Storm was fairly mild last night in the saratoga foothills, but things are picking up now and the power just went out. Strong winds and emergency sirens off in the distance... Think we are in for a long night of candles and flash lights.

An exceptionally warm rain here. The snow level is above 6000'.  A reliable source said Chris Ralph and Steve Herschbach were seen headed to the Majuba pacers with a 4"dredge.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, klunker said:

A reliable source said Chris Ralph and Steve Herschbach were seen headed to the Majuba pacers with a 4"dredge.

Actually, a location closer to Spring Valley. On the news here they are increasing their projections for flood levels a little bit.

I just looked at the Reno radar. It looks like God has determined there are no righteous men in Reno. A big red spot right over the top. You guys need to repent - or at least be careful.

Oh, I think we'll be OK. I even went to church this morning in all the rain. Remember, God saved Lot, just not his wife.

:laugh:

• Like 2

Coming down hard and steady now here in the east bay...Maybe it's for real this time? The gold rings are sinking deeper in the turf but the beaches are taking a pounding which might make for a good hunt later this week. Hopefully Merton is at dockside and not hauling fuel in this crap. 

strick

• Like 1

Just got this off FB -
HIGHWAY 49 Is OFFICIALLY CLOSED Holding traffic in Sierra City and Downieville. STAY HOME - because it is only going to get worse. 12:30 a.m. peak flows are supposed to be tonight. These Road-workers , Law enforcement ,and Volunteers are already stretched thin. Please don't put them in more danger.

During the 1997 flood, a section fo the road between Downieville and Sierra City was washed away into the river.  Hey Steve - Remember the crevice you found the diving weights while sniping in a couple years back? There will be gold in them this year.

The NF Yuba at Downieville as of 12:30 today: (and the water is rising fast)

Yuba_Downieville_2017.jpg

• Like 7

NF Yuba at Haypress creek confluence, just at the upper end of Sierra City, 11:40 am Sunday.

Yuba02_Downieville_2017.jpg

• Like 4

Chris, looks like this is going to hit our friends in the Sierra pretty hard, good time for all of us to consider how we can get together as a group and help provide some relief effort, donations and man power to help out in the name of detector prospectors. I'm available as many others here are as well I'm sure, to help out where I can, perhaps we can organize some resource here to help other members and the communities we live and recreate in?

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Steve Herschbach
      You have to love the internet. This book was a rare gem only to be found in libraries or used book stores. Now you can download this classic for free. Anyone with an interest in California gold should download this invaluable reference and study it.
      The Tertiary Gravels of the Sierra Nevada of California, 1911, by Waldemar Lindgren
      USGS Professional Paper 73

Several formats https://archive.org/details/tertiarygravels00knowgoog

USGS pdf http://pubs.er.usgs.gov/publication/pp73
      You can find this and many more useful free books on this website at the Metal Detecting & Prospecting Library
    • By Steve Herschbach
      This is a really great article from about three years ago profiling various people involved in gold prospecting. "An irresistible force is once again beckoning from deep below the Sierra Nevada foothills, as California prepares for its second gold rush. At the vanguard: A new breed of prospectors who are forsaking cushy desk jobs to go in search of untold wealth."

http://www.details.com/story/california-gold-rush-wealth
    • By Reno Chris
      I got out to do a little metal detector prospecting in California yesterday, and got my first nugget of 2017. I've not done any prospecting for months and this was the first time I'd been out prospecting this year.  It's been a rough past few months. Some of you may know why, my mom passed away a couple weeks ago. So I decided this would be a good time for me to get away and to take my dad as well for a short day trip to get away from things for a few hours.
      It was tough to get over the hill into California even on a sunny dry day - I80 westbound has been closed most of the last few days and they were diverting westbound car traffic at Hwy 20 and holding westbound trucks at the state line. A small section of a hill just east of Alta is just sliding down on the freeway like toothpaste. Caltrans clears off what flows onto the road and then more flows down. We were also in a stop and go traffic jam from mogul  - just west of Reno - to nearly the state line as NDOT did emergency repairs on the Nevada side. However, once I made it in, it was a beautiful sunny day. In the gold country, I could see the rivers are all running high and water is flowing down every little drainage. I saw a lot of little mud and rock slides and places where erosion has done damage to the roadways. It was also very green in the lower elevations of the gold country as all the grass and little plants are springing to life. It's still full on winter here around Reno.
      I-80 west is finally open this morning, but the next round of storms arrives tomorrow (Thursday).
      I dug a lot of little bullet frags and bird shot, but it was great just to get out and stretch my legs. I think the little nugget I dug was about my 5th target. It weighs 0.2 grams. Not much but it is gold and now I have something in my bottle for 2017. Gotta start somewhere!

• By Steve Herschbach
      Gold Districts of California by William B. Clark
      1970 California Division of Mines and Geology, Bulletin 193
      This is a relatively up-to-date and comprehensive guide to the gold deposits of California. Although a vast number of publications have been written on gold and gold mining in California, there was no single report or treatise on all of the known gold-bearing districts in the state. This bulletin addresses that issue. In this report the principal features of each gold-bearing district are described. The longer district descriptions contain sections on the location and extent, history, geology and character of the ore deposits, a list of mines, and a bibliography. Production figures are given whenever possible.
      Several formats https://archive.org/details/golddistrictsofc00clarrich

pdf download https://ia700301.us.archive.org/24/items/golddistrictsofc00clarrich/golddistrictsofc00clarrich.pdf

You can find this and many more useful free books on this website at the Metal Detecting & Prospecting Library

• By moxford
      I'm going to head up towards Auburn Rec Area tomorrow (Sunday) if anyone's interesting in a quick outing.  I'm doing some looking now as to where's best in the park so no further details available at this time.

Rock on!

-mox
    • By El Dorado
      Looking like fantastic potential