Power Lines And Detectors Pre The GPZ And SDC

Northeast

Not all powerlines are equal.  I TRIED to hunt under some a few weeks ago with the TDI and couldn't due to the machine motor boating and carrying on something awful.  I reduced gain, turned the freq knob from one extreme to the other, trying to find a quiet spot.  The only thing I found to remedy it was to get out from under and away from the power lines.  I have the regular TDI by the way...not the Pro or SL model.  These lines were the high tension ones with the metal towers for poles.  

• Like 1

Thinking about this some more, I didn't try to noise cancel in general or extra deep which may have helped. 

Will do next time.  

JW.  I am mostly running HY and normal, sometimes flicking into difficult and the Z ran great close to the lines. 

It was was only in general and e/deep that the problem developed. Now if I noise cancelled in these modes would it have made a detrimental difference when I flicked back to HY?  I don't know. Will find out next time I'm there - hopefully in the next few days. 

Myself and the family are heading to NZ in March for 3 weeks. I won't ask for your gold spots JW but I may inbox you about some good tourist and fishing locations near you if that's ok :wink:

Local knowledge is important :biggrin:

I wonder if the power lines in NZ and Oz run on something other than 60cycle like or 220v and 110 volt....and presumably the super high voltage transmission lines????

I can work my gpz  near power lines but certainly not under them here is the USA

fred

• Like 1

Fred - unfortunately your question is too technical for me - I'm a bit lacking in the technical electrical field - nurses aren't required to know such things :biggrin:

I do know that near my house I have the standard, run-of-the-mill power lines.  The ones I am detecting near are as tall as a 4 story building and have cable as thick as your arm.  Your "super-dooper high voltage transmission lines" is probably correct.  But no idea what voltage they actually are.  Our power point in the wall at home is 240 volt if that helps??

And a bit of an update to this thread.  Tried auto noise cancel in the other modes (general and e/deep) as it was picking up too much EMI on my first run there.  After noise cancel they worked a treat.  Just didn't think of it first day there as HY was fine.  

But still found no gold :rolleyes:

• Like 3

• 1 year later...