Squizz

First Hunt For 2017 , Skunked First Day !

13 posts in this topic

Nice hunting and fun commentary.

Thank you for posting…

32 minutes ago, flakmagnet said:

Nice hunting and fun commentary.

Thank you for posting…

Thanks, I like to share and inspire !

Regards,

Squizz

Well done.  You fooled me with the title.  I didn't think I would see any gold let alone a nice slug and pretty specimen.

Please edit the title.  I don't like to be 'faked out' like that.

Mitchel

14 minutes ago, mn90403 said:

Well done.  You fooled me with the title.  I didn't think I would see any gold let alone a nice slug and pretty specimen.

Please edit the title.  I don't like to be 'faked out' like that.

Mitchel

Apologies Mitchel should have put first day at the end! 

Squizz 

1 person likes this

How do I edit title ? Anyone?

Squizz

First, try to edit the post.  Some will let you edit the title and others won't.

Good Luck.

Edit:  I just looked at one of my posts and sure enough you can edit the title of the post.  I'd say: Over Half Ounce of Gold and a Specimen for 2017

1 person likes this

WTG, lovely 17 gold.

there would be no surprises if everyone did it your way, Mitchel!

great story, I liked it.

fred

1 person likes this

The bigger piece sort of looks like a gold fish.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Jennifer
      Recently purchased a used Nugget Finder Evo from a forum member... wasn't planning on a trip to Gold Basin this weekend but woke up Sunday morning, jumped in the truck, was there having a nice breakfast by 11:00AM, said hi to some friends, jumped on the side of a ridge and BAM, BAM, BAM, BAM, BAM.... all within an hour, all within 150'... spent the next couple hours checking the area around it, nice tight little patch..
      Cleaned up, no dirt... 9.29 grams, over a quarter ounce troy, at today's price of $40.48 per gram = $376.05 US$ BOOOO YAAAAAAA fuel and coil paid for.. awesome day in Gold Basin...
      Jen

• By Chris Ben
      Went out with a buddy Saturday and tried a couple of new areas. Full of trash. Got tired of digging trash with no gold see we decided to move on to another area that had been extensively drywashed in hopes of picking up a few scraps. Still a bunch of trash but I picked up the specie on a bench on bedrock under about 10 in of silt. Nice solid signal on the GPZ 
      Same nugget, different angle. 3.3 grams

Also found a half gram solid piece. 
      Chris
    • By whitebutler
      Woke up grabbed the 7000 and left for the day. It's what I love to do on my birthday. I called an old friend to ask if I could swing a coil of his land. Of course you can he replied. I haven't ever been there with a detector so what the heck.
      After my half hour drive a stepped out grabbed my gear got suited up and headed out. I stepped about sixty feet from my pickup and was mired in a patch. Four hours I was up and down like mad. Every swing yielded a nugget. I got tired after 3.3 ounces. Had to head home for a pint. Here's some pics

VID_20170320_120017175.mp4
    • By madtuna
      Rain stopped about mid day so I shot out for a couple of hours in the arvo.
      Bang on 1/2 oz which brings the total for this spot to just over 5 oz so far.
      I can smell a big chunk hiding here somewhere.

• By GoldEn
      Hi all
      they small you get 10-15-20 each time but they add up.
      And they usually clean nuggets.
      All very shallow and fun to get.
      GoldEN

• By kiwijw
      Hi guys, I went off for a late afternoon detect yesterday back to the same area as my previous tiny tiny zed gold post as I hadn't finished there due to getting chased out by fading light. The beauty of going back over old areas is that there is very little to no rubbish. I did get a few tiny remains of some boot tacks but that was it. Not far from the last little bit I got the time before I got a sweet faint signal in some up on edge schist.

Scraping away a bit of dirt I uncovered a small crevice in the schist that I was sure the signal was in. Right beside my pick point

It was getting deeper & still in the crevise

Finally it was out

Never as big as the signal makes you think/hope it is going to be. Especially when you are getting down a bit.

The Zed still surprises me at the depths it gets this small gold. This was getting down to about 6 inches.
      This is a view of the ground sluiced area & the schist the old timers exposed. The back filled hole is just past & under those two briar rose bushes just right of center. As you can see there is still a bit of deeper ground between the higher exposed schist. I scored some multi gram bits in those back with the GP 3000.

My next very faint signal was right at the picks point....so I thought. You will see that it is stuck in some lose material that is covering a crack or crevice in the schist bed rock.

After a bit of scraping in that now exposed small shallow crevice at the bottom of the pic, I realised it was in a tight crack. that you will see above that first crevice & to the right. I ended up hauling a big slab of schist out as you will see by the large hole that created.

My dilemma now was that the signal was dropping down deeper & deeper in to that crevice. I was lucky that about 5 years ago I had left a 5 foot crow bar hidden in the bushes not far away that I had used to leaver out some moranic boulders from where the old timers had stopped sluicing. I scored some nice bits of gold from doing that. So that bar was my Savior here, allowing me the power & leverage to shift these slabs of schist. My other dilemma was that this was not far from a cliff face dropping 80 meters down in to the river below & although these slabs of schist were solid were they weren't fractured. The fracture direction was like sliced bread peeling off & dropping to the river below. When I put the bar in to a crack & levered, the whole lot would move.
      My next move was to try to move that larger slab of schist at the top end of the pick head at that 90 degree fracture line by the picks point. Got the bar in there & yer....moved the bastard. Ye Ha

Now I had the signal a bit more isolated in the middle of that hole. I just had to try & get to it without opening up the schist more & having the signal keep dropping on me. Other wise I was going to lose it.
      Here is an idea of how deep it was getting. You can see the original height from the dirt line on that back wall. You will also see from my shadow & where my detector is just where I was standing....in the 2nd pic below.

Another angle. Note the drop off to the river down below. May not look far in that pic but the next one is from the same area but back a little bit.

In fact, that ground you can see in the bottom right hand corner those gravels are on the same run of schist, the schist edge is just to the right & out a bit more

Ok Ok...to put you out of your misery.....Did I get the target???    After about an hour of careful levering prizing & scrapping with a stick I had the signal out.
      It wont pay off the National debt....but no catch & release. Boy ...did I work hard for that piece.

I then moved on to another area & got three little bits out of this small surface area. All very shallow

So  all up 5 bits for .67 of a gram.

Settings. High yield/normal. Audio smoothing OFF. Sensitivity 6. Cheers
      Good luck out there
      JW