What Is Your Favorite Gold Jewelry Hunting Machine?

White's DFX with BigFoot coil. Covers sports fields etc. rapidly recovering shallow targets not only due to 18" sweep but its near instant pinpoint capability. DFX SignGraph display nails rings, all the notching I might want for pesky trash, and 15 KHz native VDI mode spreads the gold/aluminum responses apart. In theory I like the V3i better but the reality for me has been the DFX just gets the job done with less fuss. The only reason I own the machine is to run the Big Foot - I sold the other coils.

Runner up Makro Gold Racer, tot lots, micro jewelry, etc. Like owning a White's GMT with full target ID.

applied-creativity-bigfoot-coil-whites-mxt-dfx.jpg

• Like 6

What Steve just said, times two !!! Let a great opportunity to take my Bigfoot equipped DFX out for some fun today. Sunny and 62 degrees today here in Westminster, Colorado . Used up over over half the day working at my shop. Then decided that I really needed to wash my truck before I could go detecting. Truck looks good now, but I ran out of daylight. Not sure when I will have another chance to get out now. Cold front headed my way in a couple of days, daytime temps in the teens !!! Good luck out there folks .... 

• Like 2

V3i because it's got lots of tricks up it's sleeve to deal with trashy parks. Wish it had a modern bigfoot type coil for it. I'd pay a premium to have one v rated. I get by pretty well with a 15x12 sef when I need more coverage.

I'd like to mention the Deus is really good too. It's what I use primarily in the rain when I can't use the V3i, or when scouting new turf quickly.

I'd been eyeballing the Gold Racer while waiting on XP to either...*ahem* or get off the pot.... and then last month bought a Sovereign GT instead! :laugh: WTF...lol. I'm very happy with that purchase so far.

• Like 2

For woodchips I like the Fisher F75.  I used to use the Golden uMax with a Cleansweep coil and the F5 with the 10” elliptical stock coil in the woodchips but now that there has been several seasons with new woodchip renewals, the chip depth is too much for the Golden and F5.   The F75 has the depth and sensitivity, and the DST feature with F1 frequency has made it useable in the EMI that goes with my woodchip areas. 

For tiny targets in turf, like chains, I like the Fisher F5.  It is hard to find a detector that is good at tiny targets in turf.  In order to focus on the tiny targets at grass root level you need to be able to run at low gain settings yet still generate sensitivity to tiny targets.   I’m hoping the V3 can transition to this but right now the F5 has been the best.  I have my eye on the AKA Berkut 5 for this activity as it has a feature set that would be good for this but I’m not seeing the coils I would want.  So far all the available coils are DD and tiny target hunting of this nature works better with concentric coils.  At least I think so right now.

I'm working on the V3 to turn into my primary turf unit for jewelry.  Not there yet but I’m getting close.  Right now I’m working on creating a good 2.5 kHz ring program that will let me pick through the light foils. 

HH
Mike  

• Like 5

Hi devilpookie, 

Yes, I use the stock 10" elliptical concentric coil most of the time. 

HH
Mike

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Mike Hillis said:

I have my eye on the AKA Berkut 5 for this activity as it has a feature set that would be good for this but I’m not seeing the coils I would want.  So far all the available coils are DD and tiny target hunting of this nature works better with concentric coils.  At least I think so right now.

IMG_04571_zpsfnqtbog7.jpg

8" AKA concentric coil, AKA have them all you have to do is ask, they also have a 5" concentric sniper and  are working on a 5" super concentric (what ever that means).

Now for me, without doubt the best detector I have used in trashy parks in the Deus in V2 with high silencer settings. The sounds are so much better than V3 (which is more suited to relic hunting). My friend and I have being doing a festival site for years, he uses a Deus in V2, I have used many different detectors on there and no matter what I have used (Minelabs, Fishers, Whites AKA's etc and even Deus V3) he always does better than I. The only time I match him is when I used the Deus V2.

• Like 1

On 12/30/2016 at 11:14 PM, Joe Fortunato said:

Sunny and 62 degrees today here in Westminster, Colorado ...., but I ran out of daylight. Not sure when I will have another chance to get out now. Cold front headed my way in a couple of days, daytime temps in the teens !!!

Hey, Joe.  I know Westminster (used to live at 72nd & Samuel Dr., but that was long ago in 1980) and I know the feeling of warm weather turning to bitter cold overnight.   Do you belong to the Eureka Treasure Hunters Club (http://www.eurekathc.org/)?

Still wonder why modern detectors don't have bigfoot (style) coils as an option.  They're "no contest" in contests, and sounds like they do great with recently dropped treasures.

• Like 1