Squizz

First Hunt For 2017 , Skunked First Day !

13 posts in this topic

Nice hunting and fun commentary.

Thank you for posting…

32 minutes ago, flakmagnet said:

Nice hunting and fun commentary.

Thank you for posting…

Thanks, I like to share and inspire !

Regards,

Squizz

Well done.  You fooled me with the title.  I didn't think I would see any gold let alone a nice slug and pretty specimen.

Please edit the title.  I don't like to be 'faked out' like that.

Mitchel

14 minutes ago, mn90403 said:

Well done.  You fooled me with the title.  I didn't think I would see any gold let alone a nice slug and pretty specimen.

Please edit the title.  I don't like to be 'faked out' like that.

Mitchel

Apologies Mitchel should have put first day at the end! 

Squizz 

1 person likes this

How do I edit title ? Anyone?

Squizz

First, try to edit the post.  Some will let you edit the title and others won't.

Good Luck.

Edit:  I just looked at one of my posts and sure enough you can edit the title of the post.  I'd say: Over Half Ounce of Gold and a Specimen for 2017

1 person likes this

WTG, lovely 17 gold.

there would be no surprises if everyone did it your way, Mitchel!

great story, I liked it.

fred

1 person likes this

The bigger piece sort of looks like a gold fish.

7 hours ago, Squizz said:

How do I edit title ? Anyone?

Squizz

Use the edit function in the post.

G'day Sqizz, Wicked mate. Good on you. Skunked first day, (I thought you were going to blame JP's settings) but you made up for it on he 2nd. Had to laugh at your "JW Special" Story of my detecting life mate, the sub grammers. Thanks for sharing

Good luck out there for 2017

JW :)

1 person likes this

14 hours ago, fredmason said:

there would be no surprises if everyone did it your way, Mitchel!

great story, I liked it.

fred

Fred,

I wanted everyone to see the gold.  He said he got skunked ... far, far from it!

Good job on the edit Squizz.

Mitchel

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By californiagold
      Hello,
      Ive been away working 2 jobs 16 hours a day for last 3 1/2 months. With only a couple days off a month. And it has been some hard times for my personal live losing my best friend, another good friend and my Aunt. but forward I shall keep going.
      Anyway on my very few days off I went detecting with Nokta Fors plus, makro Gold Racer & makro Racer 2 to find some bits of gold. They are all  great gold detectors and I will get back out again soon for more. hope everybodys new years is starting off great.
      Good luck!

• By kiwijw
      Hi Guys. Took the Zed for a late afternoon walk back to one of my well flogged patches. Took my spare pick after breaking my good old faithful Walco pick last time I was out. I continued on from where I left off the previous time. The ground was a little bit lively as we had a heavy down pour of rain during the previous night. The Zed was a bit more touchy but after several ground balances over the ferrite & a few auto tunes I got it to a manageable steady threshold with out having to change any of the other settings. 5 minutes in to it & my first very faint little signal.

Couple of scrapes & it was out.

Ten feet away & more of a hunch that there was a signal & not very convincing at that. Gave it a few scrapes & it improved very slightly but was now sounding like a very faint signal. So I scraped on down until I hit the schist bed rock. Which wasnt far down. You will just make it out in the pic

Signal had really improved now so I scraped out two crevices that had opened out in the hole.

I had brought a screwdriver today to scrape out just such crevices....& bingo. A sassy bit of gold

Before I back filled the dig I scanned the hole & the dug out dirt pile. Another wee signal down in the crevice.

Another little bit of gold

Again I scanned the dig out pile & the fainest of signals & another tiny bit of gold

I stopped for a bite to eat & a coffee before carrying on. Had a bit of a dry spell for a while before another very faint little signal. Again....down in the schist bed rock

Tiny gold it was

This a pic looking down slope of the exposed schist bed rock tilted up on edge.

And this is looking up hill to the dig of the last wee piece of gold

This is a surfaced area from the old timers. That little shallow gutter running up to the left produced many bits of gold for the GP 3000, the 4500 & now for the Zed

Just to the right of that green bush (briar rose) is an old small throw out pile from the old timers & is where I got the next three tiny bits of gold from.

I called it quits at that & had got 8 bits for a grand total of 1.34 grams   Smallest was .04 of a gram & the biggest was two at .31 of a gram.

Cheers  

Good luck out there

JW  
      kiwijw  
    • By DolanDave
      Got out today to the Pahrump / Johnnie NV area today. Still new to the GPZ , since selling the GPX 5000 not to long ago. But learning from everyone here sharing their experiences and settings on the GPZ got me on top of a little gold today. I have to say, Im pretty impressed with this machine. Its got me on some good gold and meteorites in the short time Ive had it.
      Dave

• By IDdesertman
      Just looking through some old pics and came across this one from a few years back... Some gold found by a couple friends that mine near Fairbanks, Alaska. Don't recall the total, maybe 10-15 ounces in the pic.
      A little motivation for everyone...

• By LuckyLundy
      Blood, sweat, tears and a million dig holes!  I, remember many of them.  It's the hunt for them and the sweet sound in my headphones, that I cherish!  Until the next hunt...when ever this rain ends?
      LuckyLundy

• By kiwijw
      Hi guys, After working on my schist columns all day, & Mrs JW had a wedding to video, I buggered off at about 5pm & headed back to where I got those last 8 little bits. I planned on going a bit further over  from where I had been going the last couple of times. Still, the spot I chose was an area where I had done well with the GP 3000 & 4500 but was no longer getting gold there with the 4500. I dont think though that I had used the Elite coils here. Any way......I parked up & walked to the spot. Got rigged up & hit an area of semi exposed bed rock schist that the old timers had surface washed. Not even a minute in to it & I had a soft faint signel. Scraped about 1.5 inches off it & that lifted the signal

So I laid in to the dig with a bit more effort. Next minute.

Oh no....you b**tard. Shite bugger damn. Those last few times that I had been smashing into that solid schist to get a few signals out had taken there toll on my pick. I knew I felt the pain for my pick at the time. Didnt I say so. What do I do??? Pack up & come back later with another pick?? Maybe I will just keep detecting & mark spots where I get a signal & then come back & dig them. I picked up the head of the pick & had a go at scraping & digging as best I could.

So...scrape scrape dig dig...wasnt too bad actually. Down in to the schist bed rock which was actually quite rotten & soft & broke out easily

Ye Ha.    A nice little bit of the good stuff.

Not five feet away, another very faint signal...I think. Some times you just think you here a slight hiccup in the threshold or just a hunch that it was a signal as it isnt all ways there with each sweep of the coil. I gave it a few scrapes any way.

The hint of a signal improved so I kept on going down in to the schist bed rock. Into a few crevices

A small bit of gold

And again

Another small bit

This just kept on happening & no crap signals. All gold. Have detected here so often that there is no crap targets left. Bonus now.

Look at the depth. I was lucky that this schist was rotten & soft & peeled away easily

Nice piece

Deep in to another schist crevice

Loving the no crap tagets. Just GOLD

The signals just kept on coming

Thought I saw a bit of rusty crap come out of this hole, as it was a loud sharp signal as well

But no  

Actually got two bits out of that dig

Down in to a deep schist crevice

Time out & a look at the finds so far

In to the schist bed rock again

The hand was getting a bit sore as some of these digs were quite deep

And getting deeper

But still the gold was coming & all off thrashed ground. Loving the Zed.

Two bits from this hole

Well it was time to head out & back to the wagon.

All up 13 bits for 5.33 grams. Sure beat the other days 57 bits for 4.55 grams

The Zed just keeps on blowing me away. What a machine.

Thanks guys.

Best of luck to you out there

JW  
      kiwijw