The New Tesoro Mojave

Something new for you Tesoro fans finally. Tesoro has released a new model called the Tesoro Mojave. Tesoro website link. Interesting little machine, specs out like a deluxe Tesoro Compadre in my opinion (12 kHz, ED 180 discrimination) and for a list price of only $279.00 (discounted to $251 on the internet). The Compadre is a remarkably good little metal detector for its price but was always limited by a hard wired coil and one knob operation. For you Compadre fans this might take it to the next level. The Mojave uses Epsilon series 5 pin coils and so a large number of inexpensive coil options already exist.

New Tesoro Mojave Data Page

• Operating Frequency 12 kHz
  • Searchcoil Type Round, Concentric
  • Searchcoil Size 7" diameter
  • Searchcoil Family Epsilon
  • Cable Length Approx. 3'
  • Audio Frequency Approx. 630 Hz
  • Audio Output 1 ½" speaker and headphone jack
  • Headphone Compatibility ¼" stereo plug
  • Weight (may vary slightly) 2.2 lbs
  • Battery Requirement One 9 Volt DC (alkaline)
  • Battery Life (typical) 15 to 18 hours
  • Optimum Temp. Range 30° to 100° F
  • Optimum Humidity 0 to 75% R.H.
  • Operating Modes Silent Search Discriminate/ED 180
  • High/Low Ground Condition Selector Switch
  • Stealthy Black Micro Housing and Hardware
  • Fully Adjustable Sensitivity
  • HIGH/LOW Ground Selector
  • Fully Adjustable Tri-Colored Zone Discrimination
  • Waterproof Coil
  • Featherweight 2.2 pounds
  • Fully Adjustable rods
  • ¼" earphone jack
  • External Speaker
  • 9 Volt Battery for 15-18 hrs
  • All Epsilon 5 Pin Coils Interchangeable
  • Lifetime Warranty

Tesoro Mojave Owners Manual (Very Slow Download)

tesoro-mojave-metal-detector.jpg
Tesoro Mojave metal detector

tesoro-mojave-metal-detector-control-panel.jpg
Tesoro Mojave control panel

tesoro-epsilon-series-coils.jpg
Tesoro Mojave coil options

• Like 3

The new improved Compadre. Guessing they changed out the trimpot for a switch and regular resistors. Coil should be good though; Good size like the super 7. Ordered one this morning. Will test against a regular and modded compadre with a super 7 coil attached. I hope they juiced it up a bit. Hopefully this is foreshadowing more new releases in preparation for a new flagship. Seems like it would be easy for them to utilize the tejon platform, add tones with iron tone break, add notch, get rid of dual disc, bump the price up 200 bucks and call it done. Oh, and have the all black option for 30 bucks more.

• Like 3

Good Grace i got a feeling something is coming......this machine look good can wait for the video with a 4" coil......tesoro are good simple machine i had a lot of them and still own 2...they go a strong point like the GB it is a simple design which is perfect on my opinion for the river ,where the sand mud and water goes everywhere......i thought the MOJAVE was going to be like a Diablo UMAX....

RR

• 2 weeks later...

I think the most fun coin detector I ever had was the Silver Sabre...it sure loved silver, that was no misleading name. And I found my only gold coin with it, an English sovereign...some one made it into a broach...

this Mohave seems like a great little detector.

fred 

• Like 2

Fred I bought one of these Mojave's out of curiosity and frankly cabin fever with still over a foot of snow in my yard.  I have only been able to play with it in my basement with the nail board test and various targets, but it performs a lot like a Silver Sabre.         I would call it a cross between a Silver and Compadre because it does have the expanded Full Range 180 Discrimination like the Compadre.  At less than the price of a coil for my CTX the Mojave is a bargain.  I won't be able to test the new ground switch until the snow melts so I'm not sure how functional it is.  Should be a great detector to keep full time in the back of the truck for when you wished you had one.   It picked up a 2.5 grain nugget at 2 1/2" which I though was respectable for a cheap silent search detector.  If the bad ground switch works it might actually be usable as a nugget detector for the kids or friend along for the hunt.  With Tesoro's famous iron handling abilities you can use it for relic hunting too.

Bryan

• Like 3

IMO 630 Hz audio freq is just plain dumb.  Us old guys need 750 Hz minimum.  Listened to the audio on one of the vids and would not like it at all.

Tom