Do we have any beach miners here?

I'm in Oregon and do a bit of sand sifting. The Oregon laws for the beach include No Power equipment so you have to ground sluice or have a recirculator above the high tide line or above the grass line. Kind of a pain but doable.

Anyway I have a thread going over at TreasureNet that is a little rambling but it will show ya what kind of equipment I use and some of the results.... Nope nothing like the Nome beaches but it gets me off the couch and I manage to eek out a little color.

So here's a link to the thread, hope you find some humor in it as well as maybe a little info. too.

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/sluicing/454120-got-out-little-today.html

If we get a discussion going here I will just post anything new here instead of a link to another forum.

Thank's for looking.

Also does anyone have any info on beach mining in northern cal.? I can't find a thing on it and I have heard of a couple very promising beaches. But I won't spend the time and energy on them and the trip without some knowledge on the regs.

• Like 3

Beach mining is something I thought about constant times over the years, but I never did do it really. Just one trip to a beach once where I panned a couple specs. Alaska has perhaps the most famous gold beach in the world at Nome, but there are very many other beach deposits all around the state. I traveled the state a lot and have been to Nome and Yakataga but never set foot on the beaches.

Marine Gold Placers Along The Gulf Of Alaska Margin

Beach Placers of the Oregon Coast

Gold In Beach Sand (California)

Oregon beach mining as a rule won't make ya wages... But for me it is a means to get out and get some exercise... 

The beaches are so variable on the Oregon coast that one day you may find good sands and the next tide will sweep them out or to a new location. 

Here is a link from the Alaska Gold Forum that has some great info....  

http://bb.bbboy.net/alaskagoldforum-viewthread?forum=2&thread=2058

Great links there Steve. Thanks for posting them.

More later. Hope everyone had a great Christmas.

• Like 2

There is quite a bit of black sand beach mining done here in New Zealand on the West Coast of the South Island. A few months ago when I went to the coast to buy my GPZ I was invited to visit a claim & mining operation. Very intersting. Here are the latest claims & equipment up for sale on our local on line auction site. Trademe. Even a bucket line dredge up for grabs. Wonder if Tony Beets would be interested?? LOL

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/SearchResults.aspx?searchString=+gold+mining+&type=Search&searchType=all&user_region=100&user_district=0&generalSearch_keypresses=7&generalSearch_suggested=0&generalSearch_suggestedCategory=

Best of luck out there for 2017.

JW :smile:

• Like 1

Wow.... we can only dream of being able to beach mine like that.

On  a side note I won't be going to the beach today or tomorrow ..... 

IMG_0114.JPG

Got out a little about 4 weeks ago and made gas money...lol.... That small amount was recovered from about 4, 5 gal buckets full of beach sand.

Other than that not much to report.

Not much to report since the snow. Conditions are still less than favorable and the beach deposits haven't really formed yet.

Last time I went there wasn't even any surface black sands and no layers to speak of even 2 feet down.

Will go take a look again this coming weekend most likely.

IMG_0077.JPG

• Like 5

Now that is some fine gold! I have always been a nugget chaser myself, but there is something very fascinating about the recovery of super fine gold. It is an art in itself, and the plain fact is you can find tiny gold in a lot more locations than you can find gold nuggets. For many people developing skill at fine gold recovery is a far more productive path to finding gold than chasing gold nuggets.

• Like 2

That was all pretty much -150 mesh.

Our beach gold is usually -100 but things were different that day.

As to fine gold recovery it is very equipment specific and technique specific as well.... 

But your right as nice as the nuggets are fine gold is far more abundant... Just got to get into the area and have the technique and equipment to deal with it.

Steve,

If you ever get out my way here in Oregon be sure to let me know and we can go move some sand.... I'm sure it will cure your curiosity.....:biggrin:

• Like 1

Here is a little cleanup sluice I put together to help clean up the sluice cons...... And yes that's gold in those little riffles....:smile:

fullsizeoutput_11b.jpeg

20160703_141226.jpg

20160706_154847.jpg

• Like 3