is there any recommendation as to a detector that is significantly better than the GB but has its lightweight features and ease of use? I suppose the Minelab 7000 would be even less likely to meet my needs.?I am not very fit and only get out gold detecting a few times a year.

5 hours ago, raugaj said:

I have had some sucess finding nuggets with a Fisher Gold Bug Pro but recently went out with  a friend who has a Minelab 5000. He was easily picking up nuggets where the GB gave no indication at all. I realised I needed something better but was not sure what would be appropriate.  The 5000 is rather large and heavy for carrying a long distance and is complicated compared with the GB Is there any recommendation as to a detector that is significantly better than the GB but has its lightweight features and ease of use? I suppose the Minelab 7000 would be even less likely to meet my needs.?I am not very fit and only get out gold detecting a few times a year.

I think that your last line kind of sums it up; if you're only getting out a few times a year does it make sense for you to spend a lot of money on a PI unit?  Only you can make that decision, and everyone has differing amounts of income to sink into nugget detecting, but It sounds like you're doing well enough with your GB already. All detectors have a learning curve and there is no one turn on and go detector that's probably going to meet your needs. You can have the fanciest arsenal of detectors but if you're not putting the time in to connect with your machine I wouldn't be expecting miraculous results. Nugget shooting isn't easy or everyone would be doing it. Best of luck in your endeavors. 

• Like 1

You could pick up a used Whites TDI or Garrett Infinium. Both are PI units and can be had for around $500-$700

Thanks everybody. Much appreciated advice.I will check out that 2300. The GB is also very good at discriminating between iron and gold which the 5000 couldn't do. Have really good Christmas and a great New Year plus lots of gold.