JP On Using The New PRO-SONIC From Minelab

I was just emailed this question: "Just one question - Is this unit any better, or is it identical to the WM 12 Wireless Audio Mobile included with the GPZ?"

The WM12 is designed to connect wirelessly with the GPZ 7000. The Pro-Sonic has a transmitter that plugs into a detector audio jack, and then its receiver connects wirelessly to the transmitter. This allows it to be used with most any detector. The Pro-Sonic receiver will not make a direct wireless connection to the GPZ 7000 – the transmitter must be used. Different frequencies, and so they are not the same. You could use the Pro-Sonic with the GPZ but only by plugging the transmitter into the headphone jack.

The Pro-Sonic includes a volume control on the receiver/speaker module. The WM12 does not.

I have not used the Pro-Sonic myself but according to JPs review above “When comparing the inbuilt speaker of the WM 12 to the PRO-SONIC, the PRO-SONIC seems to have a crisper response compared to the WM 12, this could be down to the Volume control.” and “I prefer the way the WM 12 behaves when it drops audio, it is smoother and less intrusive to the ear when compared to the PRO-SONIC.”

26 minutes ago, Steve Herschbach said:

You could use the Pro-Sonic with the GPZ but only by plugging the transmitter into the headphone jack, at which point the WM12 would not work since the headphone connection takes over.

Steve,

the WM 12 continues to work when the headphone jack is used.  That is how I connected the oscilloscope up to both paths simultaneously to measure the 20 millisecond delay in another post on Bluetooth delay.

Have a good day,

Chet

• Like 1

That is excellent information, and why I like people to post questions on the forum. Now I learned something also! That gives a person a way to use the Pro-Sonic setup to create dual speakers for the GPZ 7000, though I still wish the wireless connection could be made directly, since the GPZ allows for multiple wireless connections.

I modified the post to delete that part. Thanks Chet.

• Like 1

The plot thickens. I wondered why I thought that and so I just did some checking. Sure enough, with the GPZ wirelessly connected to the WM12 module I can plug in my headphones and both work, meaning I could plug in a second external speaker using a B&Z booster and use it with the WM12 if I wished, creating a dual speaker system.

However, I tried the same thing on my CTX 3030. Activating the wireless on the CTX 3030 automatically shuts off both the built in speaker and the headphone connection. This means the Pro-Sonic could act as part of a wireless dual speaker system for the GPZ 7000 but not with the CTX 3030.

• Like 1

Steve, I've tried the using 2 x WM12 modules on my GPZ and to my ear there was a slight delay (very slight) which caused a harmonic wheeze that drove me nuts, also you had to be careful where you mounted the second one because it would drop out on its own sounding like a constant raising and lower of the volume. 

One would assume the PRO-SONIC running off the audio jack of the GPZ could potentially get out of sync with the WM 12 audio running of the WI-Stream. Something worth testing anyhow.

JP

• Like 2