• Announcements

• Steve Herschbach

Archives Closed - New Forums   10/16/2017

The old archive system has been closed and the threads moved to new forums. See the full forum listing here. Detailed explanation here.
Steve Herschbach

What Constitutes A New Prospecting Detector?

Like a lot of people I like keeping up on the latest and greatest. I am always on the lookout for something new in detecting.

However, now that we have several forums I have been thinking about what constitutes a prospecting detector these days as opposed to machines made for coin or relic detecting.

It is obvious that any detector specifically marketed as a prospecting detector is of interest on this forum. Ones where the advertising clearly is all about gold prospecting.

The problem is mostly with VLF detectors and the fact that nearly any decent VLF detector made these days can double as a prospecting metal detector. Machines designed to run in the "teens" from 13 kHz to 19 kHz are overrunning the market. Most are marketed as general purpose machines. Sure, you can also use them for prospecting, but there is nothing in particular about them that makes them of special interest to prospectors.

Two recent example on the forum; the Nokta Impact and the Rutus Alter 71. These are two new entries that run up to 20 kHz and 18.4 kHz respectively, and which can be used for prospecting along with the other uses the machines were designed for. However, neither of these detectors is being marketed specifically to prospectors but are aimed mostly at coin and relic hunters.

I don't care too much where threads start out. This forum software is really great and just keeps getting better. I can move threads around easily, and I can leave a thirty day temporary link pointing to the new location. An example right now is my moving the Nokta Impact thread from the Detector Prospector Forum to the Metal Detecting For Coins & Relic Forum.

In general from now on most new threads on VLF detectors will get started in the Coin & Relic Forum, or, after they start here, get moved when interest wanes on  the DP Forum.

Exceptions will be VLF type detectors that really are marketed specifically for prospecting, or which have exceptional capability in that regard. I do not consider machines running at 20 khz or lower to be rare any more. However, any VLF detector that offers 30 kHz or higher is exceptional still and so will get my interest as a possible nugget detector.

No big deal and nothing anyone need worry about. I will keep stuff sorted out but just wanted people to know what the rationale is behind some of the moves.

• Like 1

OK. Here is my two cents worth. all major credit cards accepted. If you are going to prospect for gold (nugget hunt) than get a nugget hunting detector. If you are coin and relic hunting get a coin and relic machine. A crescent wrench with a screwdriver welded to it will do a lot of things but will do nothing well. Technology is moving extremely fast so the day will soon arrive when a true dual purpose detector comes out but it aint here yet. When it does happen Steve H. will have a real dilemma for properly placing posts. 

• Like 2

I basically agree with that Norm. There is some overlap however. The White's MXT is the best example that comes to mind. There has been a lot of gold found with that detector although it is a general purpose machine. The difference is that when it came out it was a ground breaking design in that respect. These days mid-frequency do it all detectors are a dime a dozen.

Steve,

I wonder what thread Minelabs new Monster detector will fall in, I heard it will have different frequency's to select from????  A lot of times they will have demos at the gold shows, like they do during minelab conferences...

Dave

For me and this is my take for where I prospect, this is the detector I want currently. A Z with the weight of a Deus,(asking a lot I know) with a full function GPS that allows me to upload and download tracks and waypoints so as I can use the mapping software of my choice, and of course a smaller coil for such.

In regards to VLF hunting gold in my country, they will get gold no doubt in fact I`ve got gold recently with the Deus. But that was for good fun not for production, production for me is defined simply by consistency ie. the best chance to get gold on each trip that at the very least averages out to pay trip expenses. To express this similarly to KL screwdriver-wrench....Horses for Courses.

• Like 1

All I want is a small coil for my GPZ and the new DEUS high frequency coil. I guess we have to wait and see what else Minelab is cooking up right now, but that goes for others (Fisher?) also. So far nobody has been able to give me firm availability on the DEUS elliptical HF coil. And the GPZ small coil - I am not holding my breath.

I am plenty content with my GPZ / Gold Racer combo but the new DEUS coil could replace the Gold Racer as the companion unit for my GPZ, mainly just for being more compact. It remains to be seen if the DEUS running at a harmonic 55 kHz can match a Gold Racer running at a dedicated 56 kHz.

Steve, have you used a 14x9" evo on a 5000, or seen one in action?  

No Nenad, sold my GPX, I am GPZ all the way. I do not need a small coil for my GPZ so much as I just want a small coil. The stock coil is perfect for 90% of what I do. But for working in boulder patches or thick brush a smaller coil would be nice. I think a small coil would also put the GPZ on par with the SDC for tiny nuggets, though it is close enough with the stock coil.

I still list the GPX 5000 as a Steve's Pick of three essential prospecting detectors so it is not that I do not have respect for the GPX 5000. In my opinion it is tops for overall value and versatility. The GPZ just suits me better personally for what I do.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

It remains to be seen if the DEUS running at a harmonic 55 kHz can match a Gold Racer running at a dedicated 56 kHz.

Do we know for sure that 55 kHz will be a harmonic frequency or will it be the main frequency?

No. In my opinion that would be unlikely. I certainly could be wrong. It does not matter that much to me; all that matters is real world performance on found targets.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By mn90403
      While looking around on the Minelab site I came across this article by Bruce Candy.  It will certainly be a re-read for some but for me it was a first.
      There is much more than just Minelab in the article.  It included ground balancing, discrimination, gold detectors, coin detectors and a host of other related issues with knowing some of the technology about target detecting.
      It doesn't yet include ZED technology but does explain why it is so hard to have a gold detector that discriminates.  (When you discriminate you lose targets!)

http://www.minelab.com/__files/f/11043/KBA_METAL_DETECTOR_BASICS_&_THEORY.pdf
    • By Steve Herschbach
      This is an informal survey, just out of curiosity. For those of you who have been out prospecting in the last year (back to Sept 2014) and actually have found gold nuggets, what detector or detectors did you find the gold with? The poll is not meant to prove anything. I am just wondering what detectors are most commonly in use now for finding gold nuggets by those who are actually finding the gold.

I am posting this on the most of the active US forums so please do not post your answer in more than one place. In a week I will compile all the answers from all the forums and post the results back to each one. Thanks in advance for you participation.

I own a number of units but so far in the last year my gold was found with the Minelab GPZ 7000, SDC 2300, and a few nuggets in trashy areas with the Makro Racer.
    • By PhaseTech
      Thought I'd start a topic of a different nature. 
      What detector/s would you like to see reintroduced and why, and maybe a new feature or two if you dare. 

The reason I'm starting this is because there's been some real fine units come and go over the years, and I think some are worthy of some new time in the limelight. 

Model:
      Brand:
      Why should it be reintroduced?
      New features that would be nice:

Okay, this is really hard, but I'm going to limit it to 3:

Model: Sovereign GT
      Brand: Minelab
      Why should it be reintroduced? Still one of the best discriminating beach/shallow wading machines ever made
      New features that would be nice: A more compact control box that was at least weatherproof so i didn't have to chest mount the control box. 

Model: Goldmaster 3
      Brand: Whites
      Why should it be reintroduced? Seems like the appreciation for the GM3 came after it was long gone. 
      New features that would be nice: Auto Tracking option like on the GMT, and would be awesome to add a lower frequency to make it a bit more versatile for relics, hotter soils etc. Sort of like a GMT/MXT hybrid but in the old style chest mountable control box. 

Model: Diablo uMax
      Brand: Tesoro
      Why should it be reintroduced? So I could try one, and see what all the fuss is about :-) But seriously, a very lightweight "utility" gold machine should sell well, as long at it works. 
      New features that would be nice: A Disc mode with ground balance like the original lobo so you could use it for coins, jewellery and relics
    • By Steve Herschbach
      This subject comes up so often it is time to get it into its own thread so I can just link to it in the future.
      It is best to think of metal detectors made for prospecting as "nugget detectors" as that is the truth of the matter. Nuggets have some size to them.
      Metal detectors are electromagnetic devices, and as such can detect items that are conductive and non-magnetic, like gold, or non-conductive but magnetic, like magnetite. Or both, like metallic iron.
      When dealing with gold you are dealing only with conductivity. The more conductive the mass, the easier it is to detect. In general what this means is bigger is better. Any detector has a limit to how small an item it can detect.
      Here is the kicker. Multiple undetectable targets do not add up to create a detectable target. I do not know how many times I've seen or been told of people throwing a vial of small gold on the ground and running a detector over it and declaring the detector will not find gold because it does not pick up the vial of gold. Or people thinking the detector has a problem.
      Let us say that on a scale of 0 - 10 zero represents an undetectable piece of gold, and 10 one that really beeps. 0 + 0 + 0 + 0 + 0 still equals zero. So lots of tiny gold is just as undetectable as a single piece of tiny gold. You need a single conductive mass.
      Fine gold usually has a coating, and putting a bunch of fine gold in a vial still results in little or no signal. If the gold is super clean and packed tightly you will get a weak signal. Melt it all together, and now it goes beep.
      Another way to look at it is take some fine gold and pour it in a pile. Get a multimeter and test your little pile of gold for conductivity. It is hard to get much current if any through a loose pile of gold.
      So bottom line is you might have 5 ounces of fine gold right under your feet, and you will walk right over it with your metal detector. Rich gold ore where the gold is finely dispersed in the rock will be hard to detect or undetectable. Wiry or spongy masses of gold are hard to detect.
      Jewelry hunters run into this when trying to detect lost necklaces. A fine chain is very hard to detect as each link is undetectable and the connection between the links is poor enough the signals does not add up to much. Often all you can detect is the clasp. Rings even display this issue if the weld breaks. A complete ring really gives a great signal. Break the ring, it will be very hard to detect.
      Now once an item is detectable, it does add up. 10 + 10 = 20 so two large nuggets in the same spot are easier to detect than each by itself. If each link in the gold chain can be detected, then it will add up into a more detectable target. A fun trick with target id detectors is to tape 5 nickels together and run them under the coil. They will read as 25 cents!
    • By Steve Herschbach
      This is pretty simple. Straight shaft, or some kind of curved shaft? The most common curved shaft is the S rod but there are others. Please vote in the poll so it tallies results but if you want to add commentary/particulars that is great.

• By Ridge Runner
      I'm sure most of you have seen that the price of some of the greatest detectors are under a thousand. The major ones have keep the price between 7 and 8 hundred with some less. This is all good news for us the buyer. For what I see I'm not getting something less in the detector but more for my money.
      I think detector companies know it's more of us out there that is willing and can afford 8 hundred are less. With the higher number of sales because of the lower price they'll make more money in the long run.
      That's my opinion but I want to know yours.
      Chuck