Steve Herschbach

We Have Gone Backwards On Detection Depth Since 1973

18 posts in this topic

I was looking at some old metal detector catalogs and got a chuckle out of these charts from the 1973 Garrett catalog. People get up in arms about advertising claims these days but get a look at these. To their credit they say "large metal objects" and do not define what that is (dump truck?) but we are talking 1973 BFO detectors here. I need to ditch my new detectors and get one of those old machines! Unfortunately depths were measured in inches then, not feet, on normal targets.

The irony is the page is addressing "misleading advertising".

garrett-bfo-metal-detector-coil-depth-comparison-chart-1973.jpg

garrett-metal-detector-depth-illustration-1973.jpg

9 people like this

Crikey much more then 40% deeper than a Z. Eat your heart out ML.

I had one of those Garretts, back then I was more gullible and believed a lot of the advertising. About 4" on a coin if I remember correctly. Someone told me the word "gullible" wasn't in the dictionary and I believed him.LOL

hype ain't new...for years every new model from Garrett (to name one) was touted to go 20% deeper than the previous model...I think they were correct if all you wanted to find was iron...

fred

i dontl like anything keene green" or anything  "Garrett gimmick"......the ad doesnt suprise me in the least bit.

Back when D Tex said their detector could detect a dollar bill because the ink having metal in it.

At that time I was swinging a White's BFO detector.

Chuck

16ft. Crikey!!  

16 feet deep!!!  If I was reading these adds back in the day I would be asking the dealer what sized excavator they were throwing in with the 24" coil. 

Like the teaser of a title you gave to the thread Steve

cheers RDD 

3 people like this

16 hours ago, Ridge Runner said:

Back when D Tex said their detector could detect a dollar bill because the ink having metal in it.

At that time I was swinging a White's BFO detector.

Chuck

I was in Oklahoma around 196?  and Bill Mahan was demostrating the paper money detecting ability of his D Tex detectors. They did produce a weak signal at very close distance, not sure if it was the paper money or the BS that was detected. I was also using  a Whites BFO at that time

That claim of detecting paper money permanently turned me off of D-Tex detectors. No wonder they were one of the early casualties of the detecting world.

Garret might have been deeper...

But White's was always SWEETER

IMG_1548.JPG

6 people like this

Tom

I remember that the plug for the coil looked like a plug for a 220 outlet but it worked. Thanks for the time travel back when everything came up silver.

Chuck

9 hours ago, Hobo said:

I was in Oklahoma around 196?  and Bill Mahan was demostrating the paper money detecting ability of his D Tex detectors. They did produce a weak signal at very close distance, not sure if it was the paper money or the BS that was detected. I was also using  a Whites BFO at that time

It works, I've done it. The ink used in paper money has iron in it, any good BFO will detect it but only an inch or so away.

4 hours ago, Geotech said:

It works, I've done it. The ink used in paper money has iron in it, any good BFO will detect it but only an inch or so away.

I couldn't help my curiosity after reading this so I got up and tested it. Figured I'd make a quick vid to share results if anyone is curious. I don't have a BFO detector but I still got some results on the GB2. I can sleep well now knowing. :biggrin:

3 people like this

Back in 1977, the catalog for my 1st detector, a "C Scope IB100" (UK make / Newforce) stated: 16" inches on a single coin and 2 ft and greater for larger objects!"

Why get a detector at all?   With these, you can just see into the ground!

XRayVisionGlasses.png

Edited by EastTexasChris
missing word in sentence.
1 person likes this

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Steve Herschbach
      A pretty fascinating set of photos posted over at http://md-hunter.com/homemade-metal-detector-amazing-photos/
    • By devilpookie
      I am curious as to which machine you prefer for inland gold jewelry hunting and why. Always like learning about other peoples machines and methods.
      Thank you.
    • By tboykin
      What kind of HMI (human/machine interface) do you like in a metal detector? Asking for... a friend.

CONTROLS-
      Knobs or buttons?
      One control per function or menu-based? If menu-based what kind of controls do you like to have at your fingertips?
      Examples of machines that, in your mind, "got it right" when it comes to controls
      AUDIO-
      Do you prefer beep and dig, or do you prefer machines that have "language" (i.e. multiple tones)?
      Any thoughts on Stereo Mixed Mode (like V3i - all metal in one ear, toneID in the other)?
      Iron ID - prefer a threshold NULL or a GRUNT?
      DISPLAY-
      What kind of info is essential for you to see? (personally I don't like screens, prefer to look at my surroundings)

Thanks to any who share their thoughts on this. I know it depends on what kind of machine, but for the sake of this thread let's say it's some flavor of VLF that is geared towards prospecting.
    • By Rick Kempf
      Over on the Geotec Forum, somebody (probably not a native speaker of English) posted a long rant on how all the folks over there were wasting their time trying to experiment with pulse induction detectors, that the future was with induction balance machines (or complex machines with IB coils such as the GPZ).  Eric Foster (who is generally acknowledged as being the pioneer of bringing the PI concept out of the physics lab and into field use) tossed the BS flag.  See below.
      Here is Erics input.
      After 50 years in PI there is no way I am goes to stop. PI is everywhere, airport security, underwater wreck hunting, gas and oil pipeline detection, tramp metal detection in mines and quarries, the best military and humanitarian mine detectors are PI. 

From what I see on this forum, there is a lot of very valuable and novel development work in PI being done by enthusiasts, outside of the largely secretive manufacturing establishments. Long may it continue.

There is plenty of room on this forum for all technologies, so there is no basis to feel threatened. Maybe Funfinder just had a bad dream in which he was encircled by PI detectorists displaying all their finds. Even the Grim Reaper has swapped his scythe for a PI detector 

Eric.

Having said that - are conventional PI detectors for nugget hunting in the same position as the Super Constellation or DC-7 - perfect piston driven airliners but a concept not capable of further development? ML's newest detector is a complex sort of hybrid and it uses IB searchcoils.
      Here is the link - the discussion runs to two pages now and is pretty interesting - including Carl Moreland (Carl NC) chiming in for more work on BFO's!
      http://www.geotech1.com/forums/showthread.php?23511-Stop-building-PI-detectors!

• By MDCHIEFSH
      Tieing into what daniel TN is saying for the only drawbacks...that is why i made those two wishes(see below).
      I could use my Wish 1  V series(multifrequency) unit for most everything but really tough ground where i would want my wish 2 gold/relic unit.  It's all about customer demand and numbers for these small manufacturers in the metal detecting space. I think often we the metal detector customers dont call the owners and let them know what is going on. Other causes call the owners, collect numbers online that show support, and gather money support online which always directs and causes change. Personally like many of you folks i get tired of waiting for the best machines to come out. Especially gold machines which can pay for themselves. I also get these companies are small and don't have infinite resources.
      But i think in the new online modern age WE can change that model. Like many folks today we can put up money for a kickstarter or indiegogo effort if white's would agree to such a crowd sourced development effort. Just like all other kickstarter/indiegogo cases those that invest larger amounts equal to the unit price get a free unit and more.
      For instance a 1000 investor/customers for each would be worth like...
      Wish 1 unit cost~2k-- available funding=2 million dollars
      Wish 2 unit cost-4k- available funding=4 million dollars
      I dont know if this the amount they need, less, or more to develop these units, it would depend on what White's said. But if minelab took 10 million for development of GPZ  as folks are claiming online.  i think 6 million dollars could get the job done quickly for whites on these two "wish" machines or something similar!  And they would get out the top 2 machines price/function wise on the high end for all metal detectorists.
      Steve--maybe this is something you talk to White's on and co-lead with White's the online/partners effort for? 
      Reminder of wishes...
      Wish 1---ultra-ultra rugged/water proof design(leupold like casing) for the V series. Shouldnt be too hard since leupold makes their stuff in newberg, oregon at 3D plastics not too far from whites electronics HQ. Want it to be chest mountable. Would love it if they could do what depar and xp are doing and add that fourth frequency for gold hunting! Then all of my gmt and mxsport coils could work on that unit. 
      Wish 2--same type of cased design as wish 1. But i want a super high power--nautilus level voltage(44Volts) + TDI level current--multi channel pulse gold/relic detector. I want more power to punch deeper into rough ground! I would also like some type of auto ground tuning to check strength, phase and other properties. While asking for my holy grail i want it to optimize the channels/pulses/machine to reduce the effect of the ground and environment around the machine based on profiles i setup on the fly or ahead of time. Also how about some ultra light weight accessory coils to compete with mindlab's new GPZ coils! Miner john, Coiltech or Detech could build these for white's if they think they are too low volume to make themselves.
    • By Norvic
      https://blog.csiro.au/finding-gold-rush/
      Not for us folks but maybe of interest.