Missed Target Vs New Target

How many New targets are we really finding?

To answer this question it is a bit more 'complicated' than just a new coil vs an old coil or a new detector vs an old detector although those are part of the variables.  This question now comes to mind when I am using the GPZ 19 on previously worked patches.

When I go to the beach and grid a box that is 100x100 with my 3030 I will find targets.  If I assume there are 50 targets within that area and I get 20 I might be doing pretty good without knowing for sure the total potential targets and how long I take to hunt it out.  I will not find them all ... I will miss some ... and then I'll move on to another pocket ... sometimes.  The number I miss depends on my grid pattern, the type of target, if I overlap my swing, soil/salt conditions, discrimination level, shape of target and of course, depth.  If I am finding really good targets and I go back over this area I might find 5 more that I missed the first time ... and I still haven't gotten them all.

If a friend of mine comes over that same square with his White's Surfmaster Dual Field PI he might find 15 targets.  Some of these targets would be new (12) and some missed (3).  (Those are just guesses but you get my point.)  The point is that the PI will find New targets because it can go deeper and see invisible targets but it is also possible to find missed targets that my 3030 could still see if I went over it.

When I use the GPZ 19 looking for meteorites I am primarily looking for missed targets because the targets are so shallow.  This includes going to a new area previously undetected because part of the 'miss' is not going to an area because of luck or inadequate research.

Now when I am out on a gold patch with the GPZ 19 I am looking for missed targets and New targets.  An advantage of the GPZ 19 on the missed targets is that it is a much larger coil.  It is also a more advanced, quieter technology.  (Missed targets need to be a bit larger because the GPZ 14 will see smaller targets than the GPZ 19.)  New targets (those not detectable with the GPZ 14) would be those that are deeper and those 'invisible' to the GPZ 14.

My mentors have been going over old patches with new technology for years.  Some of what they find is New and some of what they find is missed even to this day.  So this is an 'old game' with just a new player (me) hoping to be productive while swinging.  I want to find something every trip.

Am I going to find more missed targets than New targets?  It depends on where I search so I need a mix of new ground and hunted out patches.  There is still deep gold!

Slow, deliberate and methodical gridding will have to win the New targets (if the patch has depth) and the missed targets will follow.  This will mean many skunk days.  The old patches aren't being replenished unless it is a wash. 

Mitchel (added after Chuck's response))

• Like 6

Mn90403

Detecting for gold or coins and why we miss some is like your name in that it's a unknown factor. That day the ground may have been dry,wet are I just may have miss it because another signal may over rode the target I really wanted. I've been coin hunting for over 45 years and don't ever tell me a place has been hunted out.

The only thing you can do is grid it off and hunt with different size coils plus hunt both ways. If the ground then is dry that coin could have drop deeper on edge down that crack you see. Oh you've gone over it two times but you still miss it. The next time you hunt that spot the signal blows the wax out of your ears because the ground is wet are the ground has crack more. Why is the coin is detectable if the ground is crack more because it's laying flat now..

Chuck

PS look at the bright side in that you can go back and find what you miss 

• Like 1

I guess it comes down to the individual whether you believe your missing targets. Personally I believe I am always missing targets more especially as the day gets on(more baked brain). Ties in with Steves thread re ground coverage, depends on ones approach on the day. New targets in old ground that is where the 19 comes into play, gets deeper targets and those others that it reaches because it handles the ground better as you`ve pointed.

Are any targets missed targets? only before, not when you hit them.:wink: Don`t know of a formula that will get you gold every day, but a belief you will, always helps. The rest is up to the GoG, and she`s a fickle b....h.

• Like 4

If you are using PI you go deeper, but iron masking is bigger issue if you compare to VLF or FBS...