Metal Detector Advice

Hi, im after some advice on metal detectors. I live in the UK and im currently using the Nokta fors core with a 15'' coil for coin and relic hunting but im looking to buy a new detector primarily to search for Roman silver coins and hammered silver coins only. The sites im currently on are rich in history finding coins form Julius Caesar Roman through to Elizabeth II. But im only getting finds up to 12' to 14'' max' with the detector im using at the moment and feel as though im missing quite few finds. Does any one know which is a good detector to purchase, hopefully something good on mineralised ground discriminants iron well and goes verry deep on small silver coins hopefully well over 12'' to 14'' . I know its a tough one but any help or advice is verry much appreciated. thanks paul

• Like 1

Those are some amazing depths you are getting already Paul!  Makes me want to go buy a Fors Core to try out. I have never been able to punch past 10" on a dime or 12" on a quarter with any detector in my soil.  Your doing great!

Bryan

• Like 4

Paul

Sounds as if you got a great machine now so why put out more for another. I had good luck with a TDI on the beach and it had great depth there.

Keep your detector and keep your money in your pocket but don't stop swinging that detector.

Chuck.  

• Like 3

On ‎27‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 6:47 AM, Steve Herschbach said:

Honestly, you are getting depths far in excess of what I would expect in my ground. 12" to 14" on small silver coins is about as good as anyone can hope for with any VLF detector. Just my opinion - I am sure there are others.

Hi Steve sorry for the late reply and thanks for your opinion.I know im getting good depths with detector i have but i was just hoping there was some other machines out there that would get that little bit deeper on silvers. As the detector im using at the moment is fully upgraded and i can't get any better depths with it. its just a bit frustrating knowing theres older and better finds there. Thanks again and HH  

On ‎27‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 5:45 PM, Cabin Fever said:

Those are some amazing depths you are getting already Paul!  Makes me want to go buy a Fors Core to try out. I have never been able to punch past 10" on a dime or 12" on a quarter with any detector in my soil.  Your doing great!

Bryan

Thanks Bryan. you should try one some time you'll not be disappointed unless your wanting to go deeper than 14'' lol. It is a really good machine.

8 hours ago, Ridge Runner said:

Paul

Sounds as if you got a great machine now so why put out more for another. I had good luck with a TDI on the beach and it had great depth there.

Keep your detector and keep your money in your pocket but don't stop swinging that detector.

Chuck.  

Hi Chuck, Im starting to think i should just persevere with the detector i have. But thanks for your thoughts anyway. HH

Yup.... a human condition, "The Grass is Always Greener" syndrome.

Sounds like your machine is operating at peak efficiency, keep it and happy hunting.

• Like 1

Guest Tnsharpshooter

I have used a Nokta Core unit....

Fine unit,, Biggest coil I used www stock coil.

I have recently took possession of an AKA Signum unit with a 11-11.5" coil depending on how you measure.

i can say without a doubt this detector on high conductive coins is deeper than Nokta CoRe unit.

This detector btw,,,you can run different sized coils,,as well as different frequency coils.

Smallest coil,manufacturer makes is 6" coil.

If you can get around anyone using one of these-- might be worthwhile for you.

I did read btw,,,a very experienced detectorists,,,stated 6" 14khz coil while attached to Signum 7272 model,,,,seemed to think it was the deepest 6" coil he had ever run.

Good luck whatever you decide.

• 3 weeks later...

Seriously id go for Minelab gpx .45  00 thats what I carry fully loaded everyday with a nugget finder advantage14" round . You'll clean up! And you can thank me later! Cheers, IG from -15c Idaho USA

• Like 1