Squizz

First Hunt For 2017 , Skunked First Day !

13 posts in this topic

Nice hunting and fun commentary.

Thank you for posting…

32 minutes ago, flakmagnet said:

Nice hunting and fun commentary.

Thank you for posting…

Thanks, I like to share and inspire !

Regards,

Squizz

Well done.  You fooled me with the title.  I didn't think I would see any gold let alone a nice slug and pretty specimen.

Please edit the title.  I don't like to be 'faked out' like that.

Mitchel

14 minutes ago, mn90403 said:

Well done.  You fooled me with the title.  I didn't think I would see any gold let alone a nice slug and pretty specimen.

Please edit the title.  I don't like to be 'faked out' like that.

Mitchel

Apologies Mitchel should have put first day at the end! 

Squizz 

1 person likes this

How do I edit title ? Anyone?

Squizz

First, try to edit the post.  Some will let you edit the title and others won't.

Good Luck.

Edit:  I just looked at one of my posts and sure enough you can edit the title of the post.  I'd say: Over Half Ounce of Gold and a Specimen for 2017

1 person likes this

WTG, lovely 17 gold.

there would be no surprises if everyone did it your way, Mitchel!

great story, I liked it.

fred

1 person likes this

The bigger piece sort of looks like a gold fish.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By whitebutler
      Hating the lightning! I couldn't hear signals any longer. I had to leave after a great day in the rain diggin. I dug all the .22 slugs from three counties and a half ton of canslaw. Finally a bit luck. The J shape is 12.2 DWT and a total of 16.1 DWT. I'm happy for the day. 

• By Jen58
      Hi all
      son went out the other day down here in Victoria (Aussie) land
      In a well detected area.
      he was using his gpz7000 with the 19 inch coil, general gold mode and difficult ground mode
      he said it was a wirey sort of sound, thought it need to be investigated.
      with his pick he scrapped off a layer of dirt, then he said it sounded better.. 
      after digging down 24 inches this is what he was rewarded with.

• By phoenix
      I realize things have been a bit wet underfoot on the West Coast but here in central Victoria I have been in a real drought. I have been finding point oners but yesterday I got one over 1 gram.     The  7000 with 14" coil I got this at the limit of the detector using JP`s conservative settings.  It was 12 or 14" deep in very hard ground and goes a whopping 1.7 grams 
      Dave

• By Aussieau
      Here's a few pics of some gold found with my gpx 5000. Everything was found around the goldfields of Western Australia and everything bar the big specie has been found since December 2016.
      the big specie ended up crushing out to 13.5oz of gold 

• By Chris Ben
      Hi all, finally got to take me new GPZ out for its Maiden run. To my girlfriend and her daughters out with me, but had to promise to take them to see the snow in the mtns after. I hit a wash I had found a couple of specks with my GMT, but struck out with my ATX. In 5 minutes I had my first signal, a sub gram specie at about 6 or 7 in. A few moments later hit another subject gram piece. A few minutes later dug up a 2+ grammer. Then I was notified by my girlfriend that the kids were cold and wanted to leave. Lol that was quick but I was happy with 3.5 grams for the day. Better than I had been doing.
      The next day was to be a more serious day detecting. Met up with my buddy Dave and headed out to a new area. Walked a few washes for nothing then got a high pitched signal. Dug up what may be a small meteorite. I don't have a picture but Dave might. Then found the tiniest speci with the smallest speck of gold visible. Wow! the power of the GPZ. 
      After basically striking out Dave and I decided to head back to and area we had done ok. Which happens to be near the wash from yesterday. So I got right back into it and was back on the gold. I have to say this was the first true patch I had found. Tried to radio Dave and tell him how I was doing, but he was out of range. When I got up to about ten nuggets I got a call from Dave and he said he had no luck. So I told him there was still 40 or 50 yards left of this was. Told him to start at the top and we'd meet in the middle. He even picked up a couple I missed. I ended up with 20 nuggets for the day, and Dave got 9. Best day ever detecting. 13.6grams for the day 17grams for the 2 days. I'm on a quest to pay for my GPZ and 17 grams takes out a big chunk. Completely amazed at the power of that detector.  
      I'm sure there is still some gold left in that patch. Can't wait to get back.
      Chris

• By kiwijw
      Hi guys, I had been dying to try out Davegolds (he is in Australia & makes & sells picks) new pick that he sent over the ditch for me. It looked the business. Cheers Dave
      I ended up going for a late afternoon detect back to the area of my last few finds posts & where my old pick broke. I wanted to go over the ground one more time & try a few different settings to see if I could squeeze out a few more bits. I needed to have an absolute smooth steady threshold, paramount, to hear those very faint whispers. There are powerlines very close by but they had given me no problems the last couple of times here with the Zed. I fired up the Zed, auto tuned, ground balanced, & there was this tick tick tick in the audio. I tried auto tuning a few times & I noticed I had to push the pad several times to get the auto tune to do its thing  this had never happened before. After a few goes at trying to get this tick tick tick to abate I had no joy. It was more like an electric fence pulse than powerlines. Not that I had noticed an electric fence close by. I tried detecting with this interference but I needed that smooth steady threshold & this was doing my head in so I had to move to another area away from the interference.
      This achieved I found myself on ground that I didnt hold any hope of getting any thing on. I was on occasion still getting the odd interference which wasnt helping me. I was on solid schist that the old timers had exposed with their ground sluicing. I think the last time I had found gold here was with the Gold Bug 2. The ground was very uneven & awkward to walk on let alone poke & prod with the Zed's 14" coil. Even the 4500 & sadie coil was a mission to twist & poke & drag through the schist crevices. Hence the GB2 was a lot more suitable for this. Any way I gave it my best with the Zed.....& after a while I thought I heard a bit of a hiccup in the threshold. It was hard to be certain with the interference. But out came Daves pick to carve out some schist. Boy....it made short work of that. I was now able to get the edge of the coil deeper in to the schist crevice. Yep....a definite signal. Was it going to be gold or a shoty pellet. Can you see it up & to the left of the G on the coil

.14 of a gram

This was too difficult for the Zed & me & as my inital plan was foiled by the interference I decided to call it quits. Oh well....at least I wasnt skunked. Cheers

Good luck out there

JW  
      kiwijw