1515Art    529

Storm was fairly mild last night in the saratoga foothills, but things are picking up now and the power just went out. Strong winds and emergency sirens off in the distance... Think we are in for a long night of candles and flash lights.

klunker    1,230

An exceptionally warm rain here. The snow level is above 6000'.  A reliable source said Chris Ralph and Steve Herschbach were seen headed to the Majuba pacers with a 4"dredge.

• Like 4

Reno Chris    1,067
1 hour ago, klunker said:

A reliable source said Chris Ralph and Steve Herschbach were seen headed to the Majuba pacers with a 4"dredge.

Actually, a location closer to Spring Valley. On the news here they are increasing their projections for flood levels a little bit.

klunker    1,230

I just looked at the Reno radar. It looks like God has determined there are no righteous men in Reno. A big red spot right over the top. You guys need to repent - or at least be careful.

Reno Chris    1,067

Oh, I think we'll be OK. I even went to church this morning in all the rain. Remember, God saved Lot, just not his wife.

:laugh:

• Like 2

strick    772

Coming down hard and steady now here in the east bay...Maybe it's for real this time? The gold rings are sinking deeper in the turf but the beaches are taking a pounding which might make for a good hunt later this week. Hopefully Merton is at dockside and not hauling fuel in this crap. 

strick

• Like 1

Reno Chris    1,067

Just got this off FB -
HIGHWAY 49 Is OFFICIALLY CLOSED Holding traffic in Sierra City and Downieville. STAY HOME - because it is only going to get worse. 12:30 a.m. peak flows are supposed to be tonight. These Road-workers , Law enforcement ,and Volunteers are already stretched thin. Please don't put them in more danger.

During the 1997 flood, a section fo the road between Downieville and Sierra City was washed away into the river.  Hey Steve - Remember the crevice you found the diving weights while sniping in a couple years back? There will be gold in them this year.

The NF Yuba at Downieville as of 12:30 today: (and the water is rising fast)

Yuba_Downieville_2017.jpg

• Like 7

Reno Chris    1,067

NF Yuba at Haypress creek confluence, just at the upper end of Sierra City, 11:40 am Sunday.

Yuba02_Downieville_2017.jpg

• Like 4

1515Art    529

Chris, looks like this is going to hit our friends in the Sierra pretty hard, good time for all of us to consider how we can get together as a group and help provide some relief effort, donations and man power to help out in the name of detector prospectors. I'm available as many others here are as well I'm sure, to help out where I can, perhaps we can organize some resource here to help other members and the communities we live and recreate in?

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Swifty
      Southern California Desert, GPZ 7000, settings high yield, normal ground, high smoothing, sens @9 rest at default. It was very windy so the audio is a  no go.

• By HardPack
      Awoke to a light coming down from the attic access this morning. So I blew out the candle put down the beans, grabbed up the MD and headed up to the surface. Had no idea what I intended to detect in all this snow, perhaps pennies from Heaven. Wasn't long though before I got my first good signal and started digging. Was working this claim on the divide between the Stanislaus and Mokelumne rivers last "Fall" when winter set in and had to lay over for a spell. Don't know exactly what I have detected here but it appears to have crash landed during one of the big blows. I have included a couple photographs so you will be aware of what is headed downhill with the coming of "Spring".
      The triangle pictured in the snow is a log cabin roof with access on the opposite gable. The green object in the other photograph hit in the "tin-foil range" but does not taste like metal. I knocked on what appeared to be a tank hatch but got no reply. Just I started to rebury the thing it started to hum the Marine Corps Hymn at which point I returned to the cabin for some push-ups.
      In what range would a person expect to get for an empty 300 gallon propane tank at depth?

• By Sourdough Scott
      Here is a picture taken on Gold Lake highway today. April 30. Looks to be awhile to get up to the prospecting and detecting areas there. 

• By idahogold
      Latest News!  Cheers,Ig
      Today!
      2Days Ago:

• By idahogold
      Oroville dam Update! At 18:40 he shows ya his "goldpan"!  Cheers,Ig

• By Reno Chris
      I keep reading stuff printed in papers or on other media that is perhaps at best on the verge of sort of true. They are getting desperate for readers / viewers and seem to want to say dang near anything for eyeballs. I heard some funny stories at the GPAA show of folks trying to sneak into the construction area below the Oroville dam spillway - convinced there will be gobs of gold all around because they saw it on TV or in a newspaper. Here are a few recent story lines:
      "Gold hunters in the area tell the Chico Enterprise-Record the floods have "rearranged the rivers" and "move things around." That means gold veins that have been hidden for 200 years are suddenly exposed."
      "According to CBS San Francisco, the floods also swept gold out of abandoned mines and washed it downriver. "
      "While KCRA reports that gold can simply be picked off the ground following major flooding, the best prospecting will come in the summer months when the water has receded."
      C'mon gents! We need to head off to those hills if the gold can now just be picked up off the ground. No doubt gravels have been moved around, gold deposited into crevices and new paystreaks formed. But gold veins hidden since before the 49ers arrived now revealed? I'd guess there are not many. Gold washed out of abandoned mines? I'd guess not much. Gold can just be picked up off the ground? I am sure there are a few new sunbakers sitting around here and there, but not many. I do agree that the best prospecting will come in the summer months when the water levels go down and some good gold will be found, but the media is gone bonkers about saying anything to attract attention.