Question For Them What Knows??

Rod K

I keep reading and hearing that a person will find MORE nuggets with a good VLF unit than a PI unit and my questions is WHY? If a person has a good PI machine that they know how to run that will find nuggets as small as a few tenths of a gram, in highly mineralized soil among Hot rocks where a VLF won't work or will at least Struggle to work, as well as in milder soil, then How can a VLF find more gold for them? I am completely New to Nugget hunting with a detector so take that in to account when answering please. But it would seem to me that the PI units would be the way to go if a person just had One machine to use? What am i Not understanding?   Any info appreciated.   Thanks

Controversial subject, my vote is PIs kill VLFs gold hunting overall. VLFs may have a use gold hunting but is very limited, unless there is a major tech advance in VLFs ability to handle mineralisation.  I used VLFs successfully before PIs, but now PIs have met their match with ZVT tech which is in its infancy. This is my take, the country I detect is only lightly mineralised.

• Like 1

Thanks for the reply Norvic. Appreciated.

When it comes to metal detecting and prospecting for gold blanket statements are almost never true. In general when dealing with highly mineralized ground and hot rocks PI detectors will be the better choice, especially with new models highly sensitive to gold that older PI detectors would miss. However, if hunting areas with nothing but very tiny gold or wire gold a hot VLF may be the way to go. PI detectors by the nature of how they function do not hit gold as small as a hot VLF, where small is measured in tenths of grains instead of tenths of grams. There are also some areas so dense with man made ferrous iron and steel trash that a good discriminating VLF can have the edge. It simply depends on the situation. I personally think both types of detectors, PI and VLF, are essential for any well outfitted detecting kit.

• Like 1

Thanks Steve, i was hoping you would chime in here. I can see where a VLF would be the answer in areas with lots of iron trash. Appreciate the answer.

New Trucks? Heck, i would just like to find enough to supplement social security.:rolleyes:

• Like 1

I have done really well with VLF vs cash, overall my bread and butter take home has always been better with a VLF.

I must be truthful in the fact that I have done pretty darn good with the PI vs cash also.

Research and feet on the ground is what has always done it for me. If the gold is there it's  alot easier...

• Like 5

Thanks for the reply. Yea, research is going to be the key. Not going to find Gold where there is none.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, TRINITYAU said:

I have done really well with VLF vs cash, overall my bread and butter take home has always been better with a VLF.

I must be truthful in the fact that I have done pretty darn good with the PI vs cash also.

Research and feet on the ground is what has always done it for me. If the gold is there it's  alot easier...

The truth be told!

If the gold is there it's a lot easier!

If you get training from Ray ... the first day is without a detector.  It is a distraction.