Why Dig Zinc Pennies?

I have passed over hundreds of zinc and dime targets with the CTX in the past couple of years since acquiring it. I only dig that range if they sound unusual. Found small amount of gold rings but....they are mostly on the small to average side. Wonder how many of those zincs were honkers. On the flipside, My hunting time is limited to about 20-40 minutes every weekday morning and most target I come across are zincs, bottle caps, and tabs; would I have found the rings I do have if I would have spent all that time diggin junk? Will have to do a dig all NF for the next couple weeks and see what surfaces.

IMG_8607.JPG

• Like 4

46 minutes ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Looking at the picture I would say keep doing what you are doing! The big bucks is in women's rings, and they tend to come in below nickel and down into foil.

CTX hotspot on our wet sand seems to be 12-09 to 12-12 for most of these.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, strick said:

You got me wanting to dig more zinc now lol.......Nice ring do you remember how many grams? 

strick

If I remember correctly it was in the 13 to 15 gram range.

Thanks for the replies everyone.

Tom

• Like 1

Pictures of gold makes you antsy to get out doesn't it?

Hope the weather holds for this weekend.

HH
Mike

• Like 2

Guest Tnsharpshooter

Yep,,,some gold jewelry items,class rings,,trade tokens,,gold coins,,junk jewelry, all can resemble zinc penny signals.

Sometimes even a real worn half dime can do so as well.

This is also the price you pay sometimes for using a detector like a CTX.

It in a sense over processes targets,giving folks what they believe is security.

And they pass on a target,,,and the next person digs.

18 hours ago, plidn1 said:

A lot of gold is mixed with copper to get the rose color. If you pass on pennies, you're leaving gold in the ground.

Funny thing about how alloys effect the conductivity.  In actuality when alloyed together two high conductors read lower.  Take the ring I posted, although it has good mass, the fact that it is 20K or 83% pure gold helped push it up into the zinc range.

I have found many large 14K mens bands and none of them read much higher than tabs.

Tom

• Like 2

All great advice. I try not to over analyze the CTX.... just dig all things that hit good in the range I have discriminated out (in trashy parks) ...sometimes I'll open up the screen and dig anything that gives me a whisper. Just depends on where I'm at and what I'm looking for.

The Pendant has been confiscated ! 

20170205_181126.jpg

• Like 5