Beach gold is extremely fine.... virtually all of the beach gold I recover is -100 mesh and much smaller to the point of not being visible to the naked eye.  

Here is a link to cleangold's site with photo micrographs to give you an idea of what this beach gold is like.... Yes there is a special form of masochism required in this endeavor called beach mining.....:biggrin:  http://cleangold.com/cleangold/photomicrographs.html 

I use a Cleangold sluice for my recovery equipment. 

• Like 1

Got to the beach for a couple hours today, was a very nice day.

Water was a little slow compared to other days but managed to move a little sand anyway..

Will do the cleanup probably tomorrow... or may just decide to hold the cons till I have made a few more runs.... Also thinking about doing another run again tomorrow but the weather is supposed to turn ugly again.... 

fullsizeoutput_14c.jpeg

IMG_0304.JPG

• Like 3

The biggest problem this time was just the overload of sand flowing through the sluice form the freshet... I need to be able to lift the sluice just off the ground so it only gets the fresh water... Got to make some legs and wing dams but that is actually going to be an easy fix....... The actual amount I was able to run was about 1 1/2 5gal bucket. Had I carted material to the bigger creek 100 yards away I think I could have easily run about 20 buckets worth... That would have been a possible potential of over 1 gram instead of the 1.46 grain return for a couple hours digging.

Live and learn.......

SkypePhoto_20170226_21_27_46.jpg

• Like 1

I just stumbled across this thread and thoroughly enjoyed it. I am in Western Oregon for much of the year but haven't ever tried prospecting the beaches. I have always wondered about how a guy could scale up and move more material.. since there is basically unlimited sand... there's a lot of gold in that beach if you could just run all of it through that sluice. :biggrin:

Looking forward to your updates.

• Like 1

Thank you for the kind words. 

Oregon beach rules prohibit the use of ANY power equipment on the beach for mining. They also have maximum limits on the amount of material you can move.

If you would like more info or you are in the area sometime let me know and perhaps we can set up a time and you can get a better Idea of what is involved as well as all the rules, which aren't really that many........

• 2 weeks later...

I have a friend coming to visit this weekend and rain or shine he wants to hit the beach.....

So hopefully I will have some new stuff for ya.

Here's a little from my last cleanup.... all 3.8 grains of it.....:blink:

All the magnetics have been pulled and the dark material that is left in it is non magnetic. Not entirely sue what it is but one thought is that it is platinum since we do have it here on our beaches... time will tell and maybe someone with more knowledge will be able to identify it... All I know is it is very heavy and does not want to separate from the gold in a pan.

fullsizeoutput_153.jpeg

SkypePhoto_20170312_18_12_26.jpg

Got out his weekend and spent a couple days moving sand.... a very disapointing return.... even for my low expectations.....

IMG_0392.JPG

IMG_0393.JPG

IMG_0398.JPG

• Like 3

On 3/23/2017 at 9:28 AM, Swegin said:

Good luck John,  I have really enjoyed reading this thread.

Thank you Swegin.

I don't get out as much as I'd like and I just go to a beach that is about 15 minutes from home.... 

There are some beaches that are better producers but it would be better to have a whole weekend to work them and since they are a few hours away it just isn't practical at this time.

Have  been looking for a good little camper van to make that more of a possibility though.