How To Better Use The Sensitivity Setting On A GPZ 7000

JP,

How is the high yield with difficult? I haven't had much luck jumping over to the general in normal. Nor have I had luck in high yield in difficult. Now high yield normal is so damn hot. I've found 95% of my gold there. With the sensetivity at 14. B and Z at three and a half. And using killer bee headphones.

More terrific food for thought.

Thank you Jasong, Norvic, JP et al.

The sum of these comments is very helpful and great fun to read.

• Like 1

Thank you JP. Great explanation with examples. You really help to fill in the blanks where the manuals don't give examples. It makes me a better detectorist. Thank you for your time.Ā 

John

• Like 2

14 hours ago, kiwijw said:

I cant say or add anything more to that lot...... except....... that I have found that less is more.Ā 

I agree JW

its like a great pizza, I would rather have two pizza's,thin with less topping than one, thickĀ with heaps of topping and soggy.Ā 

I would rather spend the day with just enough information for my brain to process efficiently that being bombarded with too much.

thanks everyone for this great discussion.

Pete

Ā 

On 1/19/2017 at 10:04 AM, Steve Herschbach said:

More importantly, neither of us would ever advocate just using some settings gleaned off the internet as anything more than a starting point for your own experimentation, to find what works best for you in given locations depending on your own detecting style and preferences. Using some setting off the internet is like buying a car and then getting on the internet and asking which gear setting and throttle setting combination is best. It all depends on the road and the driver.

You absolutely correct Steve. Most people just want the magic settings when there is only start here and fix it to conditions.

Ā 

• 1 year later...
On 1/19/2017 at 10:04 AM, Steve Herschbach said:

There are two types of Gain or Sensitivity settings. One type boosts the actual transmit (TX) power of the detector. The other type boosts or amplifies the receive (RX) signal. The GPZ 7000 Sensitivity setting is the second type. That being the case increasing the sensitivity is not actually making the machine more powerful. You amplify signals from nuggets, but also from ground noise and electrical interference (EMI).

etc.....snip (see post)

Perfectly stated post. I got more from this post than I have from most others about settings.