Why Dig Zinc Pennies?

On 2/9/2017 at 8:44 AM, strick said:

All great advice. I try not to over analyze the CTX.... just dig all things that hit good in the range I have discriminated out (in trashy parks) ...sometimes I'll open up the screen and dig anything that gives me a whisper. Just depends on where I'm at and what I'm looking for.

The Pendant has been confiscated ! 

20170205_181126.jpg

Ooooh, I like it!  I'm glad Hubby doesn't confiscate my "pretties".  Nice find!

• Like 3

3 hours ago, MontAmmie said:

Ooooh, I like it!  I'm glad Hubby doesn't confiscate my "pretties".  Nice find!

I hope you do well.. Cape Canaveral & Cocoa Beach have been extremely unproductive this year so far..

Swamp

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Swampstomper Al said:

I hope you do well.. Cape Canaveral & Cocoa Beach have been extremely unproductive this year so far..

Swamp

Melbourne and Satellite beaches are pretty barren too. On a positive note, most of that "re-nourishment" sand from 2 years ago seems to be gone.  And, of course, they are talking about another sand dump in late 2018 or early 2019.  They have to build an artificial reef first for those darling little endangered marine worms to call home before they can dump more sand on our coquina rocks.  I was out at Pelican Beach a few days ago and saw the barge about 100 yards off shore actually working on it.

Good luck to you too.  Gold rings are great, but I'm having fun and losing weight, so it's all good!

Ammie

• Like 2

I dug a nice, large men's wedding band and it have a solid zinc audio and ID number.  I was really surprised.  If I'd been rejecting zinc pennies that day I'd never recovered that one.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, MontAmmie said:

Melbourne and Satellite beaches are pretty barren too. On a positive note, most of that "re-nourishment" sand from 2 years ago seems to be gone.  And, of course, they are talking about another sand dump in late 2018 or early 2019.  They have to build an artificial reef first for those darling little endangered marine worms to call home before they can dump more sand on our coquina rocks.  I was out at Pelican Beach a few days ago and saw the barge about 100 yards off shore actually working on it.

Good luck to you too.  Gold rings are great, but I'm having fun and losing weight, so it's all good!

Ammie

Matthew was a very finicky hurricane.. Sat Bch / IHB / Melb Bch all had erosion with breaching in places, while CCB / CC and Wabasso down on the Treasure Coast had sand deposited on shore with a tide surge that only made it halfway to the dunes' toe.. Drive up the coast to N of Daytona Bch and by the time one gets to Flagler Bch is where it all got stripped bare with the coast road being undermined as well.. Weird..

The renourishment is kind of a double-edged sword, because 20 - 30 years ago it wasn't so much a renourshment project as it was an absolutely necessary beach rebuilding project.. As examples: In Cape Canaveral there once was a house on the SE corner of Washington Ave ( N of Adams Ave / S of Cherie Down Park & E of Presidential Ct ) that'd been built closer to the shore than the others.. In the late '80s - early '90s we got to watch the Atlantic Ocean undermine and partially collapse it before 'they' finally came along and tore it down before it went afloat.. During the same timeframe, in Cocoa Beach just S of Minutemen Cswy there were properties missing half or more of their backyards, in one case a mere 8' from the back porch.. Some folks had already hauled in coquina for shoring and were building their own jetties.. It wasn't until after threats of fist-a-cuffs and weaponry began circulating that the city / county / state / Fed / whomever finally came to a decision on how to get this thing done.. I don't think they chose the best way; they chose the quickest way, mainly because by that point there was no other way, and for whatever reasons ( possible hint = continual $$s exchanges? ) continue to use dredging / hauling and grading as the renourishment method..

About four winters ago they dug up the beach @ Ocean Park in Melb Bch to bury those large perf pipes that enhance ocean flowback to help inhibit erosion too.. I'm not up on all this stuff these days.. Bought a place inland in '92 to get out from under that rent thumb and one of the trade-offs is not seeing or hearing about certain dealings on a daily basis anymore..

Anyhow, that's the how & when of the renourishment programs' beginnings in this part of Brevard -- in many areas the beach for all intent & purpose was gone..

Swamp

EDIT: One can easily see the Cape Canaveral location in Google Earth.. And I do remember photos of the Washington Ave house and the Cocoa Beach backyards / dune cliffs being in the paper.. I imagine a search of their archives (if possible) will turn them up if one is curious..

• Like 2