Metal Detector Hmi

Tom,

I loved the "GMT" but at this point of 20yrs + am not a fan of the 'big box' anymore!!!

Just change the design and I'd be happy!!!

• Like 2

On controls, buttons.  Machines that got it right:  FTP T2, F75, ML 705, Racer1/2.  All options on the screen with as few sub menus as possible.  Were talking VLF here so KISS.

Tone choices of course, but would probably have to be a sub menu.

Iron ID grunt or null.  Depends on which the engineers could give the best iron see-through capability.  I like the X-terra 705 because it has both options.  A true all metal mode with iron nulling instead of a discrimination grunt would be nice.

Tom

for me is multi tone , null , target ID, illuminated screen, wireless, and modern design.

touch screen is probably the next step as auto ground balance is now leading so knobs are left for the old school tools like the GMT and GB2.

buttons are probably more durable than the touch screen so it's to be experimented with.

How about attaching your phone as the control pad?

Or having the option of downloading / programming your own choice of tones in the tones app.

• Like 1

One button to toggle between all-metal and discriminate.  Got it right = Minelab X-terra 705.  Got it wrong = Fisher Gold Bug where you have to re-adjust threshold of all-metal every time you change from discriminate to all-metal.  What were they thinking?  (Except for that I love my Gold Bug Pro.)

If knobs are installed, they should either be a) out-of-the-way, or b) lockable.  Got it wrong = Whites TDI (which otherwise I really like).  Got it right = ??

Both screen view and (multi-tone, at least for coin and jewelry; less important for native gold) sound have their place in my toolbox.  Since I wear bifocals, it's straining on my neck to have to look down at the screen too often.  But seeing a 2 digit ID is helpful (really like GB Pro full 2-digit 1-99 discrimination scale).

As far as screen readout features, I'd sure like to try out the Whites V3i with all its bells and whistles.  (Again, these features are more valuable to coin and jewelry hunters.)  You hear/read plenty of "don't need that; never use it", but detecting in iron infested sites I'd like all the info I can get.

Weight -- keep it light!!!!!!!!!!!  If I can find a detector that does the job, even if not the absolute best job, I'm likely going with it (and I have).  So far my arsenal has a 3 lb max limit (at least for small coils) and I'd like to keep it that way.  Got it right = many (VLF's) and Whites TDI/SL (PI).

Balance -- does anyone make a detector with adjustable balance for when coils are changed?  Movable control box, movable battery box,.., seems like there are ways to do this (and in fact I have when tinkering with my TDI/SPP).

• Like 1