Freezing Rain here in Kansas thought I would share my story if it's ok with Steve.

Two Gold Coins

It was July in 1985 I had been Metal Detecting since the early 60’s. I started with a Heath kit from Radio Shack than 2 Compass detectors Judge and Judge-2 , in 1983 I bought a Teknetics 8500 and converted it to a hip mount .

In July 1985 after a summer rain my brother was hunting arrow heads in a plowed field and a Deer had ran across the field his hoof had flipped over a 1880 Silver Dollar. I got a call that night from him and he told me the story said he would tell me where it was for half of what I found. That was agreed to so the next day we met and he took me to a field by a small creek and I commenced to hunt it. He started to hunt for Arrow heads again and I went to swinging my coil hoping for another silver dollar  the first hit was a 1882 Gold 5 Dollar coin I stared in disbelief my first gold coin and I would have to give him half. That was not going to happen

As it is in Kansas in July after a rain it gets very hot and I was swinging as fast as I could to cover more ground I was beat and left worrying how to share a 5 Dollar coin, after all I had agreed to half and keeping ones word is what I have learned to abide by.

The next day I was early at the site it was getting hot already  There were a few coins found Indian heads, a seated half, and liberty head nickels, early Wheat's and I was getting overheated when a front came through with a cool breeze that could only come from heaven.

Then it happened a hit and 1880 $5 gold coin appeared in the dirt, my worries were over I gave my brother his half of the Gold coins and I kept the rest of the coins that I had found.

Later we determined that it was a picnic grove from a small town a half mile away that was 4 houses and a church away from being a Ghost Town . My brother still has the Silver Dollar he found and the $5 gold coin I gave him  and I still have my first $5 Dollar gold coin

KS Stick.

• Like 6

I've been hunting from the mid 60's and yet to find a gold coin. Found a lot of old old silver coins but not one gold one. One time I found 30 silver coins all in the 1800 but again not one gold. I just keep on hunting and thinking it's got to be one gold coin waiting on me to find it.

Till Then

Chuck

Nice story. Have you found any more gold coins since then? At least you settled up. I'm still waiting on my younger brother to pay up from our pre election bet....

strick

Maybe it's just luck sometimes... Not the skill of a detectorist.

Once, being a licensed Land Surveyor, I was out in the woods marking a property line. I was pounding in a 4 foot survey lath when I glanced down at the base if it.

There, staring up at me was a gold coin!

Odd thing was, it was a 1984 Krugerrand IN A PLASTIC CASE!!

I figure a hunter lost it as I was nowhere near a road??

• Like 4

Yes Strick here is my story for the third one.

I worked for the Santa Fe Railroad as a Carman Welder for 38 years retiring the last day of 1999.

When I would go home after a bad day I would stop at a crossing of the Santa Fe Trail, I had permission from the owner to metal detect,  the first target that I dug I would put all my anger and troubles in the hole and cover it up so as not to take them home to the family. I sure hope the farmer didn’t take them home with him at harvest time.

Once there as I was leaving I noticed  some camp fire rocks and made note of them. Dec 6 1988 I had some time to go back and started to hunt around the rocks, not finding any thing I started to wonder off but some thing said go back to the camp fire site. Having dug mini musket balls I got a hit thinking it was another musket ball I plunged my digger in the ground and turned up a 1836 2 ½ dollar gold coin with a nice recover scratch on the face.  Feeling bad about the scratch but a wonderful find anyway  I put it in my collection. Later a friend made me a bezel and sold me a 14k 20 inch chain and I wear it daily , every time I put it on it brings back the memory of the day I found it.

At 79 years old I am still looking for another one. GOOD LUCK to all

KS Stick.

I

• Like 5

I am still looking for my first gold coin. Wonderful stories, thanks for sharing.

• Like 1