kiwijw

GPZ 19 Coil & Other Matters

15 posts in this topic

Hi guys, As a lot of you will be aware the New 19" Zed coil has been getting a bit of a bashing on some forums. Namely in Australia where the coil has been out for a bit of time now. Not only that, but personal attacks on one person in particular. Jonathan Porter. A person who many of us have a lot of respect for & a person who has shared much over the years that has benefited us all in our pursuit of detecting for gold. I know he has personally helped me immensely over the years both with his unselfish sharing of what he has learnt by not only posting up on forums but in his videos & personal emails & products.  It is all very well & good to voice an opinion on a product, good or bad. If bad then hopefully the bad has some credibility to it & that the manufacturers sit up & take notice. But when that bad is directed to an individual, & continues to be directed to that individual in a relentless barrage then it is no wonder that that person clams up & goes silent. As has happened in the past.
For the benefit of you guys in the States that maybe dont frequent the Aussie forums, I put up this link.   http://golddetecting.4umer.net/t24682-gpz-19-coil-and-other-matters

Best of luck out there

JW :smile:
6 people like this

One thing about the knockers they are consistent in their comments, every new ML product, but also very consistently are proven totally wrong with time. Tis very depressing to me as we are running out of OZ companies, and to see one that leads the world by light years when it comes to gold detectors, yet their critics are OZ not only depressing they are insulting every OZ. 

I have proven on another OZ 4M this "hate" of Minelab just rubs off on anyone who publically defends Minelab. The main thing is as you have done JW we acknowledge JPs public courageous frankness and bat with him openly.

4 people like this

Yes, stand up for the right!  I rarely post on the Oz forum but when I see the dogs attacking the wolf I have to jump in...not that JP is unable to take care of his self...

from thousands of miles away, we got your back, Jonathan.

fred

5 people like this

I read the remarks in the link above. Jonathan Porter is an advocate whose reputation, experience and knowledge is impossible to dispute. His public stance is always clear and open. The thread has been provided with positive evidence both visual and experiential of the new coil's effectiveness so it makes the rudeness, suspicion and cynicism on display especially off-putting and sad.

3 people like this

Yeah unfortuently these Aussie forums demand truth and proof and when you give them proof they just dismiss it anyway.  They are taking constructive criticism to a whole new level and the hard part is most of them are running around with Minelabs in their hands.  JP has given us ways to use our Z's and with his new conservative settings for the Z19 really having an impact these haters should just suck it up a try, it's only been out for 2 months anyway and who has put enough hours on it yet to say otherwise.

2 people like this

Good on JP for not giving up, I would have.

If you were to come on the internet looking for info on the 19" coil all you would read about is the opinions of the overly loud minority.  Most people I know agree with JP but dont even bother replying there as its not worth the accusations of conspiracy theories that will start flying around.

2 people like this

Hi Fred, It was your posting on the Aussie forum that got me to put that link up on here. I dont want to appear have my head up JP's backside but I know a lot of you guys will have the same respect for Jonathan & all he has contributed to detecting over the years as I & many others have. Jonathan will know that there is a lot of respect & support for him out there but nice for him to be reminded amongst the flak. So hopefully he will stick around & not go silent as has happened in the past. Negativity does have the effect to wear you down so thanks guys for standing up & showing him your support in your comments & feedback.

Happy hunting

JW  

3 people like this

Hi Steve, Thanks to you too, for all your contributions to the detecting world over the years & for your heavy handed approach on any thing negative. It makes this forum rock & a great place to be with like minded people.

Best of luck out there

JW

3 people like this

Nothing wrong with being a Minelab dealer or representative, . JP has contributed so much to help shorten our learning curve and  get us out and to find gold with confidence. He is not just another salesman, he worked his way ground up by becoming a successful nuggethunter and now an entrepreneur. I say good for him,  and wish him much success.

5 people like this

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By principedeleon
      Editors Note: This topic was split from the following thread - http://www.detectorprospector.com/forum/topic/3923-semi-auto-gpz-ground-balance/

I believe there is a lot of reasons of trying to turn  GPX into a GPZ.
      They wont be never the same thing since they are in different technology .
      But anyone would like to walk around with an more affordable machine that could pack a punch of the " GREATEST".
      Im someone who started metal detecting and someday looking to upgrade to a heavier and more powerful machine.  
      So after reading the pro and cons of each one i would pick a GPX over GPZ even if i found a Pound of Gold.  
      -Lightest machine? GPX wins even with a larger coil.
      -Coils price and more coil options? GPX takes that.
      -immune to the hottest of ground? GPX i guess wins this since is a PI. Dont know where that ground exist but i know is out there.
      Okay so i have seen running a GPX with one of the newer coils could match the performace on depth on sub-gram nuggets and up.
      Now the GPZ would clearly stand out on tiny, spongy and specimen gold.  But wouldnt you have enough money left to even buy a SDC  2300?
      I just dont see the reason of boasting a machine for ability to pick up super tiny gold when you need to pay so much for it.  That headline for me fits more a GM1000 since its a way less expensive machine.  
    • By Sourdough Scott
      Went out yesterday for a full day of detecting. Wanted to try the new semi auto ground balance. Went with pretty much basic default settings otherwise. 
      I have to say I was quite pleased with it. I was in one of my beat to death patches. Lots of magnetic iron stones, hot rocks. It ran very smooth. It seemed I could separate the targets very distinctively. The small bits of wire were a raspy on the edges sound. The square nails were bangers. The non ferrous targets were about the same as the gold targets. Had one really weird target sound. I always dig those. But I usually dig everything 95% of the time. But the weird sound was gold. 
      Not sure if my focus was just better yesterday or it was the new ground balance. But my instincts were pretty spot on, on what the target was going to be. But very pleased with the new update and settings. The take wasn't too spectacular, but I avoided the skunk in a hammered patch. 

• By mn90403
      I've had my Zed now for over 2 years  and less than 3.  It is still under warranty.  
      About a year ago I notice the pixels on my screen had developed a line in the lower right corner.  I called Minelab and my only option was to send back the entire package in the original box.  I may have done this at the time but I would have to wait a couple of months to get it back as there were no replacements available.
      Soon after I called the pixel lines went away and I have been using it just fine.  Recently the pixel line has come back with even more lines.  It is just a little distracting especially based on what I paid for it!
      Last week I called Minelab and they said they had plenty of units available.  Call them back with the serial number and they would send an RMA number for me.  When I called back they asked me the problem and I told them.  I was then told I don't need to send back everything.  I could send them the screen portion of the detector only.  They would then send me a replacement screen which also has other parts of the brains in it.  I imagine there is a board in there with the video and other functions so that would be replaced also.  I don't know what is in the lower part of the detector.
      Has anyone had this 'fix' done and what are your results?
      They told me the day they get my screen will be the day they send out the new one.
      Mitchel
    • By Lunk
      Got out to the hills for a couple hours today to have a play with the new software update on the GPZ 7000.  Straightaway went to a spot that has variable hot ground that is noisy in the Normal Ground Type setting. The new Ground Smoothing with the Locate Patch option selected almost completely eliminated the ground noise, while still retaining really good sensitivity. It wasn't long before the first target revealed itself with a crisp, obvious response. Only an inch or so into the weathered quartzite bedrock, out popped a small, thin nugget:

Next I hit a patch of variable ground that was really noisy; in fact it proved to be too noisy even in Locate Patch, so I turned the Ground Smoothing off and switched the Ground Type from Normal to Difficult, increasing the Sensitivity to compensate. The noisy ground completely disappeared, and within a few swings I had a nice solid target. Three inches down was a chunky, ragged little piece of gold:

The new Semi-Auto Ground Balance Mode didn't seem to have much effect in the variable ground that I was hunting. Since this Mode fixes the X-balance, I assume it's meant more for uniformly hot mineralized ground types.
      The new Salty Soil Ground Smoothing mode was very chattery, even at low sensitivity levels and with Audio Smoothing set to High, so it's very susceptible to EMI, but to be fair I was in close proximity to power lines.
      All in all, a great update that provides more tools for the GPZ 7000 toolbox.

• By Steve Herschbach
      GPZ 7000 Firmware Installation Procedure (PC or Mac)
      1. Download the desired firmware version from the GPZ 7000 Downloads Page. You can update your GPZ to the latest version or roll back to any prior version using this method. IMPORTANT: Ensure your battery is fully charged before updating. Do not turn the detector off at any point during the update process, or the update will not be applied.
      2. Connect GPZ 7000 to the computer via the USB cable. A drive called ‘Minelab’ will appear.

3. Transfer the software update file. Open the ‘Minelab’ drive, then copy the software update file into it. The update files end with the extension ".ml3" - anything else is the wrong file. Wait for the file to completely transfer.
      4. Disconnect the GPZ 7000 from the computer by ejecting the drive and then unplugging the USB cable. The ‘USB Disconnected’ dialog will be displayed on the GPZ 7000 screen. This can take up to 2 minutes to complete.

5. Upgrade the GPZ 7000 firmware. At this point if the update file was properly transferred to the GPZ, the following dialog is displayed:

6. Select Upgrade to begin the firmware update. A progress bar will be displayed. If you select Cancel, the software update file you downloaded will be automatically deleted. You will need to download the update again (from step 1) to complete the process. If the Low Battery dialog is displayed, charge your battery and start the update process again.

7. Upgrade complete. When the upgrade is complete, GPZ 7000 will automatically turn off. When you power on again, the detector will start with the new firmware.
      8. Upgrade failure. If you experience any trouble applying the update, try following the update steps again from start to finish. If this does not work, contact your dealer or a Minelab Service Center.
      9. You can also check your detector’s software information at any time via the Version Information function on the Reset page.
       GPZ 7000 Firmware June 2017 (Second Update GPZ 7000 Firmware June 2017 (20170630).ml3 - Version Information will display 1.10.8-2052) (11.26 MB)
       GPZ 7000 Firmware October 2015 (First Update GPZ_7000_UPDATE_IMAGE_20151009.ml3 - Version Information will display 1.2.8-98) (9.69 MB) 
       GPZ 7000 Firmware January 2015 (Original Release GPZ_7000_UPDATE_IMAGE_20150130.ml3 - Version Information will display 1.0.8-57) (10.63 MB)
    • By mn90403
      As a result of the Minelab 7000 firmware update I had reason to revisit Xchange2.
      My story is that I had my main copy of Xchange2 on a computer that crashed.  My backup laptop included a copy that didn't support the 3030 and 7000.  I didn't want to loose the 3030 data so I renamed some files.
      When I used Google Chrome to go to Minelab and download the Xchange2 program a popup came from Google and said this was a fishing site or malware site and could not download the Xchange2 program.  I had to open the Microsoft Edge (Exchange Browser) and get the file and install it that way.
      Has anyone had Google Chrome block a Minelab download?
      Mitchel