Studying Geology Or Geologic Reports?

From too much geology study 25hrs a week.worth of GeoBabble.  But Did Find a new spot to detect Today Without Snow.. Southfacing , near an area that I witnessed w crossbedding in sedimentary sandstone( all firsts for me! applying sedimentary petrology learned recently to the structure! i.e.roadcut of a maybe? To try and detect?  what appeared to me to be an ancient streambed covered by ash.....Any Thoughts out there Experienced Operators care to share any thoughts be appreciated....that you are willing to about this exposure...Eye didnt have darn camera and phone was dead. when i spun around and parked the Cherokee,. the gravel looked out of reach??? it was prob. and average of 6ft below the top of the bench...ancient stream..pinched out sitting up there 45ft. straight up.. and 6-10 ft. below the scrub grass bench Surface....the 100yd exposed roadcut seam is 2meters thick baseball, softball,football, size cobbles w/some soccerball size boulders.down below a 4-6ft.ashy yellowish peach crumbly rhyolite I also assume....? those 2 layers are  sittin ontop of the more "massive 40-50ft exposure of crossbedded sandstone!! It's Beautiful to Me :wub:and its color is Grey...was goin to try the .45 00 w/ the 20inch NF Round or the 14inch NF round? I havnt actually havnt swung any detector Ever" "yet" over a piece of 'Nativegold" I'm A Newbie only in the sense of never hada season or day " yet" of 8hrs inthe field or 24 or 72 straight... just plinking around while learning as much from the Forum as well as The Best Minelab Operator's and Geologists i could find! have theright gear and playing the Exploration Geo" wannabe First before I "breakdown in tears :blush: and have to be a Spot Guy" and Go to Rye Patch... to get Lucky...for my first piece.(no offense) but  I'm more of a Pattern" Fisherman. And I'm Looking for Pounds Of Gold" Only place i can detect w/out snow for 100 miles...What Have I Got To Lose...Break myself in early.....where i wana go is 8 weeks to 4months before those areas open and the season begins for me....You Know  "The Start"! Share Anything You Want Even About Your "Start Preperations or Pre-tuning Your Gear or Your Head!

• Like 1

The Key phrase being "what have I got to loose". Go for it! Then post a report. It sounds like your gravel is inter volcanic and not original ancient channel. Take a couple of buckets with you and do some sample panning at home (in warm water).

• Like 2

:rolleyes: It continues....

Abstract

The geology of the Idaho batholith and its border zone is interpreted by papers in this volume. The geology of the northern (Bitterroot) lobe of the batholith is well described in chapters by Toth, Reid, Wiswall and Hyndman, and Bittner, who discuss aspects of the petrology, structural geology, emplacement history, and zones of migmatization, respectively. Criss and Fleck concentrate on chemical and isotopic evidence for the origin of the batholith and some of its hydrothermal systems. Onasch discusses the structural geology of the western border zone near Riggins; Bonnichsen describes the geology of the border zone farther south near New Meadows. Lewis and others concentrate their attention on ages, chemical compositions, emplacement history, and source regions of plutons in the southern (Atlanta) lobe of the batholith. Ages of intrusions in the batholith are well constrained by radiometric dating; excluding the complex western border zone, where some plutons from the accreted Blue Mountains island arc terrane may be structurally involved, most plutons composing the batholith crystallized between 95 and 45 Ma. Calc-alkaline volcanism began in central Oregon about 55 Ma, at approximately the same time that the last phase of plutonism began in the Idaho batholith. Major phases of Late Cretaceous and early Tertiary magmatism can be correlated with directions and rates of  Farallon and Pacific plate motions.     just 206 more pages  to go.

• Like 1

I have to admit my method is much simpler than trying to interpret regional geology. Has gold been found in the area in the past? If so, go detecting and put my coil over anything that looks interesting.

I prefer some sort of historical information by way of mining reports that indicates detectable placer gold has been found in an area. The next best would be reports of lode gold with "visible gold". In other words gold that can be seen with the naked eye. Many lode deposits are composed of microscopic gold too small too detect.

Geologic reports are my main source of information, but simply looking at a claims reporting system like that at Land Matters can also do the trick. Look for current areas with placer gold claims, then hunt surrounding unclaimed ground. The historical claims listing showing old but now defunct claims can also point you at places where somebody at least thought there may have been gold in the past.

• Like 2

Steve-thats as well put as can be! Thanks a Million!:biggrin:

I'll simply second Klunker and Steve as those are a couple of the dominate methods for prospecting.  Idaho has a lot of fine gold and more than a good chance of nugget gold.  I've panned around to the north of Boise and the Snake river and always found a bit but nothing detecting.  Give it a sample pan like Klunker suggests and see if Steve's insight to the area shows any old timers or current miners have shown any appreciation for the region.  Luck and heavy pans :)

• Like 1