Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
GB_Amateur

Coils: Minelab Vs. Coiltek?

5 posts in this topic

I'm considering buying (yet) another coil for my ML X-terra 705 -- 15 inch DD operating at 3kHz.  Often Minelab and Coiltek offer complementary (different size/frequency/winding) coils, but in some cases, as what I'm considering, they offer coils that appear to be quite similar.  Given that the Coiltek costs about 50% more, I'm wondering if I should apply the "you get what you pay for" standard advice or save $100 for a future coil purchase.  :wacko:

The new Minelab 15" 3kHz coil is the exact same Coil as the Coiltek WOT.  It's just grey, labeled Minelab and is cheaper.  I had one for a short time and it is a fantastic coil for the 705.  Very deep and quiet in bad ground.  Deeper than my CTX 3030 17" coil combo on dimes.  Well worth the price.

https://www.minelab.com/customer-care/product-notices?article=269779

Bryan

1 person likes this

On 1/7/2017 at 3:25 PM, Cabin Fever said:

The new Minelab 15" 3kHz coil is the exact same Coil as the Coiltek WOT.  It's just grey, labeled Minelab and is cheaper.  I had one for a short time and it is a fantastic coil for the 705.  Very deep and quiet in bad ground.  Deeper than my CTX 3030 17" coil combo on dimes.  Well worth the price.

Thanks, Bryan.  This is exactly the kind of response I was hoping to get here.  Show me a site that even comes close in cooperation/assistance among members!

What makes me a bit concerned is this:  I can understand why Coiltek&Minelab would go into a cooperative agreement here.  Coiltek apparently has a superior product and Minelab has the marketing and sales network.  What I don't understand (and thus makes me suspicious) is why the price went down so drastically.  One thing I've noticed about coils (not necessarily tied to one manufacturer) is how the prices fluctuate.  And it's not just the downward direction.  It's Minelab's business and decision to set the prices where they feel they will make the most profit in the short run and long term, and we've seen this in the past; it's no secret.  But are they going to continue to sell a coil they don't build (and thus share the profit) at 2/3 of what Coiltek was asking, or is this just a hidden introductory offer?

Minelab could have made a quantity buy, versus Coiltek selling one here or there. Or maybe Minelab licensed the design and is getting it made in it's own facilities for less? Or consider this - Coiltek probably had to pay a good licensing fee to Minelab to make an officially approved X-Terra coil since they have a proprietary chip inside to sense the frequency. Minelab does not have to pay itself that fee. Look at how much a 5 x 10 Joey coil costs for a Minelab PI from Coiltek and then what the same coil costs from Coiltek to fit a CTX and you will see what I mean.

We can speculate all we want. If it was some unknown company I can see being suspicious but I personally sure would not be worrying about buying the coil if it has the Minelab name on it instead of the Coiltek name.

1 hour ago, Steve Herschbach said:

I personally sure would not be worrying about buying the coil if it has the Minelab name on it instead of the Coiltek name.

Agree.  But actually my concern was a price increase in the near future from the market $190 (compared to the market $290 that Coiltek retailers  were charging).  As has been mentioned here before, price reflects more on what the sellers feel the market will bear than the manufacturing+marketing costs.  Maybe it's  $50 cost for them....

Just bought a used Coiltek, so I should be good-to-go.  Thanks for the helpful responses.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Similar Content

• By Ridge Runner
      I myself when I get something new like a coil for one of my detectors I think all is well. Well my thinking has just been shot down. I've had this 7 inch coil from Detech not too long but never really checked it over but I won't do that again. What I found was the nut at the coil didn't have maybe but one turn on it. I know that this could come from any coil company and I was lucky that it hadn't gotten wet.
      I do find that the Detech 7" coil works great on my MX Sport and I don't regret buying it.
      This is just to let you know when you think you know everything you really don't.
      Chuck
    • By Jackpine
      I had been running my threshold setting at 7 to get the slight hum in my phones and it finally dawned on me this is not an optimum setting for picking up deeper fainter signals since a setting closer to 0 should be best.  Having always ran the detector volume control in the upper ranges and using the headphones to control the audio level, I decided to switch it around by setting the headphones to max and using the detectors volume control to set the overall audio level.  This made a huge difference, now I can get that same slight hum with a threshold setting of 2. Subjectively there seems to be much less modulation on the deeper targets where now coins in the 10"+ range are much louder hits.  I'm also running the detector volume control at 4 to 5 to get the same audio volume I was getting before with it set in the mid 20's.
      Tom 
      OK so I decided to do some air tests to see what difference there is in audio modulation and on coin size targets there is a difference in audio the last few inches.
      First number is a full audio report distance (or as close as my ears perceive it), second number is the distance target lost.  The difference between is the amount of audio modulation where the target volume decreases to the point the signal is lost.
      The first column is with the headphone volume at max and threshold audible at 1 setting (0 is silent),  second column is detector volume at max with threshold at 7 (6 silent)
      Headphones max......................-... Detector max dime............. .............9" /10" ...- ..7" / 10"                 Buff nickel......9-1/2" / 10-1/2" ...-.. 8" / 10-1/2" IH penney..........10" / 10-1/2"....-....9" / 10-1/2"    As we see there is no difference in detection distance between the 2 settings but a more modulated audio response with the detector volume at max.
      I also tried the dime with the detector volume at max with a 0 threshold setting and the results were a full volume report to 6" with a max detectable distance of 9", for a 1" loss. Because of this it is apparent that ML has designed the threshold level to follow the volume setting (7 equals 1) which would allow max sensitivity when the detector is used without headphones in cases where a high volume setting is needed to overcome ambient noise.   The loss of response on the dime indicating a negative threshold setting because at this volume setting 6 is actually zero.
      Since these were coin sized targets and not tiny nuggets the difference could be even bigger when nugget hunting.

• By Steve Herschbach
      The Gold Bug Pro had turned into one of my favorite prospecting machines, especially for trashy areas. Ray Mills and I have been bugging (get it?) Fisher to put the machine out with the 10" elliptical coil as stock. In my opinion it is the best all around coil for the detector and also makes it look like it should as a prospecting detector and cousin to the Gold Bug 2. Right now you can only get the coil as part of a package or as an after purchase accessory. The coil works on the Fisher F5, Gold Bug, Gold Bug Pro, and Teknetics G2.

• By Steve Herschbach
      VLF detectors can come with DD or concentric coils. This is similar to but not quite the same thing as DD versus mono on a pulse induction detector.
      VLF detectors are more alike than different these days. One thing that can make a real difference is what coil the detector comes with. Two very similar models will be quite different if one comes with a 12" round mono, and another an 11" x 7" DD.
      In this case the very same detector can be turned into two different detectors by changing coils. Here are a couple rarely seen on the F75 - the 10" x 5" DD and 10" elliptical concentric. A big difference between the Teknetics T2 and Fisher F75 was that the F75 came later and the ability to use concentric coils was added. The T2 can only use DD coils
      Why DD or concentric? DD coils are all the rage these days. However, concentrics have more consistent detection patterns with less dead spots up close. Every notice how that DD coil goes wacky on shallow targets? And concentric coils are much better at identifying flat ferrous targets like bottle caps. Here it is from the guy that should know best, Dave Johnson, lead designer on the F75.
      About Search Coils http://www.fisherlab.com/hobby/davejohnson/searchcoilsessayrevised.htm
      Search Coil Field Shape http://www.fisherlab.com/hobby/davejohnson/SearchcoilfieldshapeApril2012.pdf
      I like the 10" DD for the solid design, better for working in stubble or other locations where an open coil might hang up. The concentric just for being better behaved. The DD is the better prospecting coil for bad ground. Concentrics do well on milder ground.
      A note on coils. The blade like knife edged detecting pattern depicted in DD marketing ads is largely myth. Electromagnetic fields radiate and simple coils cannot focus them into beams. A round concentric coil has a search field shaped like a soccer ball cut in half. A similar size DD coil will have a search field more like a football cut in half lengthwise. If you ever doubt this, just fire up your detector with a DD coil, flip it over, and run a coin under the coil noting where the signal fades at different locations under the coil.
      Finally, depth is more related to coil width than coil length. Think of a 5" x 10" coil as a stretched out 5" coil, not as a skinny 10" coil. That is why when listing elliptical coil sizes you will often see me putting the small number first. Marketers do it the other way around so you tend to think you are getting more than you are.

Fisher F75 with 10" Elliptical DD Coil

Fisher F75 with 10" Elliptical Concentric Coil
    • By idahogold
      Regardless of the "Machine" your swingin' now! What coil was your favorite? 
      My Favorite is below .Nugget Finder Advantage 3 spoke's the whole range...
      ."What a Ya Reckon....1:57    "Only Fools Reckon"  and at 3:58
      "Oooooo! How good is that Coil"
      "Are you Downgrading your Optimism? 2:33  I hope you Enjoy this "dig" as much as I do!
      Cheers! Ig

• By wannabe
      i have three coils for sale, one minlab 1100 new in bag for 100.00, and one coiltec 15" wat coil, new, not in package for 100.00. i was using these coils on a minlab eureka gold which i no longer have, they may work on other detectors, you can contact a dealer to check