Silver In The Hole!... Wait... What?... Silver!

I got out of work early yesterday and headed to an old abandoned lot south of town. There used to be two houses there that are no longer standing. I hunted this site hard 4 years ago finding 163 coins (mostly silver dimes, quarters, wheat cents, and older Jefferson nickels). I also found a 30 year Ford commemorative coin, two silver rings, a distinguished flying cross from WW II, dog tags, cub scout pins, etc. I hunted it hard a couple dozen times and then left it alone. During my last hunt there I only found a silver war nickle at about 8 inches and figured it was pretty much hunted out.

I was reading an article about the White's MXT that suggested if you've hunted an area hard, you may have missed items if you used the same discrimination settings during all your hunts. With the fact that I have a new machine and taking the advice to use different discrimination settings, I figured that site would be worth another try.

At first the going was slow. I'm still learning the MX Sport and the machine seemed a little chatty. I made some adjustments and got it to settled down. I was really just hunting for gold since I hadn't found any before. I was thinking I could have missed gold with all the trash around there. After 30 minutes I got a nickel signal and dug hoping for gold! I was surprised to dig a nickel! What? You're kidding... could I have really missed a coin after all those hunts?

Now my hunt was not only for gold, but for more coins as well. Before long I dug another nickel! Unbelievable! Two missed coins! The hunt was now on...silver and gold here we go! I headed to the spot that had produced the most for me. As I was going along I remembered specifically that next to "that tree" I had dug a nice Mercury dime. Just as I arrived there I got VDI 82. Quarter! No... there can't be any quarters here, I hunted this spot out. There's a bunch of plumbing stuff all over the place here, it must be more plumbing stuff. HOWEVER... I decided to dig. Have you ever dug one of those holes where you just can't get a plug. Everything falls back into the hole, the roots get in the way, you know what I mean. I started hoping that it wasn't a silver quarter because by now I was convinced that I'd scratched it or even something worse with all the digging. 

Just then...SILVER...what?...a SILVER QUARTER! What? Are you kidding me? A SILVER QUARTER! 

During the rest of my hunt I also dug a 1963 Lincoln, a piece of silver bracelet, and a cool button. Thanks for looking, Tt
Attached Thumbnails Attached ThumbnailsClick image for larger version.   Name: IMG_1820.PNG  Views: 20  Size: 1.70 MB  ID: 1401014   Click image for larger version.   Name: IMG_1821.PNG  Views: 19  Size: 1.31 MB  ID: 1401015   Click image for larger version.   Name: IMG_1822.PNG  Views: 20  Size: 1.40 MB  ID: 1401016   Click image for larger version.   Name: IMG_1823.PNG  Views: 17  Size: 1.18 MB  ID: 1401017  
  • Like 6

Nice hunt and great story.  Shows it's smart to change up settings and detectors on a good property.  I'm going to try and run more detectors this coming year just for this reason. 

Bryan

• Like 1

Nice Quarter..

Kudos for experimenting..

When you get the time run your MXT in relic mode and set disc at 1.9..it will give the machine some hyper boost and also have you dig everything but nails...It will reallys show you what your site is made of so to speak..

keep tracking off and set gain as high as you can and  still intelligently hear a legitimate target from noise IF theres is any..

Opt for smaller than stock coil if the sites trashy too..

My favorite for 90 percent of hunting on MXT is the 6x8 SEF..

Thanks for the story

Hope you find many more goodies!!

Keith