Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
kiwijw

Late Afternoon Early Evening Detect

13 posts in this topic

Awesome JW, you're crushing it! Not even a broken pick can slow you down now; you've become one with the Zed. WTG!

1 person likes this

Can't imagine how many more you may have found if you hadn't broke your pick! Who was it that said " The harder you work, the luckier you get"

1 person likes this

Hi there Tom Slick & Lunk.  Thanks guys for the comments. Lunk...you should see the blisters I have on my fingers this morning & the skin off some knuckles. :huh: I knew I would pay the price. Cheers

JW :)

2 people like this

Nice work, I'm hoping to get out today or tomorrow been raining here for a while, ground will be noisy but I need a detectin fix ?Has been to long!

regards 

Squizz 

1 person likes this

Hi JW ( baby bro )  hehe yep i am stalking you. 

great story! 

I can not wait to hear of a clunker of a nugget that you should find with that zed.

1 person likes this

Great Job !!!! Thats the way to do it ... congrats...

Dave

1 person likes this

Love the pics and it looks like you are really cleaning up! I bet you will be finding a few more nuggets in that area before you are done. I'm jealous, well below freezing here and looking forward to those summer days again...

1 person likes this

6 hours ago, Jen58 said:

Hi JW ( baby bro )  hehe yep i am stalking you. 

great story! 

I can not wait to hear of a clunker of a nugget that you should find with that zed.

Hi there Jen, Thank you & great to see you on here. This is a great site (just like another site I know.:smile:) Seeing this is your first post I will also be the first to give you your first "LIKE." & to welcome you aboard. Cheers Jen (big sis)

Thanks too ID desertman. I am sure that area hasnt seen the last of me yet. May even be today.....Stay warm....Cheers

Thanks DolanDave....

Squizz...Cheers mate. Looks & sounds like there is a lot of rain around. Both in Aussie & the States. That has its good & bad points. Bad...that you cant getarrow-10x10.png out, especially for a detect. But if it brings some pretty big floods then it should stir the gold up & deposit, re-deposit & replenish areas.

Good luck out there

JW :smile:

1 person likes this

Well done JW, some fantastic bits of gold there. Have you ever tried panning the dirt you are digging out of the schist crevices to see if there's small gold in there with the nuggets?

1 person likes this

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Similar Content

• By phoenix
      A couple of days ago went to a new area, no diggings around, and no finesse to my detecting, I`m not working low and slow trying to hear faint changes in the threshold, I`m hooking in and covering as much ground as I can.   Two days ago I hit a point oner that I thought for sure was a birdshot and yesterday I got this one.    So for about nine hours detecting I got 2,  the gold is hardly leaping out of the ground all over the place, but it`s a big area and I`m still young (i wish).   2.69 grams.  Dave 

• By strick
      Working for a living is getting in the way of fun. I'm in a gold ring slump. Last one was the day before Christmas. We managed to get to the desert finally after nearly two years of trying. Most  stuff is from locally. A friend  has three ranches he lets me hunt on. The gold is hard to find....I'm just happy just to get away for the day and try and find anything to be honest. The parks are good to me sometimes. Looking forward to beaches and tops of the Sierras this Summer.. And hooking up with some of you!
      Happy hunting fellas..
      strick 

• By kiwijw
      Hi guys. After that awesome day biking up the river & checking out a few sights we headed back to the little local town. There was a bit of a shin dig happening that night in the local pub. A local hunting club was having a prize giving for best head (deer).
      The guy in the middle was the splitting image of Todd Hoffman.

There was also a competition for best duck calling & stag roaring. That was an absolute laugh & the same bloke won both the stag roaring & the duck calling.
      A few racks of antlers hanging form the pubs roof trusses. This was only a few of them. There were heaps.

Was a great night. The band were excellent.
      We headed home the next day & I went for an afternoon detect with the Zed to a spot I hadnt been to for a couple of years. I was no longer getting any finds with the 4500 & I hadnt got around to trying the Zed here. So this was the Zeds first time here. I went to a spot that I thought had the greatest chance of the Zed getting something. I was wrong. The next spot I went to I thought I was least likely to get something. I was wrong again.
      Up on a high terrace directly above the road, I got the fainest of faint signals. Well I thought it was a signal. Was pretty iffy, but I scraped away a bit of dirt...well more like rotten schist. I was then in to more solid schist & the signal had now improved & as I smashed in to the schist rock I was opening up & getting in to  a crevice. The deeper I got the more confident I was that it was going to be gold. I had to be careful not to let any rocks tumble down on to the road below.

Finally the signal was out from deep in to the schist.

Out popped this sassy little bit. YE HA...

I wandered down a bit further along this terrace & over a bit of exposed schist bed rock. I thought I heard another very faint signal. Backed up on to it & tried a different angle. Nothing. Tried the first approach again & yes I was sure that was a faint signal coming from that crevice. Raked the crevice out with the pick & bingo. You may just make out the tiny piece of gold on the coil label.

If not....then here you go. How small is that for the Zed? No wonder it was a very faint signal one way & nothing the other way. High Yield/Normal sensitivity 5

That was it & all I could get from this most unlikely of spots. Gold is where you find it. Not a truer word spoken. I then went off to another unlikely spot. It looked like somebody else had been here as they had scraped down a bit of material. The material looked promising but I knew I had been here back in my GP 3000 days with the little 10x5 coiltek mono joey coil & pinged a few small bits. Maybe some one had scraped down more material & got a few more. I had also had the 4500 over here with the nugget finder 14x9 advantage coil & sadie coil & got nothing. Bring on the mighty Zed. Straight away I got a little faint hit. I groveled around in the dirt with the scoop until I had the target in it. 

Whittled the signal down to a kinda surprise.

The Zed never fails to impress me on the small gold it can ping. I would be even more impressed though if the gold were bigger....

So I was happy with the three little bits for a fun afternoon & I can see I will have to go back as there are more spots here to go over.... & with the Zed....well you never know your luck.

A few weekends ago we had our first dusting of snow.

Last weekend I went back over the coast to see my mate again. I took the jetboat as we had a plan to go up the river to do some prospecting.

But the jetboat had other ideas & gave us a bit of grief. It started ok, idled fine & accelerated a little but wouldnt get up & dance, & boy....does it usually get up & dance. But not today. So that wasnt going to happen. Took it to the local garage 50 k's away & they couldnt look at it until the next day. So that day was stuffed. Next day didnt get any better as the garage couldnt sort it. Said the motor was ok & it looked like it was something to do with the computer & an electronic problem. They didnt have the gear to diagnose that. So end of the jetboat idea. My mate has been doing a bit of painting for the garage owner between his possum trapping & deer hunting & that was my link to tracking my mate down. Some one from an area I some times detect at had said they thought they had seen him painting this garage.....& so it turned out. So with the boat out of action the garage owner said to my mate, "What say we fly to Wanaka & pick up some roof paint?" The garage owner has his own little plane & so off we went.
      It was a mint day to be flying over the Alps

When we crossed the Alps & got on the Lake Wanaka & Hawea side the lakes had a low cloud over them

We got to Wanaka, got the paint & on getting back to the airport had a coffee at the airport cafe before flying back. We got inside & my mate was dumb struck. He used to have his own motorbike shop & he specialized in custom bikes & restorations. Up above the entrance way on display was his old Harley Davidson that he had lovingly restored years ago. He recognized it straight away & approached the lady behind the counter asking her about it. She pointed outside to a chap talking to some one & said to my mate. "He is the owner of the bike. Have a talk to him. Well that talk went on for half an hour.

My mate was just blown away
      Approaching back to the West Coast & in to the setting sun

Well that was last weekend so a bit of a catch up on what I have been up to. Went for a detect this weekend with a bit of success but will keep that for during the week. But here is a peak at a bit of scenery not too far away.

Cheers guys.
      Good luck out there
      JW

• By LuckyLundy
      All Winter/Spring in Rye Patch this year was a tough deal fighting the ground noise.  We knew we had to wait till Summer for the ground to dry out for some spots that hold the deep gold.  Robin & I, were on and extended road trip that started for a few days in Laughlin, NV and a hunt out in the gold basin area.  Then a short drive to Las Vegas for a couple days and then ending up in Reno stopping here and there for a hunt on placers along the way.  During this time, a couple Buddies where sending me pictures of their Rye Patch poke.  Braving the heat and with night hunts fighting off the Rattlers with some impressive pokes!  While in Reno, they told me to checkout weather for the upcoming weekend!  What Spring time conditions in June! 😳 We made our hunt plans.  I got home and unpacked Robin's Jeep and tossed my Detecting gear in my truck and the next morning bright and early hit the road with some heavy rains on the California side of the hill on I-80.  Rains, gave way to partly cloudy in Nevada...new speed limit East of Fernly, NV is 80 mph, what!  My hunting partners Rudy & Steve caught me in Lovelock filling my truck up and off we went...arriving at Rudy's last spot of deep nuggets at 11:00 am.  Rudy, deployed out of Steve's pickup like a seasoned Veteran and was on his little patch as Steve and I, was still gearing up!  He had two nuggets before we hardly had our detectors tuned, each around a foot deep.  I knew the area and gave Rudy a wide berth respecting his 23" biceps 💪 as he swings and extra large pick with rocks flying in all directions on each swing of his pick.  I soon, popped two deep nuggets and Steve yanked out a fabulous 2 dwt Chevron.  We had to run back to the trucks as a heavy downpour of rain gave us a break for a late lunch.  Soon after, hit it again, or should I say Rudy with a couple more nuggets before we headed back to camp.  Next morning, was more of the Rudy show!  He called me over to his chewed up 20 ft long deep nugget Patch for a listen of a target!  I stuck my coil into a 6" scrap and heard the classic nugget tone...we both smiled at each other as I gave a head nod of approval 😀.  We now began a 30 minute dig through the shale.  Rudy's pick at 15" had to give way for my special bedrock pick in the back of my truck.  At 20" this target was screaming bloody murder on the GPZ, but so does a 2 dwt'er!  Many breaks later and another 4" deeper we knew we were close.  Rudy's pen pointer was pointing at the crevice in the bottom of the hole.  Steve, finally works his way over to see what we are doing on our bellys with our heads in a big hole!  I give way, as I heard his bench made pocket knife open up and Rudy moved his giant finger away from the pointed spot.  A couple scraps and out pops the fruit to the effort of the dig!  Over 8 dwts nugget, is sweet in any gold field new or old diggings.  Steve and I, bowed to Rudy as the King of the short hunt weekend as he added a couple more before he finally let us pick up the scraps in his mini patch.  He was laughing at our misfortune sipping a cold one in a lawn chair for a couple dinks! But, it's the hunt, the thrill.  What a great hobby to keep your blood pumping...over 18 dwts on them coils.  The trip home with a cold I picked up from Robin, hit me hard and so did the surprise snow storm on top of Donner Pass.  Home safe and nursing my cold and wishing I was on the hunt, before the heat comes back to the high desert!  Until the next hunt
      LuckyLundy

• By Aussieau
      Just thought you guys would like to see some of the bigger nugs found in the last couple of months detecting in Western Australia.....lots of little ones but the bigger ones are still out there just fewer and further between

• By mn90403
      Fred Mason has a story in the new ICMJ.  Check it out at your local news stands or get a subscription from Chris Ralph.
      Let me just tell you that Fred has a picture of a nugget that covers a half-dollar coin.
      You can see some of the pictures here:
      https://www.icmj.com/ 
      Mitchel