Late Afternoon Comparision Of GPZ And GPX

Hi Brian,

I have used both the 12x15 commander and the 17x13 evo and a 9mm slug is the equivalent of a 7.5 gram nugget. Im surprised to hear  there is that much difference in depth between the two coils . maybe a good test would be to swap the coils out using the same detector to eliminate any nuances between different detectors. 

I'm looking forward to getting a Gpz someday. but my 5000 has been very loyal to me and she wouldn't like me cheating with another detector.

greg

• Like 4

Interesting...I agree, I'd be curious to see some further testing too if you guys get around to doing it again. I've taken apart a lot of broken coils including that 15x12 and there doesn't appear to be anything special in those Commanders to me that aren't in a other coils, just insulated wire, foam, and carbon paper pretty much. They all seem to test fairly close as far as resistance and inductance goes too, never measured the capacitance from the windings though. Sensitive Extra does do better on some targets in some ground than Sharp does, but doesn't seem like it'd account for that much depth? No idea, just spitballing...

Edit - thinking again, were you guys on 4500's or 5000's? I remember the 4500's had a factory recall on the main board and there was issue with decreased sensitivity or something along those lines (my memory fails). Now I'm really stretching here - but is it possible if both GPX's are 4500's that one was bought used as a backup or something and still has one of the defective boards? Ok, now I'm really out of ideas. :biggrin:

2 hours ago, DolanDave said:

Jason, I have been finding some large meteorites with the GPZ that the GPX would not even hear, and they are only a few inches down, not to deep.

I should correct my statement from "often possible" to "possible" - my samples were pretty limited and they all came from Gold Basin. I was just testing ones I had already found with my 4500 that were in my camper from 2 years back.

Interesting though, that the GPX wouldn't even hear the ones you found with the Z. That certainly opens up some potential new meteorite hunting! 

• Like 1

They were both 5000's, with one being about 4 years old and the other, with the commander is about 6 months old.

Greg, that would be a good test, but as you know, when we are in the gold field, its all about covering ground and finding gold.  Testing is always on the back burner.  I know you have a special bond with your 5K, wink wink!

Brian.

• Like 1

Brian,

A quote from JP in another topic regarding the GPZ seems to be applicable here:

"Difficult and Normal: Difficult removes ground signal but also the null points of the modes (High Yield, General and Xtra Deep) are different to each other across the Ground Type modes (Difficult compared to Normal). For instance a 1/2 ounce solid nugget will give a better response in General Difficult than in General Normal, this is not due to ground signal but more to do with the modes sensitivity points. Some nuggets will fall into a modes least sensitive position that's why it pays to go over ground with a variety of modes."

• Like 1

Thanks Lunk,

When I go back to this area, I will definitely spend some time with the different modes to see which ones give off the best signal.  I always thought HY/Normal gave me the best odds of finding a metallic object in the ground, regardless of its size.  I look forward to learning this machine, going to be a long road :)

Brian.

• Like 2