kiwijw

GPZ 19 Coil & Other Matters

15 posts in this topic

Hi guys, As a lot of you will be aware the New 19" Zed coil has been getting a bit of a bashing on some forums. Namely in Australia where the coil has been out for a bit of time now. Not only that, but personal attacks on one person in particular. Jonathan Porter. A person who many of us have a lot of respect for & a person who has shared much over the years that has benefited us all in our pursuit of detecting for gold. I know he has personally helped me immensely over the years both with his unselfish sharing of what he has learnt by not only posting up on forums but in his videos & personal emails & products.  It is all very well & good to voice an opinion on a product, good or bad. If bad then hopefully the bad has some credibility to it & that the manufacturers sit up & take notice. But when that bad is directed to an individual, & continues to be directed to that individual in a relentless barrage then it is no wonder that that person clams up & goes silent. As has happened in the past.
For the benefit of you guys in the States that maybe dont frequent the Aussie forums, I put up this link.   http://golddetecting.4umer.net/t24682-gpz-19-coil-and-other-matters

Best of luck out there

JW :smile:
6 people like this

One thing about the knockers they are consistent in their comments, every new ML product, but also very consistently are proven totally wrong with time. Tis very depressing to me as we are running out of OZ companies, and to see one that leads the world by light years when it comes to gold detectors, yet their critics are OZ not only depressing they are insulting every OZ. 

I have proven on another OZ 4M this "hate" of Minelab just rubs off on anyone who publically defends Minelab. The main thing is as you have done JW we acknowledge JPs public courageous frankness and bat with him openly.

4 people like this

Yes, stand up for the right!  I rarely post on the Oz forum but when I see the dogs attacking the wolf I have to jump in...not that JP is unable to take care of his self...

from thousands of miles away, we got your back, Jonathan.

fred

5 people like this

I read the remarks in the link above. Jonathan Porter is an advocate whose reputation, experience and knowledge is impossible to dispute. His public stance is always clear and open. The thread has been provided with positive evidence both visual and experiential of the new coil's effectiveness so it makes the rudeness, suspicion and cynicism on display especially off-putting and sad.

3 people like this

Yeah unfortuently these Aussie forums demand truth and proof and when you give them proof they just dismiss it anyway.  They are taking constructive criticism to a whole new level and the hard part is most of them are running around with Minelabs in their hands.  JP has given us ways to use our Z's and with his new conservative settings for the Z19 really having an impact these haters should just suck it up a try, it's only been out for 2 months anyway and who has put enough hours on it yet to say otherwise.

2 people like this

Good on JP for not giving up, I would have.

If you were to come on the internet looking for info on the 19" coil all you would read about is the opinions of the overly loud minority.  Most people I know agree with JP but dont even bother replying there as its not worth the accusations of conspiracy theories that will start flying around.

2 people like this

Hi Fred, It was your posting on the Aussie forum that got me to put that link up on here. I dont want to appear have my head up JP's backside but I know a lot of you guys will have the same respect for Jonathan & all he has contributed to detecting over the years as I & many others have. Jonathan will know that there is a lot of respect & support for him out there but nice for him to be reminded amongst the flak. So hopefully he will stick around & not go silent as has happened in the past. Negativity does have the effect to wear you down so thanks guys for standing up & showing him your support in your comments & feedback.

Happy hunting

JW  

3 people like this

Hi Steve, Thanks to you too, for all your contributions to the detecting world over the years & for your heavy handed approach on any thing negative. It makes this forum rock & a great place to be with like minded people.

Best of luck out there

JW

3 people like this

Nothing wrong with being a Minelab dealer or representative, . JP has contributed so much to help shorten our learning curve and  get us out and to find gold with confidence. He is not just another salesman, he worked his way ground up by becoming a successful nuggethunter and now an entrepreneur. I say good for him,  and wish him much success.

5 people like this

As the author of a 'bashing a coil cover thread' I must say that I would not let such a rant touch upon JP or any of the other Minelab developers and innovators here or in Australia.  Their focus has been on using the technology to maximum advantage and I am a great beneficiary of their efforts.  The 7000 has provided me with more pleasure than any detector I've owned and other Minelab products have provided me and my wife even more.

Brand loyalty takes many forms for different products from automobiles, computers, headphones, cameras, etc., etc.  When someone bashes for purposes that don't suggest a benefit to the brand then they are a quite blind and stupid lot.  They should just spend their money and promote the brand of their choosing and leave the 'bashing' of other products to someone who wants to make those products better.  (They should also thank Minelab for making them so mad as to use their product to prove Minelab inept.  Many will make great finds with their equipment just to prove Minelab wrong!)

Good luck to those bashers as I don't want to read them.  Steve's forum is enough for me on such details.  I am hopelessly immersed in Minelab jargon from JP and others and hope to continue for many years.

There are times to express frustration as I did but as Norvic has said ... time has proven the technology.  Unfortunately this will NEVER win the day in a brand loyalty contest.

Mitchel

5 people like this

Proof is in the the post I posted yesterday, JP's advice helped me . By the way if you's read the link JW put on I was in the same area as JP's test ground !  Didn't know that 😏 But have had so luck .

Reguards 

Squizz

The following is what l replied to JP but before this l would like to add.

I could not understand why a certain individual keep attacking JP with such venom. However it appears to me over the last week or so that individual's intent has become so clear to those capable of reading between the lines. If anyone follows or reads the other forums on a regular basis sarting with his attacks on JP and the 19 inch coil and then read all his posts including his replies on the other forums and arrange his posts by time posted you will see a lot of contradictions and denials of vested interest by that individual. That individual has now miraculously become a Official tester for a certain detector even though he claimed to not know those involved in it or the members of a certain forum actively supporting it. So l urge you all to read the posts on the other forums and read between the lines and make you own mind up as to who you believe has the most interigity. My choice is JP and now my reply to JP which l posted on 4umer.

Good post JP look fwd to the vid

Regardless of whether you are a Minelab Tester  and some will say a vested interest. (If you ever offered to swap lifestyles with someone,  there would be a stampede and a queue from one end of the country to the other  of people willing to jump at the chance of trading places.)

I have also listened and taken note of your advice re detecting methods, setups and methods to suit various Minelab Detectors and can say the advice you give is fairly spot on with only a few tweeks here and their to suit different conditions.  

I actually now look back with amusement at the release of the 7000 and the disapointment of some early purchasers who were ready to rip it to bits. Yes it had some teething problems but once sorted with ferite and upgrade those same early doubters now reckon it is the best detector ever made. You stated early that the Zed was something special as far as detectors go and you were spot on.  

So regardless of what a minority say you have over the years in one way or another directly or indirectly helped nearly everyone who swings a detector whether they realise it or not. So who cares whether you have a vested interest or not you advice has benifited many.

1 person likes this

There is a difference between critical thinking and bashing. People often label anything but roses and sunshine as "bashing". Saying a skid plate is not designed properly based on using that same skid plate is not bashing, it is an observation based on use.

Bashing is just mindless negative commentary for no real reason other than to be negative, usually with some sort of agenda.

I really like critical thinkers. They help make the world a better place. Bashers and negative people are a different breed. They try to pull themselves up by pulling others down. At minimum they are the ones who create a problem for every solution. They are the ones who make an excuse for why gold can't be found before even trying.

3 people like this

JW - good thread to make others aware of what JP has to put up with.

JP - keep up the good work. Your information has been invaluable to me - and obviously heaps of others  

Steve - only a newbie-ish to detecting and the forum but it's addictive. You run a very informative and welcoming ship.  Thanks.  

mn90403 - "I am hopelessly immersed in Minelab jargon from JP and others and hope to continue for many years".  Love it!!  Very well put :smile:

Bed time here in Oz.  Goodnight :sleep:

Cya, Northeast. 

1 person likes this

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Condor
      I've been running Steve' s insanely hot settings non-stop for the past month.  I got my first ferrite very recently and have done daily start-up ground balancing, but keep it under the 10 second rule per JP.  My perception is the detector takes a few hrs to settle in.  At start-up in the morning she's pretty jittery but settles down after some run time.  Today I got into a field of strewn volcanics and it was a mess.   Those hot settings really light up the volcanics and my only solution was to remove self from affected area.  I ran into a guy running a GPX 4800 and he had also surrendered to the overload from the same volcanics.  Conversely, I covered some nearby shallow gullies and tiny nuggets were lit up like surface trash.  I got 7 nuggets that totaled 2.8 grams and everyone of them sounded off like a booming piece of trash.  The deepest target I dug was maybe 8 inches but sounded like bullet frag on the surface. 
      Today I chased one seam of red clay for a good long while, but when I switched to "difficult" it disappeared while still running a Sensitivity of 20.  
      Granted, I'm running some fairly quiet ground in SW AZ, so I have the advantage of letting the detector settle down before it drives me crazy with its antics.  I also have the advantage of detecting 3 or 4 hrs a day for at least 5 days a week, so we are mutually getting used to each other.   
      I don't think you can go out for a weekend in variable ground and expect these settings to work for you.  Your hearing and sanity will give out long before the detector settles in and your brain settles in to the nuances of this kind of detecting.  I was detecting with a fellow 7K user a couple weeks ago and he was running Sens 10 and still finding sub-gram nuggets and covering twice the ground.
      It's working for me so I'm sticking with it.  As Nevada Chris says "your mileage may vary". 

• By flakmagnet
      Is there anyone out there who is willing to explain a little more in depth about the Sensitivity setting in the GPZ7000 and how works in relation to the other settings? 
      Or perhaps point me to an existing discussion?
      I don’t feel I know enough to use it correctly and I know it's obviously important.
      Thank you in advance.
      David
    • By Reno Chris
      So I was out in the goldfields of California yesterday with Steve Herschbach and another friend who is a detector dealer. We did some quick tests comparing the 5000 and the GPZ on mossy, wiry gold that we had found previously. These were pieces from both Nevada and California.
      The smaller of the two nuggets shown in the attached photo weighs 3 grams and with an 11 inch mono set on maximum gain of 20, it was totally invisible to the 5000 - even when it was touching the coil. The detector made no response whatsoever. The GPZ on the other hand could see it at about 10 inches, and it was dug from a pounded patch that has seen many GPX detectors (including mine) at a depth of about 6 inches. The GPZ was set for difficult soil at only 12 sensitivity. So what is the performance improvement over the 5000 when one detector is blind to the piece and the other sees it at 10 inches? Mathematically speaking, it is an infinite improvement - a whole lot more than 40%.
      The larger of the two pieces pictured in this post weighs 18 grams and the 5000 could see it to a maximum of about 10 inches. The GPZ could see it at 20 inches, and it was dug with the GPZ at about 18 inches. Going from 10 inches to 20 inches is a 100% improvement - double the depth of detection and also a lot more than 40%.
      We also tested some specimen gold Steve had with similar results - the 5000 could not see the smaller specimens of a few grams size. 
      Of course we all know that the 5000 performs very well with more solid nuggets and specimens. I have found lots of gold with my 5000, it is an excellent detector.
      However, the GPZ is a gigantic improvement over the 5000 when it comes to mossy, wiry, prickly, specimen and other similar forms of gold.
      Some may say there is not much of this type of gold out there. I would say in response, if most of us are using detectors that perform poorly on that type of gold, how does the fact that we don't find much prove that it doesn't exist? Truth is that there is loads of specimen gold out there and I think the GPZ will be finding a lot of it in the coming weeks and months.
      Geologically, many of the places where the nugget gold is truly deep are locations where the patch is sitting as a residual over a vein, and having a detector optimized for specimen gold would make very good sense.
      Some hard rock deposits tend to produce this type of gold. Smart prospectors with GPZ detectors will be using this knowledge to their best advantage.
      For me, I have been doing research to find places which produce this type of gold and I intend to be using the coming months to leverage this performance increase to the greatest extent.

• By Nevada Brian
      Just recently we were detecting (all experienced detectorist) in the grasslands of California, with two GPZ's, one had the stock 14" coil and the other had the 19" coil and two GPX's one had the 17x13 Evo and the other had the Minelab 12x15.  Towards the end of the day, we decided to perform a test.  We buried about a 9mm slug 14" deep.  I went over the target with my GPZ, HY, Normal, Sen 15, Smoothing Off, and barely heard the target.  Same settings with the 19" but much better results.  Heard the target about three inches above the ground.  Next, the GPX with the Evo coil in Sharp, General, don't remember the gain but a smooth threshold with the gold screamer, and no signal.  The next detector is the one that is really giving me heart burn, the GPX with the 12x15 commander in Sensitive Extra, General, don't remember the gain but a smooth threshold with the stock battery.  It gave an obvious signal about 5 inches above the ground.  I could not believe how loud of a target response this stock GPX gave.
      After hearing the results from the GPX, I increased my Sensitiviy to 20, but there was too much ground noise to hear a target.  I also tried different ground and gold modes with the GPZ, but nothing compared to that GPX.  I wish we had more time to really investigate, but we were all tired, and the sun had already set behind the mountain.
      Is this just one of those scenarios that we must except and move on, or is there some credibility here???
      Has anyone done similar tests or can give some suggestions?
      Still scratching my head,
      Brian.
    • By vanursepaul
      Short video on my Tennessee 19" coil cover

https://goo.gl/photos/ZqXGgcG1yoGpT83B6
    • By kiwijw
      Hi guys, Mrs JW & I had spent most of Thursday doing some landscaping out the front of our place. We went down to the Shotover River & got some big slabs of schist for some path way stepping stones & did some tussock grass plantings. We had finished by about 3pm. Mrs JW said, "Do you want to go to ........ & do some detecting?" I hadnt been there for about 18 months due to not being able to get any more gold out of there so I sort of umed & arred....not sounding too keen on it. I was a bit knacked from wrestling with the slabs of schist & digging them in to place. "You havnt tried the Zed there have you?" No I havnt I said.....still not too keen. "I just want to get out of here & it is a nice place to be." she said. I couldnt argue with that so off we went.
      The last time I had been here so had someone else before me & had left big un filled holes. I was really pist off with that & the holes were still there. I pointed them out to Mrs JW. Oh...they are big she said. Not holding my breath I rigged up & got in to it. This area has had all the overburden ground sluiced off from the oldtimers right down to schist bed rock. I had done well here back with the 3000, 4500, GMT & GB2 until I was getting no more. Not 1 minute in to it & I backed up on what I thought was a very very faint signal on top of the schist bed rock. Well I'll be buggered. It was repetitive with each sweep. All be it ever so faint. Probably a lead pellet. Bit of a scrape of the top & it improved but was still in the schist. Down now in to the schist & getting deeper & better. Down in to a small deeper crevice in the schist.

How small is that. You can just see it on the coil in the above pic.

What gobsmacked me was the depth for such a small piece.

A few minutes later. Another very very faint signal.

Exactly the same scenario. Down in to a deeper schist crevice

Then another faint signal & down in to the schist wash. Wasnt in a crevice or schist bed rock but down a wee bit.

Still bloody small.

Then it dawned on me that I hadnt got one crap target. Just gold gold gold. One after the other. Shows how heavily this ground has been detected. No crap signals left.

I then wondered over to one of the unfilled dig holes & waved the coil in to it & around the outside. What was that?? A signal. I backed up & on the top outside edge of the hole was a definite signal.
      I scraped away at it & it was still there

Gold it was. Another very small bit. You may just make it out beside the G on the coil.

If not....here you go...

I walked back towards where Mrs JW was sitting waving the coil as I went ready to pack up & head off when I saw another shallow scrape from some one else in to the up on edge schist bed rock. Ha....they must have got a wee thin bit stuck in the on edge folds of schist. And as I do..... I waved the coil over there scrape. Well I'll be darned....a faint signal. Must me another thin piece jambed in there some where. They cant have re scanned there dig after recovering their target before moving on. BIG mistake. Well to cut a long dig short. It wasnt a shallow bit & I ended up having to smash in to the solid schist rock. No way I thought. Felt the pain for my pick....not to mention me trying to dig the bugger. Mrs JW was pissing herself with all the grunting & groaning coming from me. You may have to come back for it, she said. No way I said. This is going to be gold & I aint leaving it here.

It still wasnt out at this stage. Look at all that smashed out schist. Oh...my poor pick Oh well....back in to it

Look at the depth in to that soild schist & Mrs JW having a good laugh....at my exspense

Finally it was out  

Ended up with 6 bits for .88 of a gram  

Now I realised that on my very first day with the Zed that there was something very special about this detector. For me it was the depth it was getting small gold at. I realized that any bigger gold would take care of its self. I cant fathom why there was so much bagging of this detector from so many when it first came out. I can only put it down to people being so stuck in their detecting habbit ways with the PI's. The Zed is a different beast & needs to be used as such. I guess I am lucky that & a bit of water has flowed under the bridge since its release & learning curves been learned & I have benefited from that. One thing that really stands out for me is from what JP said. Be conservative with your settings. When I first used it I had the threshold up a bit & the sensitivity to the point where it was running a little bit ratty. Just like I did with the 3000 & 4500. Getting that top end max out of it. The thing with the Zed is the faintest of signals still lift with the thing toned down a bit & so getting rid of that Zed warble, especially with JP's B&Z Booster system. The swing arm helps immensely too. I wouldnt be with out it to get that total coil swing control. Even & parallel to the ground.
      Mrs JW & I did go out yesterday for a detect with a bit of success. We are in for a few crap weather days so this will be my last report for 2016. Will do yesterdays outing in the new Year. Cheers guys.

All the best to you all for 2017

Happy New Year          

JW