• Announcements

• Steve Herschbach

Archives Closed - New Forums   10/16/2017

The old archive system has been closed and the threads moved to new forums. See the full forum listing here. Detailed explanation here.

Made another 3D map, this time it's Barringer (Meteor) Crater in Northern Arizona.

This is a small map, if you would like better resolution I have it but it will be a slow load on most connections.

You can move around in the 3D environment with your mouse. Pan, Zoom and get Information from the features. Try typing in an "r" and watch the mountain spin in 3D. Type an "L" to turn on or off the labels. The "I" in the lower left corner will show you more options.

• Like 2

That's super cool, this resolution was instant fast on my cable (Comcast) connection and iPad and easy to navigate around, thank you.

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Steve Herschbach
      When Chris ralph and I were down in Phoenix I was fortunate that Chris lined up a dinner with Barry and Leigh, the brilliant couple behind the new non-profit educational organization, Land Matters. The website at http://www.mylandmatters.org/ is your constantly expanding source of land related information, including:
      Library - A Library full of free maps, guides, books, tutorials and reference materials.
      Maps - Interactive maps for your area of interest. More being added every week.
      Articles - Factual articles written by those in the know. Information that you can rely on.
      Resources - Links and contacts to other communities of knowledge.
      Outreach - Programs that engage the community directly. Seminars, outings, trainings etc.
      I am far from done checking it all out myself, but this looks like something we should all consider getting on board with and supporting if possible. Check it out. I have added this banner to the rotating collection in the upper left corner:

and added them to my links list
      Barry and Leigh, very nice meeting you, and keep up the great work!
      Here is a link to the new interactive land management status map http://www.mylandmatters.org/Maps/Management/GetMap

• By Steve Herschbach
      Last fall I ordered the North Fork American River edition of the FootPrints mapping software produced by Miner Diggins at http://www.minerdiggins.com/ I am far from expert with the software, but my stock in trade is research and I immediately saw the value in this series. In theory it is information I could find on my own for "free" but my time is valuable. Any shortcuts I can take when getting the information I need to go prospecting I am more than willing to invest in. I just ordered the Middle Fork American River, Gold Basin, North Bradshaws, East Bradshaws, and Black Canyon editions, all for less than the cost of a Minelab coil.

The most valuable part for me is the current mining claims mapped to more than section level accuracy, which is all you get with other software. Not knocking the other guys - I subscribe to them also. There is a lot of additional value in geologic and historical map overlays. All in all, an excellent product well worth the investment.

Now if Clay and Ruby can just get those other California editions completed and available, the sooner the better, I will add to my collection. Great stuff - I just love maps!

• By Rick Kempf
      This looks interesting. An app for Android devices for tracking your detecting and recording finds. The possibilities for prospecting are really huge.
      Here's a post regarding the app.
      http://www.findmall.com/read.php?34,2069334,2069425#msg-2069425
      Here's a link to the Android Play Store for the app.
      https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.trib.app.tectotraklite
      The IOS version is a Kickstarter Project and I went ahead and pledged $5 hoping he gets it done - cause I don't have an Android phone.
    • By fredmason
      While up in the Sierra for a WSPA Outing I used my gpz. I had not used it since I did the upgrade. 
      When I pushed the map button the man-icon came up but there were no tracks. The unit would mark a point and display it but no tracks to see where I had wandered.
      I also noticed the unit would not return to correct threshold in a timely manner. Nor did the other functions always work correctly...
      two different issues I think. What say yea?
      fred
    • By Jin
      A video I made that might help someone who uses a Google Earth and wants to transfer that data onto a GPS. I use this all the time to quickly drive/walk into areas that I've researched online. My other video that I did shows you how I overlay old maps onto Google Earth. Hope it helps at least someone.

• By phoenix
      For a few years now I have been fascinated with a map that was published in 1915, but this map is very hard to work with, because most of the roads that are on it no longer exist and there is no sign of them what so ever and most of the tracks that are currently there are not on the map.    It took me a bit of mucking around to get 2 maps the same size and location, but I found a free site where you can overlay one image onto another.  This is part of the original map that shows roads that are no longer there and the bottom map I have overlayed the original to put in the tracks that are currently there from a topographic map.   This map now becomes way more user friendly for me because of the overlayed tracks. 
      Somebody else may find this site useful.  Dave
      https://www.imgonline.com.ua/eng/impose-picture-on-another-picture.php

imghost