Quad For Reaching Remote Locations

We bought a couple Suzuki King Quads back in the 90's. I finally had to replace mine after 40,000 miles of hard use.

Never did a single repair to the engine. Just normal maintenance to the machine like brakes, U-joints and wheel bearings.

My wife's has 10,000 miles and still going strong.

Had a Yamaha Grizzly 600 briefly. I couldn't get rid of that one fast enough!

I currently have an Arctic Cat. At 9,500 miles it has required far more repair work than I have ever done on both Suzukis!

I won't be buying another one.

Just my experience.

Well, as an ATV dealer for many years, I can attest to what Dick has said. Unfortunately, even name brand models have service and parts availability issues. The problem has actually gotten worse in recent years as manufacturers buy into the "just in time" theory of parts management. Too often not enough field testing is done and the consumer is the guinea pig to see what works and what does not. This applies to most everything, not just ATVs. The best advice I can offer is to never buy models in the first year. The best solution is to buy very popular and common models that have the bugs worked out and which have widespread parts availability due to their popularity.

For your terrain conditions and gold prospection you need simple to repair and buletproof machines like Yamaha Rhino, Honda Rincon. Canam with Rotax engine is too compilicated.

Hey DDMK6,Sweet Cruiser!! I have a 71 That Ive owned since 1987.I used to commute 100miles a day to the Bay area in it,then come the weekend go wheelin.Now its sat neglected for last 12years,gonna sell it...just did some roof work in exchange for a nice 1979 CJ 5.

I wouldnt trust Chinese engines any farther than I can throw them. Cheap crap gets ya cheap crap,i.m.o.

• Like 1

Thanks Deathray...it's a 64.  I have a 73 as well, it's a real brush rig.  I can go through a patch of manzanita without even blinking.  I was considering a quad when I bought the 73.  I just figured it was easier to get in the rig and go than pulling a trailer, then wondering if someone was going to break into your truck while you were gone.

Enjoy that CJ 5.  Those are great rigs.

Kenny

• Like 1