GPZ Signal Responses

I get GPZ signal responses on targets (gold or like-sounding pieces of lead etc), that are both high-low and low-high using the same settings.

Can anyone educate me as to why both signals produce gold - even though the signals differ on similar size targets (mostly small), at the same relative depth?

Thanks!

• Like 1

The tones are merely an artifact of the ground balancing system. Depending on where the ground balance ends up at, possibly in conjunction with other settings, you will get either a hi-lo or lo-hi tone. In general hi-lo means small target and/or low conductive (short time constant) and lo-hi means large target and/or high conductive (long time constant). Whether a target is lead or gold or whatever is not part of the equation per se except as relates to metal conductivity.

Since the ground balance point changes depending where you are responses can change. Different ground modes will also change responses.

Similar responses can be had with any ground balancing PI detector. A person, with enough time in a given area, may learn that certain tones correlate with certain targets. Dangerous territory but it can be done. For instance, small gold normally goes hi-lo. Large iron junk normally goes lo-hi. This can help in areas where large nuggets are not likely. But a large gold nugget and even some smaller, round, solid nuggets will go lo-hi, hence the danger.

When in doubt - dig it out!

• Like 3

I can tell, with over 90% accuracy, weather a target is a nugget or trash. I just declare every target to be trash. If I get tired of digging trash than I simply go detecting where there is no trash.

• Like 3