Just got back from my claims near Ridgecrest and couldn't believe how much rain and snow this area of the  high desert received in the past 2 months. Looking north west to north east, the southern Sierra Nevada, Inyo, Argus and Panamint mountain ranges were just blanketed in snow down to 4000"........just beautiful.  I can't remember the last time I've seen it like this. Standing  puddles of water all over the claim, so much for drywashin. Even dug several holes with the slightest hope of hitting something dry enough to run but no chance. One hole that I dug  4' deep by 4' wide actually had water starting to seep in at the bottom!  The only time mining the desert that I actually wished I had a power sluice back in the truck instead of my drywasher. 

Decided to go into town, have a beer and consider my options as I didn't feel like driving all the way back to San Diego so soon. Ran into an old timer at the bar who I've seen  working his claims near by and wandered over to say hi. He said that he'd seem me around as well and was glad that I came over and introduced myself. Dennis was his name and has been drywashing the area for over 40 years and a heck of a nice fella. He said that the last time he'd seen  so much winter rain around here (Randsburg) was well over 10 years ago and most areas  were not even fit for drywashing til fall! 

So I bought him a beer and split my Subway sandwich with him while he told me a couple stories and shared some great mining tips. Even though I didn't find so much as a speck of gold this weekend meeting this old miner was a rich experience in its self. Suppose I should get serious about that power sluice idea after all.

• Like 3

The four hour drive home made me think a lot about what I could do out there in the wet desert dirt and the first thing that came to mind was how easy the  sampling will be in those conditions. Not as much fun as mining but the rewards could really come in later when drywashing conditions return. 

I know guys that run portable ("sort of") wet recirculating recovery systems out there and the recovery is great on the finest gold  but..........its a labor intensive muddy pain in the butt.  I sure never thought I would be considering it. Sort of reminds me of that saying; "Man makes plans and God laughs"

• Like 2