Very weak so far here in Calaveras county. But yeah, super saturated ground. I have a creek running through my backyard. It flooded in 2005...and my cj5 was parked near it. Went to move it to higher ground, buried it to the axles,lol

• Like 4

Sacramento rain has been very minimal. Much less than the news reported and less than earlier this week, but hey when do the news channels ever get anything correct?

Maybe tonight and tomorrow will be heavier? I sure hope it's heavier after all the hoopla about this being almost as big as 1997. We cancelled our prospecting trip tomorrow because of the storm. We need a storm like 1997 to move some gold around in the rivers and streams.

Mariposa very light but continuous rain....Yosemite shut down and all employees evacuated just in case we get a down pour tonight and tomorrow. Shelters prepared to take in   people who have no place  to sleep do to flooding primarily for Yosemite park employees who live in employee housing...tent camps, cabins and apartments. Hope all is safe, and lots of exposed bedrock next season.... :)

• Like 1

Saturday has been just a setup day - the big rain is supposed to happen Sunday. The big rain is just hitting now into the Sierra as I write (around 10 pm) - supposedly will spill over into Reno shortly. Temps are warm and the snow is starting to melt.

It will be interesting to see what you CA guys are observing tomorrow morning and throughout the day.

• Like 1

Rain was light but steady for the last two days and nights. Temps have been good enough to melt snow, even overnight. We had a 24 hour power outage Wednesday through Thursday. Then Friday night the temps dropped off to six degrees, water lines froze up. I hate working on water lines when it's that cold, I thought I left all that behind when I left Alaska.

Our forecast for the week is rain and higher temps. The Klamath is rising, but nothing dramatic so far. That could all change with week long rain and melting snow up high.

Here is a picture from Saturday of the middle fork of the Feather River , right above Portola .  Lots of standing water in Sierra Valley above. The river is starting to rise slightly .  Rain is banging loudly right now on my metal roof. Will get another pic today to show reference to the rising. The 2nd pic is approximately 16 hrs later. Looks like it is up about a foot.

20170108_065307.jpg

20170108_083912.png

• Like 6

Scott

When the water gets higher, any pictures of the area would be great.  In the 97 flood, I was on the bridge at Camp Layman with a log loader pulling whole trees away from the piers. The high water had already taken out the next bridge down river. The whole bridge was vibrating from the force of the water. Looking back, I wouldn't even walk out on that bridge under those circumstances.

Norm

• Like 7