The Best Coil For The MX Sport?

For me it would depend on the site.  High use sites get a large coil to cover ground fast for recent drops and also for deep sand areas to get those lunker men's rings missed in the past and have worked there way down.  Popular high use sites get hit hard by local detectorists so you gotta hit em hard and fast.

Smaller coils for near shore iron infested sites where patient slow work is required. 

• Like 1

Thanks Steve and jack pine  for some help,  say a friend of mine would like to know if any one has tested the MX concentric coil in fresh water and what was its depth capabilities and separation ,  also lm trying to decide on MX 13inch coil to find deep lunker gold rings  ,has anyone used one and was it worth it ,and how did it handle a mildly trashy area. Id like to buy all three MX coils but two would be less expensive,  I've seen some very good reviews on the smallest MX coil , Guess I'll have to pick up a few more drywall and paint jobs.         After watching some desert gold you tubes l want to move out west for the winter,! Gold fresh water rings don't happen every day in northern mi  it seems people hunting nuggies out west definitely do much better ,in that department.  But still happy with what I've found in 8 months with a lot more to learn from this forum.  I put a picture on my profile of my finds with at pro,  hoping to find even more with the MX sport  I'll need to slow down and get ready to dig to china  .  thanks again  from gramps green.   Oh by the way grandkids love my treasures........

• Like 1

Gramps

The stock 10" might be all that's needed for coverage and depth. At least try it out for a while before springing for a larger coil. I also would like to know if someone has tried the concentric for wading.  The design doesn't look to friendly for swinging through the water.

BTW I live in Central Lake so we are neighbors.  Ran into Shorty a couple times last summer while wading.  Have known him for years.

Tom

Good morning ! Jackpine ,   good advice about trying out the stock coil before buying more. I'm trying to do that but the tempture hasen,t came up to at least 29 degrees even better over 32 . looks like maybe 37 or higher sometime next few days .  but the wind speed and direction really matters, its mutch better when the waves are heading out into the bay. Around two weeks ago I was still m dinging clinch park   deep pull tabs        and lots of them ,l think a big lunker class ring is hiding down there, one that shorty ringmaster has missed        yes l know shorty ,he's the only one that would help me to get started, am sure thankful for his help.   He's found all his glory at are knee depth or less , hes got the MX sport as well for the torch lake sand bar  he's the one that wanted to know about the concentric coil.    I got to go deep to find treasure he can't reach or hit the rivers.he's a good guy.  Hey! I've got a lot of family at central lakes cemetery   .Google earth maplandia sure helps find hunting places , antrim county has lots of lakes but! I haven't found that much I wonder why jackpine??. I sapose your saving up for your retirement like shorty ?  l told shorty quite raping the wreck leave some treasure for  others nope!  Was his response.  He's the only one lve seen this winter  l guess other detectorist are more fair weather , or smarter than us .hey Larry found a beautiful gold diamond filled bracelet at the sand bar this summer with the MX sport what a find. ! Want to find like that!!! Well thanks again jackpine for writing back  sometimes l wish there was a detect club up are way like they are down state their like a big happy family , thank god for the forums. Oh buy the way you missed some change at the play ground beach at central lake this summer...good luck grampa

Glad to meet you Grandpa

Shorty is quite the guy.  Never have seen him go much over waist deep while hunting.  I spotted a small pothole lake out in the middle of nowhere on google earth one time that looked like it had sandy beaches.  Drove 2 miles down a 2 track to get there and who do I see? Yup, Shorty!

Years ago I ran into a couple guys from Kalkaska and they asked me if I ever hunted Shanty Creek beach. I didn't say.  They told me someone hammered that place.  Really!  LOL

Tom

Thanks Steve and jack pine  for some help,  say a friend of mine would like to know if any one has tested the MX concentric coil in fresh water and what was its depth capabilities and separation ,  also lm trying to decide on MX 13inch coil to find deep lunker gold rings  ,has anyone used one and was it worth it ,and how did it handle a mildly trashy area. Id like to buy all three MX coils but two would be less expensive,  I've seen some very good reviews on the smallest MX coil , Guess I'll have to pick up a few more drywall and paint jobs.         After watching some desert gold you tubes l want to move out west for the winter,! Gold fresh water rings don't happen every day in northern mi  it seems people hunting nuggies out west definitely do much better ,in that department.  But still happy with what I've found in 8 months with a lot more to learn from this forum.  I put a picture on my profile of my finds with at pro,  hoping to find even more with the MX sport  I'll need to slow down and get ready to dig to china  .  thanks again  from gramps green.   Oh by the way grandkids love my treasures........

Thanks guys for a response back on the floating coil I'll let shorty know, well I took the mx sport out for the first time in grand traverse bay  the temp was 20 degrees or so ,hunted for an hour or so each time  wasn,t  sure how much cold the MX would take  tried the trash program,  the all metal  and coin and jewelry modes   stayed in coin and jewelry most of the time.  It seemed to work fine in that weather ,l found a pendant gold looking but it was not in my pocket back at the truck ?  definitely am going to need a close to real lake bottom test patch at home , l sold a mxt last year because of its noisiness ,   can,t be doing that again! This machine is super sensitive ,,especially for a at pro hunter.   Well guys guess l better tell you what happened when l completely submerged it !  It released bubbles l think from around the clear top , not totally sure ? But it still worked fine and l din,t see water under the top . this is supposed to be the after September unit,  is that normal please respond back. Gramps