Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
kiwijw

Late Afternoon Early Evening Detect

13 posts in this topic

Awesome JW, you're crushing it! Not even a broken pick can slow you down now; you've become one with the Zed. WTG!

1 person likes this

Can't imagine how many more you may have found if you hadn't broke your pick! Who was it that said " The harder you work, the luckier you get"

1 person likes this

Hi there Tom Slick & Lunk.  Thanks guys for the comments. Lunk...you should see the blisters I have on my fingers this morning & the skin off some knuckles. :huh: I knew I would pay the price. Cheers

JW :)

2 people like this

Nice work, I'm hoping to get out today or tomorrow been raining here for a while, ground will be noisy but I need a detectin fix ?Has been to long!

regards 

Squizz 

1 person likes this

Hi JW ( baby bro )  hehe yep i am stalking you. 

great story! 

I can not wait to hear of a clunker of a nugget that you should find with that zed.

1 person likes this

Great Job !!!! Thats the way to do it ... congrats...

Dave

1 person likes this

Love the pics and it looks like you are really cleaning up! I bet you will be finding a few more nuggets in that area before you are done. I'm jealous, well below freezing here and looking forward to those summer days again...

1 person likes this

6 hours ago, Jen58 said:

Hi JW ( baby bro )  hehe yep i am stalking you. 

great story! 

I can not wait to hear of a clunker of a nugget that you should find with that zed.

Hi there Jen, Thank you & great to see you on here. This is a great site (just like another site I know.:smile:) Seeing this is your first post I will also be the first to give you your first "LIKE." & to welcome you aboard. Cheers Jen (big sis)

Thanks too ID desertman. I am sure that area hasnt seen the last of me yet. May even be today.....Stay warm....Cheers

Thanks DolanDave....

Squizz...Cheers mate. Looks & sounds like there is a lot of rain around. Both in Aussie & the States. That has its good & bad points. Bad...that you cant getarrow-10x10.png out, especially for a detect. But if it brings some pretty big floods then it should stir the gold up & deposit, re-deposit & replenish areas.

Good luck out there

JW :smile:

1 person likes this

Well done JW, some fantastic bits of gold there. Have you ever tried panning the dirt you are digging out of the schist crevices to see if there's small gold in there with the nuggets?

1 person likes this

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Similar Content

• By fredmason

I forgot how long it takes to get to the campsite in the Dale.  The wind was howling much of the time.
      Anyway, I found a five gram bit of the San Bernadino Wash meteorite...I had sold all the first pieces I found , so this is just big enough for me to cherish...
      I also found a 1.2 grain nugglet...in an area that had not yielded any before...it is all good.

We had a good time for a very short trip...

fred

• By Bada Bing
      So you have the best detector with the arguably deepest punching coil there is. I've been throwing it around since it came out. In the beginning I had it on for as long as possible but it was late in the season over here and the summer heat halted the crusade.
      I had not had a single signal .. nada, niete, halemaal niets (well one then - a f&*@ing tree root... on my first day out - see my initial run with gpz 19 thread).
      The season started a few months ago and I've become a bit more strategic with it. I was only chucking it on when I knew or thought we were in deep ground.
      So I'm out with the boys and on a spot that has had a lot of gold come off it (a lot means a lot). The ‘girls’ decided they would sleep in as we detected until 1am the night before. "You snooze you lose" comes to mind so I'm up at 6am and into it with the 19".
      The area had a fair few hot rocks (even with the 19") and then I came across a confusing signal. Definitely not a screamer but got me mildly excited. Scraped away with the boot and the signal was gone. Bugger another bloody hot rock. The sound just made me hesitate and I thought just check it out. There was a small hot rock and I still thought there was something going on - it just felt wrong. I grabbed a few more rocks and found one with a signal. It was covered in shit and I was expecting to see the classic black of an ironstone hot rock. Rubbed it and it was a dark brown and I thought, "I'm in here". Cleaned it up on the spot as best I could and was scanning like a madman to see any speck of colour. After about 30 seconds of scanning there it was - the tiniest speck on the outside. Relief .......
      I hammered the area for another half hour then went back to camp. Strategically making just enough noise to get the girls stirring, they arose. "Get any? The call comes from sleeping quarters. "Well yes I did", and threw it to him. The grim look on his face said it all - "he's beaten us". The specie's from this spot had generally been running at 1/3 of the weight of the specie. This one was 68g so the prediction was a 20g specie. The plot thickens...........
      At the end of the day the boys were a bit demoralised as they had nothing to show, and of course I reminded them of this fact. Out of interest I threw the specie down for my mate to check with his 4500. Barely a murmur, you would walk over it with the 4500. Initially, the look was one of OMG, I can't hear this specie and I could have walked over 30 of these today and would never have known ...... Then it turned too - "mate there's a gram in there at most". They kicked back laughing and joking for the rest of the night happy in the knowledge my potential win was actually a huge loss.
      I got home and went through the specie procedure to estimate the weight (great calculator at http://www.gold-prospecting-wa.com/gold-in-quartz.html). Whoops, it's 20.9g of gold .........
      I gave it a whack. There is gold all through it ...... I just about cried laughing and fired off a few pics for the lads to digest.
      The worlds biggest and best detector with the largest coil with massive depth gets a bloody floating specie ..... the irony is, well, ironic.
      Cheers
      BB

• By DolanDave
      Got out Saturday for a day hunt at Gold Basin, Arizona. Ended up with 3 Gold Nuggets, and a few meteorites, wish the weather stayed like this all the time  .....
      Dave.

• By phoenix
      I realize these are nowhere near as impressive of some of the great finds that are shown here, but I got these three in a 4½ detect today with the 7000  ◕‿◕.   Dave

• By kiwijw
      Hi guys, It has been a while since I took the Zed for a walk as I have been a bit preoccupied with other matters. In the last couple of weeks we have been touched with the finger tips of winter tapping on the door. A couple of dustings of snow up on the hills & frosts now becoming the norm in the early hours of the mornings.
      This pic taken from work last week.

A few weekends earlier a local photographer captured an amazing photo of the Aurora Australis (The Southern Lights)  Taken from the road going up Coronet Peak. His picture was printed on the front page of our local newspaper which I have scanned to show you guys. It was taken at 9.30pm. What appears to be cloud on the left hand side is actually the core of the milky Way. The mountain range in the back ground left of centre is the same range as the pic above with snow on it.

Any way.....Saturday dawned cold & frosty & I had packed the night before for an early start as I had a 2.5 hour drive ahead of me. I also had to be mindful that it was opening day for the duck shooting season & with such clear skies it wasnt looking too good for the duck shooters. My thoughts were that they might turn to blowing away a few bunnies instead so i was going to have to be careful up in the hills.
      I wanted to go back to a spot where I had recently got 8 grams in 9 pieces & due to a bit of grass growth reckoned there was more to be got with the grass dying off a bit & now being able to get the coil closer to the ground. I got there & rigged up. The grass had died off quite a bit  but I was lucking out on any gold. The odd bit off rubbish.....but goldless. After a few hours I stopped for a coffee break & then carried on up a small gully.  There was still a bit of dense grass growth in this gully but I quietly pushed the Zeds 14" coil through the grass, flattening it down carefully so as to get no falsing. Easier said than done but I thought I heard a signal up against a sarson stone. I was in highyield/normal sensitivity on 8. I ended up turning & rolling the sarson stone out of the way. I dug down a bit to clear the grass & get the coil down on to the ground. The signal improved but was a horrible sounding signal. Had wire or nail written all over it. But I carried on digging down on it. Down about 6" the signal cleaned up. Down 8" & in to quartzy schist gravels. I then got in to a softer white type schist clay. That seemed a bit strange for up here where the bed rock is schist or a rotten schist which the gold is usually trapped in. I was having trouble pin pointing the target so I reverted to using the Gold Bug 2 with it little 6x3 sniper coil to pin point, lock on to the target & then flick in to discriminate. Signal still sounded good...well not ferrous any way. Could still be lead or a .22 shell.
      The signal was out.

Ye Ha 1.38 grams

As I do I stuck the coil back down the hole before back filling. What was that. Another faint signal. Again I used the Bug 2 to get a better location of where the target was. it was hard up to the left in the bottom of the hole. So I had to widen the hole. Signal was out & was a 1.02 gram piece. Again I stuck the zeds coil in the hole & another signal. I just layed in to the dig & scraped out a heap more dirt. Signal gone. Backed up on the pile & pinged it.

So...three bits from the one hole.

Stuck the coil down the hole again....but that was it. Stuck the GB2 coil in & nothing. Waved the Zed over the dig out pile & another hit. Making 4 bits for a total of 3.2 grams.

That was it & that was also it for the rest of the day. I went on in to the dark with head lamp but that was it. I was destined to get no more.
      Beautiful sunset. Still had the 2.5 hour drive home.

Cheers.
      Good luck out there
      JW

• By bloodgold2
      Hi everybody, finally got around to giving a few iron coated bits an acid bath, They look alot better than the ugly bits that went in initially. Cheers Dave.