Suggested Reading For The Jewelry Hunter

I’ve been getting my mind ready for 2017 by re-reading my jewelry hunting textbooks:  ‘DFX Gold Methods, Site Reading for Gold and Silver, and the newest one - The Gold Jewelry Hunter’s Handbook.    All three of these are written by Clive James Clynick and I personally consider them to be required reading for the dedicated jewelry hunter.   So much so that I try to read each of them at least a couple times a year, every year.   They contain information for both land and beach hunting but of course I focus on the land hunting part.   Of course some of the information is redundant among the three books but there are little gems here and there that make them each worth owning.

Slide2.JPGSlide1.JPGSlide2.JPG

The information contained in anyone of these three books will guarantee gold in your pouch.  I combined the information on page 8 with information on page 18 of the DFX Gold Methods and found this 10K gold ring the first minute on location.  When I get into a slump simply re-reading anyone one of them motivate me and put gold back in my pouch.

DSCF0014.jpg

I also periodically re-read Bob Brockett’s, “Taking a Closer Look At Metal Detector Discrimination to help remind me what I’m doing with my discrimination and notch settings.   He goes into great detail with pictures and descriptions about what type of objects fall inside discrimination ranges.  A great help for making intelligent discrimination decisions.

Slide1.JPG

There is one more that I read at least once a year or so, Larry Sallee’s, “The Complete Unabridged Zip Zip”.  Most likely not everyone has ground minerals like mine and can probably get along without this one in their library, but my ground signal can mask a small gold response if I set my sensitivity settings too high.   Larry reminds me to tune my detectors to get the best audio response possible on my desired target and on how important coil control is on maintaining that best audio response.    On some sites I will put a BB on the ground to tune my detector after l discovered that too high a gain setting on my detectors will actually cause the BB signal to break up or disappear.    You would be surprised at how much is masked by the ground signal when your sensitivity is set too high in high mineral ground.

Slide3.JPG

HH
Mike

• Like 6

Thanks. Last time I saw that Zip Zip book the seller wanted 200 bucks. Seen it on Ebay a couple years ago and I think they wanted $250. Can't imagine paying that much for a book....but then again can't imagine paying 500 bucks for a coil either....but I did...twice.

Hi Devilpookie,

Yeah, I have seen the prices.  Crazy.  Personally I would not pay $200 for the Zip Zip.  But it is a good book and if you ever run across one at a more affordable price it would be worth it.

What I really like about these books is that the information really makes a difference.  I'm not an expert, I'm just learning from the experts and my own experience has been that if I digest and follow the information and guide lines contained in them I have better finds more consistently. 

HH
Mike

3 hours ago, Mike Hillis said:

I also periodically re-read Bob Brockett’s, “Taking a Closer Look At Metal Detector Discrimination to help remind me what I’m doing with my discrimination and notch settings.   He goes into great detail with pictures and descriptions about what type of objects fall inside discrimination ranges.

It's surprising to me how appropriate this book still is, and just imagine the reaction of a young person who thinks everything worth reading is on the internet (or Facebook or Twitter -- gag) and been written in the last few weeks.  I can't find a date on mine but it highlights the Whites 5900 DI and 6000 DI detectors, so I'm thinking > 20 years old.

Thanks for this post, Mike.  I like learning by reading, and when it's cold and dark outside (like now) it's the best option I have.  Those other books were just added to my wishlist.

I used to have cases of the Zip Zip books on the shelf. I wish now I had bought a few cases myself and stashed in my basement!

All great books Mike, have read them or have them myself. Highly recommended. The only thing people need to look out for is that Clive has a lot of titles but many of them repeat most of the same information in different ways.

• Like 1

The only thing people need to look out for is that Clive has a lot of titles but many of them repeat most of the same information in different ways.

That is true.  My favorite of the lot is the DFX Gold Methods, mostly because that was the first one I bought but I like all three, they help me mix things together like I did for the ring in the picture.  That was from a location I chose off my aerial map and I was literally on site for less than a minute when I popped that up exactly where Clive told me to look. 

I had thought Clive would write something on the V3 but he leapfrogged to the Deus. 

HH
Mike

When 'Fists Full of Gold' goes out of print, that one will top $1000 dollars a copy.    I have some decent prospecting books in my library but that book is the best I've read.

HH
Mike

• Like 1

What does the table of contents look like in these books? What aspects are discussed? How are they redundant? How do they differ?

I understand some things will never change in this hobby, but have they been revised any time recently?

Sorry for all the curious questions. I've not read them.

Thanks for any information you can provide.

I was not talking these three books specifically by Clive Clynick, but the 16 he has listed on his website at http://www.clivesgoldpage.com/ You can click on titles there to find content information. They are all great books, you can't go wrong with any of them. Anyway, just go there and check them out to see what I mean. Many of the books talk about shoreline detecting with different models. The model information will be specific to the book but many of the actual hunting methods and techniques are the same regardless of the detector you have, so that stuff tends to repeat.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

The only thing people need to look out for is that Clive has a lot of titles but many of them repeat most of the same information in different ways.

I agree with that.  I will also add that Gary Drayton is another author that has good books on hunting jewelry but the same thing applies to his books; once you've read one, you just about have read the others too.  He repeats a lot of the same things.  He also thinks a little too much of himself IMO but that's just my opinion. lol  

• Like 1