Steve Herschbach

We Have Gone Backwards On Detection Depth Since 1973

21 posts in this topic

I was looking at some old metal detector catalogs and got a chuckle out of these charts from the 1973 Garrett catalog. People get up in arms about advertising claims these days but get a look at these. To their credit they say "large metal objects" and do not define what that is (dump truck?) but we are talking 1973 BFO detectors here. I need to ditch my new detectors and get one of those old machines! Unfortunately depths were measured in inches then, not feet, on normal targets.

The irony is the page is addressing "misleading advertising".

garrett-bfo-metal-detector-coil-depth-comparison-chart-1973.jpg

garrett-metal-detector-depth-illustration-1973.jpg

9 people like this

Crikey much more then 40% deeper than a Z. Eat your heart out ML.

I had one of those Garretts, back then I was more gullible and believed a lot of the advertising. About 4" on a coin if I remember correctly. Someone told me the word "gullible" wasn't in the dictionary and I believed him.LOL

hype ain't new...for years every new model from Garrett (to name one) was touted to go 20% deeper than the previous model...I think they were correct if all you wanted to find was iron...

fred

i dontl like anything keene green" or anything  "Garrett gimmick"......the ad doesnt suprise me in the least bit.

Back when D Tex said their detector could detect a dollar bill because the ink having metal in it.

At that time I was swinging a White's BFO detector.

Chuck

16ft. Crikey!!  

16 feet deep!!!  If I was reading these adds back in the day I would be asking the dealer what sized excavator they were throwing in with the 24" coil. 

Like the teaser of a title you gave to the thread Steve

cheers RDD 

3 people like this

16 hours ago, Ridge Runner said:

Back when D Tex said their detector could detect a dollar bill because the ink having metal in it.

At that time I was swinging a White's BFO detector.

Chuck

I was in Oklahoma around 196?  and Bill Mahan was demostrating the paper money detecting ability of his D Tex detectors. They did produce a weak signal at very close distance, not sure if it was the paper money or the BS that was detected. I was also using  a Whites BFO at that time

That claim of detecting paper money permanently turned me off of D-Tex detectors. No wonder they were one of the early casualties of the detecting world.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Ridge Runner
      I don't believe it's necessary to say the name of any detector.
      I do find if I swing with the right hand on some detectors all is well. Then others would be best if in the other hand.A lot has to do with what side the controls are on. Like some you find them on the side of the control box. Then others it has to do with the headphones and where they plug in. I dislike a detector that don't come with a stand. It don't go out the door until I make something to keep it off the ground.
      I think the best for all is when you find the controls above your hand and can be seen in either.
      Tell me if you find yourself standing on the wrong side of your detector. Just maybe yours is user friendly.
      Chuck 
    • By Steve Herschbach
      Really short video that illustrates a very basic difference between VLF and PI nugget detecting. It is not so much that a PI finds gold better but but that a PI ignores ground and hot rocks that make a VLF go nuts.

• By Rivers rat
      I think thats is really cool

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/272596388483?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Imagines a xterra on prospecting mode int hose rich gravel rivers..................................

A Explorer 2 waterproof is really good too..

RR
    • By MikePfeiffer
      I am writing this in hopes that some metal detector manufacturers will read this and see what is wanted by the people in the field.
      What manufacturer to you think is on the leading edge? (why)
      What manufacture do you think needs a wake up call?
      What is your favorite all purpose detector? (coin, jewelry, and relic)
      What is your favorite prospecting detector?
      What do you wish the manufacturers would incorporate in new machines?
      I am not going to answer the question as I do not feel my knowledge base is at the level of the people on this forum. I still use a 30 year old detector. Everything I have read shows that this forum has the highest knowledge base of ones I have seen. Add any additional question that you think may be of interest.
    • By Ringmoney
      I wont mention the brand for fears of any bias against the manufacturer. This is one for the tech heads on here, what does the following quote mean to you, is there any substance in it?

Now here is one for the nugget hunters on here, how does this compare to existing top of the line gold detectors?

• By Rick Kempf
      Fisher made it clear (accidently) a long time back what their new gold machine would be - it would utilize more than one frequency at a time. It will process signals in ways not done before. It will require fewer controls. It will provide new modes of operator feedback.
      Unfortunately the 2016 release date which was shown on the "leaked" information was not met.  
      Why does it take so long - what are they waiting for?  Here's something their Chief Designer, Dave Johnson posted a while back about the pace of detector development.
      It's a compromise between what marketing department wants to sell, and what engineering department is capable of delivering. Some products require years of development of new technology before they're ready to sell-- for example, the CZ was ten years between initial concept and product introduction, and the development process went through 18 different prototype designs.